Thread: New Tank Setup- Help...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    It will slow it down slightly...but at least it will keep your fishes and shrimps alive...don't you want to keep them alive? []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Of course , will do another water change later tonite then.. at wat levels would nitrite be considered dangerous to fishes/shrimp?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Like peter said... some impact, but imo, if your nitrite levels are high change water.... water is cheap, fish cost $$$ & bacteria free...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/11/2002 1:19:36 PM

Sorry to interrupt. On the next monday i will start my project. And i will go to Nature Aquarium ( Which is said to have everything i need).

Can you list what thing should i get.

My budget is $200

Tell me what Substrate should i buy, what gravel, and other essenntial things.

Note that i only have 2ft tank.

this is what already in my mind

1.Eheim Internal filter -$20-40

2.PL 2x36watts ( Is this enough to bubbles riccia) -$100

3.?

4.?

5.?

6.?

----------------

You can consider the Dennerle substrate, about $40 - 55... (Get the pre-mixed one, already has gravel and fertilisers)

Unless you want a Driftwood set-up, this can be optional.

Also a DIY CO2 would be better as your budget is limited. Recipie for DIY CO2 is available easily on the net and on this forum too...

You may need an algae crew to be on standby, get the yamato shrimps or malayan shrimps and some otos or SAEs....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Wah piang eh, *koff koff* how come this generation want spoon-feeding hah? Dunno how to go library to borrow book can at least search archives right? Or can ask Chan at Nature... everything want others to specify, ownself do some homework lah...

mrs budak no patience liao....
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Can u spoonfeed me too please??

IF you would excuse my mrs, slapshock, i think many issues encountered by newbies have been run through ad infinitum and ad nauseum in the forum, so a search through some of the old posts (and many recent ones) should yield the answers you need. But if you still have a particular problem that the old threads can't solve, bring it up and then we could all learn something as well.

It's coming close to that time of the year, and I think it's good to remember that giving (info) is as rewarding as receiving it. I see quite a few have developed from "tellmes" to "tellyouwhat", which is a sign that people are learning from their own experience.

Oh dar dar, spoon-feed u can but I'm still stuck at work. cry....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    On another note , I have just changed 20-30% of water and added about 1.5 tbps of salt to continue the fight againts the damn white spots.

The symptoms seems to be reducing and I for one am very very glad.

Found another dead Malayan[]

These fellows are knocking off one by one.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    not sure if anyone mentioned it, but invertebrates are known to be VERY sensitive to even low levels of nitrite and nitrate, so bear that in mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    From what I read in the forum , basically nitrites will take care of itself in due time due to the bacteria converting the nitrites to nitrates.

As for Nitrates , the plants will use it up for fertilizers and the balance can be eliminated by freq water changes (20-30% every 2 weeks)

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Blades, your tank is barely two weeks ago. The biological filter (the denitrifying bacteria) has barely begun. The maturing process can take up to a month or more, before NH4/NO2/NO3 levels recede to very low levels. So in the meantime, since you have a fair number of tank inhabitants, frequent water changes are needed to keep the N levels down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Budak , I am doing a 20% water change every even day while waiting for the biological filter to kick in. Hope this is enuff water changes or chould i do a daily 20% water change?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Blades,

Settle your lights sooner. Without enough lights, your plants will not photosynthesise effectively, thus will not absorb as much nutrients including NH3. Which leaves a lot more NH3 to be converted to NO2.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz , NH3 is nitrate?

----------------
    On 12/12/2002 9:45:49 PM

On another note , I have just changed 20-30% of water and added about 1.5 tbps of salt to continue the fight againts the damn white spots.

The symptoms seems to be reducing and I for one am very very glad.

Found another dead Malayan[]

These fellows are knocking off one by one.
    ----------------
    Ah boy-boy ah, mrs budak wanna lecture u, your tank only 4 days old only and you throw in all the fish and shrimps, some more start pumping CO2 and all that. Number 1 rule in starting a new tank is to let water finish cycling first to establish nitrogen cycle (at least 1 week). The most is add 1 or 2 hardy fish, not 6 neons and 10 shrimps! Ever heard of "New Tank Syndrome"?

So, your fish are falling sick and your shrimps are dying. And you're doing all those water changes to bring down nitrite and nitrate when actually the water should be left pretty much untouched to establish cycle. Like that ah, dunno how much longer it will take for nitrogen cycle to establish. But what else can you do? Boh-pian. Haiyah..... tsk tsk tsk.

Nobody here lecture u yet 'cos wanna help you, but you must learn this lesson! Next time when you wanna set up new tank, make sure you do some reading up first and be patient!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyway , planning to add another 20W light which brings the total wattage to 76w for a 33 gallon tank. hope thats sufficient cos no more space for me to add more lights already

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yes maam! heheeh , chialat , kena lecture already.

Will rememeber all the kind advice when doing my next tank..

Planning to move house in 6 months and will definately do a bigger tank then. hopefully can get a 6 or 8 foot tank.

at least its better for me to do all the mistakes in the smaller 2.5ft tan first become i do the bigger tank rite?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Blades, NH3 = ammonia.

Mrs Budak, quit crying, stop hanging around here, finish your work and run home to spoon-feed Mr. Budak. (Or is it the otehr way round?) []
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

----------------
    On 12/12/2002 11:32:27 PM

Blades,

Settle your lights sooner. Without enough lights, your plants will not photosynthesise effectively, thus will not absorb as much nutrients including NH3. Which leaves a lot more NH3 to be converted to NO2.
    ----------------
    Throw in duckweed lor, it will eventually take over the tank unless owner keeps the amt low, but is super-efficient in absorbing nitrate. The messy part of cleaning up duckweed is boh-pian.

Feedback Score
    Thats why the forum is here, its for newbies to ask something and for old birn to share, there's no such this as "SPOON-FEED" here..

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast