Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sighting request: Glo fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, I'm looking for the above fish. Are they the pink zebra danios we usually see?

And is the quote true?

Somewhat ironically, although the fish were produced in Singapore, retailers there are not able to sell the fish due to issues with the licensing and problems in the laws surrounding intellectual property. Those importing GM fish into Singapore risk a S$10,000 fine or imprisonment. One supplier has already fallen foul of the law after importing transgenic fish from a supplier in Taiwan, where the fish have been on sale through the Taikong Corporation's Azoo Aquarium.
    http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...article_id=119

I'm looking for the green coloured ones.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    usually pink ones can be found. green ones are quite rarely spotted.
    I remember seeing greens ones want it just came out.
    Chee Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm are you sure the pink ones are glofish? the pink doesn't look very striking like the ones in their webby leh.

Anyway, anyone seen the green and orange ones?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    in nus labs lor..haha...beg borrow steal........haha..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think they shine black light (or UV) to intensify the glow. Never seen the green or purple ones sold here.

Old pic. Pardon the quality.

Personally, I like my Danios in their original colours.

ck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    strange leh, the glo fish was "invented" in Singapore but I can't find the green and orange ones. Can I import the green and orange ones here?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    These are hybrid fish... I personally don't think that we should buy hybrid fish... I ever bought the pink zebra danios and I really regret buying them. I hope people will stop buying hybrid fish... if there are no demands, nobody will start to invent 'aliens' again. No offence
    ~| MakE ThE BesT oF EverythinG ThaT LifE BringS TheiR WaY! |~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    erm...this is not a hybrid fish. Its a transgenic fish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by daveteogh View Post
    These are hybrid fish... I personally don't think that we should buy hybrid fish... I ever bought the pink zebra danios and I really regret buying them. I hope people will stop buying hybrid fish... if there are no demands, nobody will start to invent 'aliens' again. No offence
    FYI, these genetically modified fish were not "invented" for the aquarium hobby. They were engineered for a greater cause, and later adopted by aquarists.
    Cheers,
    Sean

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    No offence, but i don't think it's for the greater cause. IMO they are just phrasing it to justify their "God Play". There are much more ways to monitor the enviroment. Currently many types of sensitive fishes have died off because of the pollutants & they can't use they as biomonitors? They have claimed that the fishes are specially treated so they will not reproduce so as not to disrrupt the nature biology. But the fact that an aquarist managed to reproduce they & mix breed with other Dainos, tells you that whatever they say & claimed is crap! Just imagine that one or 2 gets out & managed to breed in the wild! It will be a real disaster! I just wish that NUS will stop playing GOD, & let nature be.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To quote your quote from http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...article_id=119:
    Somewhat ironically, although the fish were produced in Singapore, retailers there are not able to sell the fish due to issues with the licensing and problems in the laws surrounding intellectual property. Those importing GM fish into Singapore risk a S$10,000 fine or imprisonment. One supplier has already fallen foul of the law after importing transgenic fish from a supplier in Taiwan, where the fish have been on sale through the Taikong Corporation's Azoo Aquarium.

Why then would it be strange not to find them here?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    See Wikipedia, GloFish, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GloFish (as of May. 20, 2008, 06:55 GMT)

I think it may have started out as a scientific experiment, but eventually, it may very well be influenced by commercial and/or business decisions. A deal was signed with Yorktown to market the fish.

I always had the impression that genetic modification (GM) products (in Singapore) are also subjected to a legal(?) framework on the engineering ethics and consumption/usage safety. This framework did not exist at that time and only has been launched in May 2006. (Genetic Modification Advisory Committee, http://www.gmac.gov.sg/)

I believe that there are processes (in depth scientific based studies) in place to determine the consumption/usage safety of GM products. Any GM products would need go through years of tests and studies in order to be approved. So these could also be the many issues on selling the fish here. *shrug*

Just a thought, if these are generally accepted, what is stopping anyone from creating other GM fishes for "aesthetic" purposes? The list will just be endless...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Glow in the dark apistogramma xP

I had a couple of these (Glo Zebra Danios) in shanghai, they grow much faster than the regular Danios and seem to have to eat constantly.. lifespan also appears to be shorter... its a horrible fish....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It may not be so easy to create GM fishes as many people think. Zebra fish was chosen as a model organism, as with Drosophila (fruit fly), xenopus (frog), arabidopsis (plant) and mouse, because it was easy to breed, short doubling time and have relatively large egg for manipulation. The florescent gene has always been used as a "reporting gene" because you can visually see the effect on the animal. There had been other glow-in-the-dark organisms around e.g. orchid, mice, cats etc. At anypoint of time, there will be someone in the scientific community creating another glowing organism, it is just that this may not get spin-offed into a commercial venture and the purpose of creating it may not be as straight forward.

ck