Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: fish scratching body against wood, is it itch?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

fish scratching body against wood, is it itch?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys, if I see my fish scratch it's body against the driftwood occasionally, does it implies it has itch?

Has it got to do with the water? Any advice what I should do next?

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    If you have test kits check your water to be safe. If nothing is out of the ordinary observe your fish's behaviour once more. Is it one fish 'scratching' or is it more? Some fish naturally do appear to scratch themselves on rocks, its not exactly common.

Alarm bells shouldnt be ringing right away, perhaps do a water change a little more frequently, perhaps 10-20% twice a week. As you said in your post 'occasionally' is no great worry i would have thought. Occasionally i see my fish rub up against a rock, not often though.

If it becomes more frequent and/or you notice areas of skin/scales that appear to be sore or white spots appear on your livestocks body then you have an issue.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, I should have provided more information.

It is actually my pair of betta macrostoma. The fish is housed in a 15 inch cube planted tank, with 5 otocinclus and some shrimps as their treats. The PH is about 6.4. NO3 now should be 25 to 50 ppm. I have been doing about 40% water change once every 3 - 4 days. Water used for water change is aged water soaked in peak moss and barley straws. Temperature should be hovering around 26 - 28C. These are maintained by 2 fan blowing over the water. I have since used Seachem Prime to condition the water.

The 2 fish used to be so active that whenever I'm near the tank, they are asking for food. I will usually oblige by throwing in some sinking pellets and they take it like I will not feed them again.

The day before yesterday, I have added in a new pack of shrimps as treats for them. They are happy and within a while, their tummy is full. But since yesterday, I notice the female fish always stay at 1 corner of the tank. I try to feed it with light off, and it takes only a pellet or 2. When it's light on time, it is a little more active taking more pellet. But soon after that, she is in the same corner again. The rest of the fish is healthy as I can observe.

Today, I just saw the female fish rubbed against the wood, but I only saw it once.

So with these symptoms, low appetite (as compared to what it used to be), scratching, looking dull and inactive, I thought it might me due to itch.

What do you think.

I thought of getting Coppersafe to cure it. But I need some 2nd opinion before I did that.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Do you have a quarentine tank, or another small tank that can be set up easily? or already existing. It is for this purpose that i keep a small hang on filter readily set to go should a fish fall ill.

Sounds to me like it could possibly be itch, when my fish had itch i was told to use a remedy often used for internal infection/illness. I asked whether they thought it was an internal infection they said possibly, possibly could be itch too. Either way i used the treatment and it worked. Coppersafe sounds like a good option, i believe thats a similar to what i used.
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't have a ready tank that can be used to quarantine the fish.

I have thought about internal infections / parasites as well. So I tried to feed it with Sera Bakto tabs. However, it aren't eating it.

I have just added an air stone to the tank. They seems to be very curious of the new additions. More active to my delight. Maybe I will observe for a couple of days more. It might not be anything at all...I sure hope this is the case.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    If i had known you didnt have an air stone initially i would have suggested one. Not only do they add the apearance of your tank they are very good natural cures for some illnesses. The more oxygen in the water the healthier your fish are, hopefully this alone will solve your problem.

Fish are the most amazing creatures, i simply love adding new things to my tank and watching my gouramis come and poke the new introduction, whether it be another fish or equipment or decor.
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ya man, they are forever curious about things. That's where they gives us pleasures.

Have you ever tried an ozonizer to increase the dissolved oxygen level in the tank, if it ever is the purpose for such a device. It just comes to my mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    An ozonizer? What exactly does it do, i don't get it. What purpose does it serve?
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey friend, some readings which might serve useful.

http://www.athiel.com/lib5/redox.htm