Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

strange behaviour by blue emperor tetra

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    bought 6 blue emperor tetras from Ben's yesterday. and now today, i noticed 2 of them engaging in this strange behaviour. They were swirling around each other, like chasing each other's tail while their bodies were slightly rubbing against each other. Is this breeding or are they fighting? I didn't notice any eggs though. this happened about 5+ mins as far as I noticed.

Cheers
    Boon Yong
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sounds like a social dispute between males...emperor tetras are known to be pretty agressive amoung themselves.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sounds like breeding behaviour to me
    tis the season to be jolly, falalalalalalalala []

i found quite a few gourami eggs under my floating plants and some unknown eggs on the c. balansae in my 4ft tank
    should be the weather triggering spawns

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 11/30/2002 11:39:41 PM

bought 6 blue emperor tetras from Ben's yesterday. and now today, i noticed 2 of them engaging in this strange behaviour. They were swirling around each other, like chasing each other's tail while their bodies were slightly rubbing against each other. Is this breeding or are they fighting? I didn't notice any eggs though. this happened about 5+ mins as far as I noticed.

Cheers
    Boon Yong
    ----------------

I see my SAEs doing that rather frequently and I thought "What a pair of hor*y fish!" . So far, never noticed any baby SAEs though[]
    -----------------------------
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    saw a pair of my emperor in a certain dance few weeks ago as well. The female even dropped several brownish translucent bubbles on a long blade of a apono. sp which i assume to be eggs. But they are very quickly grabbed by other fishes around.

And just few nights ago, saw this male keeping chasing (gently probing) a female into/behind the big bush of jopnica blyxa near a overhanging driftwood. Any fishes that goes near would be fended off by the male. Is this also part of mating behavior?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/3/2002 9:25:12 AM

saw a pair of my emperor in a certain dance few weeks ago as well. The female even dropped several brownish translucent bubbles on a long blade of a apono. sp which i assume to be eggs. But they are very quickly grabbed by other fishes around.

And just few nights ago, saw this male keeping chasing (gently probing) a female into/behind the big bush of jopnica blyxa near a overhanging driftwood. Any fishes that goes near would be fended off by the male. Is this also part of mating behavior?
    ----------------
    just to clarify first, is there a difference in behaviour between emperor tetra and blue emperor tetra?

anyway, i've not seen my tetras repeat that behaviour for the past few days...
    Boon Yong
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    of course
    two totally different species that happen to look alike
    one is light blue, the other is dark blue

Feedback Score
    sounds like mating to me.
    i've personally watched neon tetras and black tetras mate like this.i guess blue emperor tetras
    are not very different