Thread: New Tank Setup- Help...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    ok I'm a bit blur in the mornings... do you switch off your CO2 at night? The gasping for air could either be due to nitrite or CO2... I'm thinking that its not likely to be CO2 as your Juwel tank has a built in overflow system right (at least I think thats what u meant by a built in surface skimmer?). So I think you should check your nitrite levels, and do a 40-50% water change if needed
    Allen

----------------
    On 12/11/2002 8:38:46 AM

Found a couple of fishes swimming at the surface gasping for air i guess. Is this due to lack of oxygen in the water overnite when the lights/CO2 are off or is this due to the high nitrite levels in the water?

----------------
    Hi, I think you should do partial water changes regardless... If your CO2 is off during the night, then it shouldn't be due to CO2 poisoning.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi , my tank dunt have an overflow system. The filter sits in a corner of the tank and it has a surface skimmer which leads to the filter.

and yes , i switch off the lights and CO2 at nite.

Will do a 30% water change tonite. hope it helps.

Would you guys recommend putting in an airstone at nite? so that oxygen levels are ok in the morning?

----------------
    On 12/11/2002 11:04:50 AM

Would you guys recommend putting in an airstone at nite? so that oxygen levels are ok in the morning?
    ----------------
    Airstone might not be a bad idea. However, before I got my solenoid, I had my CO2 on 24hrs in my 3ft (has abt 60 shrimps, 50 cardinals and 5 otos) without any CO2 poisoning (abt 2bps). By the way, are your plants bubbling? I understand that you can only see O2 bubbles from plants only if your water is already saturated with O2. I could be wrong...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope , my plants do not bubble. What could i be missing for it to bubble?

Lights : 56watts (All tubes with reflectors which will give x 1.5 the total
    watts?)

Using Arcadia Freshwater and tropical plants tubes

Co2 : 2 bps

Above 2 are switched on from 10am to 10pm daily.

The plants are growing pretty fast but no bubbles.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Blades,

your lighting hours are a bit long (12hours continuous) and your lights a bit weak for a 120L... When we consider wattage we never consider the reflector, mainly cuz reflector is sort of assumed. Overall its better to increase your lights and shorted the hours than vice versa.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Does the plants only bubble when the water is saturated with O2? If no bubbles , would it mean that there is not enuff oxygen dissolved in the water?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    if you do not see bubbling, it just means that the water is not saturated with o2. to get o2 saturation, you need sufficient light and nutrients.

depending on your bioload, there could be sufficient o2 for tank inmates. if there is not enough o2 in your tank, the tank inmates will be gasping near the water surface.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok , thanks for the tips. right now , I will be working on :

i) to get my tank stabilized
    ii) white spots eradicated
    iii)very low ammonia , nitrite levels

I hope all this can be done in the next 1 or 2 weeks.

Normally tanks of my size would need about 1 month to stabilise? would frequent water changes extend the cycling period?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    what are you using to eradicate white spots? salt or medication?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Salt bath , i added 1 tbsp for every 5 gallons... so i added 6 tbsp of aquarium salt to the tank. Also running an UV sterilizer for 24 hours to help combat the free swimming devils and other possible bad bacteria in my tank.

Planning to run my UV light after hours once the white spots goes away. 10 hours a nite enuff for preventive measures?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry for interjecting again, but why are quite a few people (apart from Discus die-hards) resorting to UV as a cure-all? Yes, UV systems kills free-swimming pathogens, but for the cost, isn't it better in the long run to exercise good husbandry (controlled feeding, regular water tests/changes, NO overcrowding, care in selecting fish at LFS etc)?

I recently added a fan to lower my tank temperature from 30C to 26-27C. Not unexpectedly, a bit of whitespot became evident on some loaches and tetras. So I upped the salt dosage, did more regular water changes and the bugs went off after a week or so. I think if the fish are fairly healthy in the first place, they won't succumb to ich readily.

Feedback Score
    Sorry to interrupt. On the next monday i will start my project. And i will go to Nature Aquarium ( Which is said to have everything i need).

