Country
    England

Freshwater tankmates for...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    GOLDFISH

haha yes, i would like to know if anyone has anything unusual/exotic or anything really, that can be kept with goldfish. I have a 65 litre tank with 3 goldfish. The're rescued We had 20 in a garden pond and within a month 17 died, and the last 3 i saved and put in a tank.

Now has come the time when i think i'm going to add something, a companion...however unsual. Not sure what though, i've thought of weather loaches ect. There in a tank fully scaped, rocks, DW and plain aquarium stones, nothing special for plant growth. Its currently un-heated and my lights are broken, yet my crypts in there are clinging on. Mending the above mentioned with spur growth, so thats no worry.

Does anyone have any ideas for companions, just throw names at me so i can google it and see. I tried a few larger snails, but my goldfish killed them haha
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Weather loaches could be fine as they are coldwater fish, as is your goldfish. I don't know of any other coldwater fish, so can't recommend any other and personally wouldn't recommend tropical fishes as their requirements are different.

When keeping goldfish with other fishes, two things come to mind. Firstly, other fishes should not be small enough that the goldfish could swallow. Secondly, be sure to provide enough food for other fishes because goldfish, as you would have already know, is a voracious eater.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    I've read a few articles and bristle-nose plecs and corydoras are recommended. due to being great scavengers and they will accept many vegetables. My goldfish are currently in a heated tank so its ready set for any suitable tropicals. Obviously i'm not daft and won't be adding totally unrealistic companions such as piranha or tetras and any other unsuitable tank mates. Apple snails came highly recommended too.

What do people reckon to a small crab? Just a shot in the dark, the idea quite intrigues me. The 3 goldfish i have are of a large enough size, biggest ones atleast 7 inch and the smallest is atleast 4. So a small crab shouldnt eat them surely? Or could it possibly be the other way around!
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i always thought golden algae eaters (aka chinese algae eater) would look pretty cool in a goldfish tank planted with lots of lotus. hmmm. but they might get aggressive to the goldfish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Crabs aren't recommended with fish because they may eat them, and even if they don't, they may attack them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Yes, i had a feeling this would be the case. My thoughts were confirmed last time i was in a shop. Saw these little red crabs in a tank with some other fish (can't remember what) swimming around above. In this tank was a small cone shaped piece of wood, inwhich the crabs sat on top. A few had their pincers out and were almost waiting for a fish to swim near. Quite amusing. Crabs are definately out of the question.

I think for the time being they shall have to make do with Ramhorn snails (i think thats there name). Shall maybe get BNP and some weather loaches.
    Verminator