Images
    Country
    Singapore

corkscrew vallisneria - melting like MAD

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    recently bought two pots of this plant at C328 on last saturday (2 days before vesak day).

on the 2nd day i took it out of the pots, it started melting a little, thought it was normal... but just yesterday almost everything melted.

when i first brought back the corkscrew val, the leaves were over 15cm tall.. now they're more like 5-6cm... is this normal? they looked healthy, one even had a runner, at C328 though a couple of them were already melting away. the roots of the plants, however, still look pretty healthy and parts just above the roots are still green...

i'm using about 1.5inch depth of black riversand, with 1.5inch depth of sera floredepot as the base substrate..

no Co2 injection, about 2.5wpg, dosed one full dose of seachem flourish after WC (which was when i introduced the plants), recommended daily dosage amount every other day...

any ideas what i'm doing wrong? heard that corkscrew vals are supposed to be quite easy to take care of.. =/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Vals could be suffering from transplant shock. Just keep the parameters stable and they should recover quite quickly.

If their roots are still healthy and not damaged, they should recover and take over your tank pretty soon.
    Mizu World - Understanding your Aquatic Needs
    Web: http://www.mizuworld.com Email: [email protected] Contact: +6597857957 (Ben)

Distributor of

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizu World View Post
    The Vals could be suffering from transplant shock. Just keep the parameters stable and they should recover quite quickly.

If their roots are still healthy and not damaged, they should recover and take over your tank pretty soon.
    thanks for the encouragement hope it really recovers sooooooon! i think they'll look very nice in my tank.. ok will just keep my fingers crossed and hope they survive the ordeal.. they're in very bad shape now..

so what have i done wrong? i usually plant removing the rock wool completely.. should i leave some of them on the roots and when they're stable and growing healthily i remove them? or just leave it there permanently?

i've also been trimming the melted portions of the leaves cos i read somewhere it'll help the plant to recover faster or something..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just check the roots. If they are still white and strong, they can recover from pretty much anything. Just be patient.
    Mizu World - Understanding your Aquatic Needs
    Web: http://www.mizuworld.com Email: [email protected] Contact: +6597857957 (Ben)

Distributor of

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by antitrust View Post
    recently bought two pots of this plant at C328 on last saturday (2 days before vesak day).

on the 2nd day i took it out of the pots, it started melting a little, thought it was normal... but just yesterday almost everything melted.

when i first brought back the corkscrew val, the leaves were over 15cm tall.. now they're more like 5-6cm... is this normal? they looked healthy, one even had a runner, at C328 though a couple of them were already melting away. the roots of the plants, however, still look pretty healthy and parts just above the roots are still green...

i'm using about 1.5inch depth of black riversand, with 1.5inch depth of sera floredepot as the base substrate..

no Co2 injection, about 2.5wpg, dosed one full dose of seachem flourish after WC (which was when i introduced the plants), recommended daily dosage amount every other day...

any ideas what i'm doing wrong? heard that corkscrew vals are supposed to be quite easy to take care of.. =/
    what is your tank temp?this is critical at this time of the year

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by newtank View Post
    what is your tank temp?this is critical at this time of the year
    tank temp should be at about 30 deg. no fan... my other plants are doing well, such as hairgrass, and another grassy plant thats like a thin blade cow grass thingy. they're all fine and in fact they're having runners...

the corkscrew vallisnerias have so far stabilised, none of them are melting anymore... but i'm left with very little leaves now, hope they start to grow from here.. are they sensitive to temperature? i thought they're supposed to be hardy and easy to care for... hmmmm

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by antitrust View Post
    tank temp should be at about 30 deg. no fan... my other plants are doing well, such as hairgrass, and another grassy plant thats like a thin blade cow grass thingy. they're all fine and in fact they're having runners...

the corkscrew vallisnerias have so far stabilised, none of them are melting anymore... but i'm left with very little leaves now, hope they start to grow from here.. are they sensitive to temperature? i thought they're supposed to be hardy and easy to care for... hmmmm
    I ever had "Wu Gong" plant melted on me before, they were supposed to be hardy also. But once I put in a fan and replanted new ones, they grew out of control

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by newtank View Post
    I ever had "Wu Gong" plant melted on me before, they were supposed to be hardy also. But once I put in a fan and replanted new ones, they grew out of control
    hmmmmmm okay. i shall not be lazy this weekend and drag myself down to Sim Lim Tower to get myself some connectors and maybe another fan....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think your corkscrew val just go through acclimatising period. I grow cv in my low tech, no CO2, no fan tank. They shed the long leaves initially. But after the acclimatising period, they just grow wild.
    ~Loke

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
    I think your corkscrew val just go through acclimatising period. I grow cv in my low tech, no CO2, no fan tank. They shed the long leaves initially. But after the acclimatising period, they just grow wild.
    cool. think its week 2 they're in my tank now... think they're starting to grow a little bit now... looks greener than a week ago definitely.