Can you list what thing should i get.

My budget is $200

Tell me what Substrate should i buy, what gravel, and other essenntial things.

Note that i only have 2ft tank.

this is what already in my mind

1.Eheim Internal filter -$20-40
    2.PL 2x36watts ( Is this enough to bubbles riccia) -$100
    3.?
    4.?
    5.?
    6.?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/11/2002 12:27:17 PM
    depending on your bioload, there could be sufficient o2 for tank inmates. if there is not enough o2 in your tank, the tank inmates will be gasping near the water surface.
    ----------------
    Just a small note. If I remember correctly, CO2 toxicity is caused not so much by the lack of O2 in the water, but by high levels of CO2. As you can know, fish take in O2 and give out CO2... as do most living things. When high CO2 levels are present in the water, the exchange of CO2 (breathe out) for O2 (breathe in) is inefficient. As such CO2 begins to accumulate in the blood of the fish. This leads to their blood becoming more acidic, and in severe cases cause what is known as blood acidosis (which is ultimately what kills them). I believe the reason why fish gasp at the surface is not so much because there is more O2 there, but because there is less CO2 (due to higher levels of outgassing).
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen,

You are right if it's due to overdose of CO2.

In overloaded (fish-load) and bare (or poorly planted) tanks with no aeration, it would be due to lack of oxygen in the water.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Blades,

High light plants need about 3W/Gallon. Also the case if you want riccia to pearl. As I understand, some forumers with short (height) tanks, can get pearling riccia with 2.somthing W/G of light and dosing potassium.

So your 33G tank needs about 99W of light.

Your CO2 is about 25 to 30ppm (based on your pH-KH measurements), on the high side but still tolerable for the fishes.

I think it's most likely nitrite poisoning getting to the gills of the fishes. Up the lights as soon as you can... the higher levels of O2 from photosynthesising plants will help the fish breathe. Get a bacteria seeding solution to accelerate the bacteria colonisation process.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Talking about O2, a thought just came to mind. Since the tank water needs to be saturated with O2 before bubbling occurs, why is it not a common practice to bubble O2 into a tank just like we bubble CO2 (diffuser, reactor etc)? This O2 will be good for both the flora and fauna right(algae included of course)?

Just thinking aloud...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz , any recommendations for the seeding of bacteria? any particular brands?

For lights , I have 2 x 18W & 1 x 20W lights for my 2.5ft tank with 33G capacity.

Pure wattage = 56W
    Reflector effect = x1.5?
    Total = 84W?

Is the calculation correct?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/11/2002 2:52:15 PM

Talking about O2, a thought just came to mind. Since the tank water needs to be saturated with O2 before bubbling occurs, why is it not a common practice to bubble O2 into a tank just like we bubble CO2 (diffuser, reactor etc)? This O2 will be good for both the flora and fauna right(algae included of course)?

Just thinking aloud...
    ----------------
    Bubble O2? Buy another cylinder to inject O2... I don't think anyone will invest so much money just to see their plants bubble.

O2 beyond saturation in not needed for fishes. In fact there are claims that too high O2 is not good for plants in terms of O2 toxicity and nutrients oxidation.

If you are talking about using air pumps, you are likely to drive away the saturated O2... not to mention CO2... instead of doing any good.

BC

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry for interjecting again, but i have been wondering, why does Technology rather Knowledge and Understanding seem to the preferred one-shot solution to achieving a goal? The latter can be attained via some research online at little cost, while hardware are costly investments that may only be part of the answer.

Yes, technology (such as CO2 systems) has been invaluable in propagating the planted tank hobby, but if one can rely on it alone, any Dick with the $$$ would be able to do it. Granted, planted tanks are a wonder to behold, and many newbies want to quickly achieve the same look as those show tanks in LFS. But surely something that's worth attaining is worth the trouble of at least a little effort in seeking accumulated and readily available wisdom?

Budak in Luddite gear

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast