Country
    Singapore

Question about stocking of dwarf shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I started my cherry shrimp tank 6 month ago. So far so good, I have around 40~50 cherry. In fact, my tank is doing well as my cherry are breeding in my tank. I forget to mentioned, my planted tank is roughly 1.5ftx1ftx1ft with a fan on for 24/7 with a overhead filteration system.

I just bought 10 CRS (low grade) just to see whether my tank are okay for CRS. The CRS was really swimming around when they just arrived but I think they have settle down after 2 days.

I know breeding CRS is more difficult as the condition is tougher. I would like to know whether is 50 shrimps in 1 tank too much? Is it necessary for me to remove some shrimps? I also top-up with tank with aged water everyday due to lose of water from evaporation. Is there any thing else that I need to maintain water condition?
    Last edited by r0663664; 20th May 2008 at 16:08.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO 50 shrimps is fine. But if i were you i would remove some cherry shrimps. Maybe you can sell some of them away.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I once had more than 300 cherry shrimp in my 2ft X 1.5ft X 1ft tank with small amount of moss. Using a small power head only. So in your case, should be fine.

Do let us know if your CRS will survive or not using fan cos I may want to try keeping CRS at home using fan to keep my tank cool. Whats the temp of your tank?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 22nd May 2008 at 17:07. Reason: SMS lingo: 'ur'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi jt1, i'm keeping CRS, BDS, Cherry, Green, Orange and a few other types in a 2ft x 1ft x 1.5ft tank in total about 200 plus pcs using a fan to cool and it seem okay so far. temp is between 26 to 27.2.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 22nd May 2008 at 17:07. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Does anyone have any images of that many shrimps in a tank that size? I literally cannot imagine it. It seems monsterously over-stocked. How can it be possible to keep so many in a tank that size. Unless there microscopic, or the tanks are bigger than you say, or perhaps your 2ft tanks are different to a uk 2ft tank?.

300 shrimp in what a 100 litre tank? roughly, It sounds outragous. So if anyone has got a pic of how it looks please please please do post it.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    For shrimp tank, 1cm per litre.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    So technically i could have 180 shrimp in my tank? Haha, thats amazing. But that still doesnt answer how people get 300 in a 2ft x 1ft x 1.5ft tank? Which is smaller than mine.

Does anyone know why stocking levels for shrimp is different to fish?
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Depends on which types of tank you want. A breeding tank with 50 cherries is still managable since your tank is pretty matured and can handle the bioload. Exceeding double this amount will be difficult though. Most people upgrade their tanks or sell their cherries to maintain specific count.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ohh.. so for my case, how many Cherry (or simply shrimps) can I squeeze into my 1-foot cube tank? [Already have: 2 guppies, 2 otos, 2 ramshorn snails, 2 bumblebee gobies & lately added 3 endlers...]

Intend to buy some cherries & put into my tank soon...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by chelseaman67 View Post
    Hi jt1, i'm keeping CRS, BDS, Cherry, Green, Orange and a few other types in a 2ft x 1ft x 1.5ft tank in total about 200 plus pcs using a fan to cool and it seem okay so far. temp is between 26 to 27.2.
    Thanks for the info. Think I will try keeping some CRS at home to see if they will survive but perhaps a little later on. My tank hit a temp of 29deg yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    Does anyone have any images of that many shrimps in a tank that size? I literally cannot imagine it. It seems monsterously over-stocked. How can it be possible to keep so many in a tank that size. Unless there microscopic, or the tanks are bigger than you say, or perhaps your 2ft tanks are different to a uk 2ft tank?.

300 shrimp in what a 100 litre tank? roughly, It sounds outragous. So if anyone has got a pic of how it looks please please please do post it.
    Hi, it is possible. In fact by my rough estimate and not being modest, there are actually more than 400 shrimps including shrimplets in my 80litre tank. The reason how I know it was I decomission my tank and sort of house my shrimps in a pail of water overnight thinking that they would survive but unfortunately, they didnt. Some pics of the tank but unfortunately, the quality is poor as it was a few yeas ago. Look closely and you may see many shrimps on the ground.
    Last edited by jt1; 25th Jul 2009 at 14:14.