Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp Deaths

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    My shrimps have all conked off yesterday... The whole lot of them... Arrived home in the evening to see them all struggling at the base of the tank... SAEs and Otos are all right. 1 of the SAE has reddish stomach though. Dont think it is CO2 poisoning as the CO2 was not on yesterday. Any reasons....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Before We try and solve your problem, I would advise you to quickly scoop all the dead shrimp out.... rotting shrimp give off a nasty smell, and can cause your water quality to deteriorate fast.

Also, how long have you had the shrimp? And did you do anything recently that might affect their condition? Also whats your temp of the tank? and what type of shrimp are you having?
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The shrimps have been in the tank for a month.. Have not done anything new to the normal routine. Change 10% water weekly with interval topups due to evaporation. Adding of Liquid Ferts. Temp of tank is normally 26-28 degrees max. depending on temp of the day. Shrimps were Bee shrimps and Yamatos. Need to search the whole tank as there may be unknown deaths hidden.....
    The tank was setup approx. 1.5mths ago

----------------
    On 11/29/2002 9:34:32 AM

Before We try and solve your problem, I would advise you to quickly scoop all the dead shrimp out.... rotting shrimp give off a nasty smell, and can cause your water quality to deteriorate fast.

Also, how long have you had the shrimp? And did you do anything recently that might affect their condition? Also whats your temp of the tank? and what type of shrimp are you having?
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Hi,

I'm a beginner and I also experience shrimps deaths during the start. Like what other say, there are alot of factors causing ur shrimps to die. Might be the water condition, temperature or sudden change.

If you got alot of fishes and no bacteria to work on ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, naturally your shrimps might be poisoned even though you did water changes. Also, shrimps cannot tahan high temperature. It's best you keep them ard 25°C-27°C, although 27°C-29°C might be tolerable. Those shrimps, like bees and tigers, are especially sensitive to temperature. It might also be the sudden addition of liquid fertilizer. Might be you add too much LF causing some poisoning or so. Care to tell us what LF you add into your tank?
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmmm... what's the KH of your tank? Do you often leave the CO2 off?

If your KH is zero and you leave your CO2 off, the pH will rise quite a lot as the CO2 in the water is used up by the plants.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had that happen to my yamatos too.... the whole lot died with the exception of a single malayan while the rest of the fishes were swimming away happily....

I guessed that it may be O2 deficiency.... as during that time, I did not aerate the water at all and there was no CO2 added as well... so CO2 poisoning is out... but my strongest guess is still lack of O2.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site