Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: newbie tank

Feedback Score

newbie tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi everyone , i just bought a new 2ft tank yesterday and was thinking of making it into a planted tank . however , i lack the knowledge in this area and have only heard of a few things . I have a few qn to ask, please help me , THX

tank stats -
    73 litres
    15w lighting
    drip-type filter ( the one that comes with the tank on the top)
    anti-chlorine used
    haven't test for ph lvl , but the shopowner says for a 2ft tank , all i need to test is ph . that is if i let the water "mature"

Questions -
    1) do i need a CO2 generator ? from wat i heard , theres a type of co2 where by u add it into the water instead of pumping co2 into the tank

2)what is the desired temp ? even though i put my tank at a dark area outside my room , its temp is still abt 28 - 30C[:0]

3) wat kind of plant should i put for my foregrd ? any suggestion would be most helpful
    here fishy fish fishy . here shirmpy shirmpy here is my noobie tank(3wk)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi chia, perhaprs u like to look through the FAQ

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Feel free to ask any question back here after you've read through the Aquatic FAQ.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    chia, PMed you. check under My Profile to retrieve the PM.

Feedback Score
    thx for the help anakin . really , helps me alot so i should change my light ? should i change my filter too ? it has a pipe that leads it into the water so there is no or little disturbance caused by it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a 2 ft tank as well, you have to change the filter if u wanna plant. And if you select less light intensive plants so tt you dun hafta dispense co2 for now. I myself use a 15w light and it aint too good for my moss but the rest ie. java fern, sword are doing ok. Enjoy your tank, and be selctive when stocking your fish, choose the best looking ones, i get mine from TB, they're pretty good condition of all the LFs in Spore.. Hope tt helped []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    One more thing, i use an internal filter tt pumps 280 litres per hr(norm the standard is a filter tt pumps bout 3 x e size of your tank, use tt as a guide), its pretty gd for tanks our size, pay no more than $20, can find it @ Neo Kim Suey Aq at Hougang South, its a reliable brand - Leader.

Feedback Score
    thx man , u guys are the best . i would have created a desert if not for all this info. i.m gettting a 36 watt dual light bulb lighting . i bought a co2 bottle called "bioco2" it pumps in co2 by connecting the plastic bottle to a tube like an air pump ( kinda like DIY) . I'm gonna get rid of my drip type filter and replace it with a 240 L/h internal filter . its so small , and cheap too [] thx man T_T and i just bought a big book of plants called "nature aquarium" by takashi amano . looks good[:]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    chia,

Did you find the Aquatic FAQ useful? Particularly "Things needed to start a planted tank".

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz...maybe can add things like how to set the bubble rate of the CO2...can be kinda tricky for newbies.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Peter, what do you mean? How to get the right levels via KH-pH chart?

Feedback Score
    is there a DIY way to make the bubble rate ? wats the way to calculate the bubble rate ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz..I mean setting correct amount of CO2 without killing your fishes or shrimps in the process...Can be different methods...best is step by step instruction. LOL []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok, Peter, now you've really lost me.

Feedback Score
    hi guys , when i check the instructions on the co2 plastic bottle , it says to add a certain amt of the micro- sumthing to the container , depending on the size of the tank. for a 100L tank i add 3 teaspoon. 1 thing thats puzzling me , will that provide sufficent co2 for a cluster of plants? i mean , im gonna add like 7 types of plant .
    further more , how to i dispense the co2 out properly , i've been reading abt 1 bps , 2 bps . but my Co2 comes with an air tube and air stone <--- looks like an air stone to me .

oh ya

is glossostigma elantinoides a hardy plant or isit like riccia ? i was thinking of adding it as my foregrd plant
    then in the middle , i will have some echinodorus tenellus or Lilaeopsis.
    then in the backgrd , some hemiathus micranthemoidex and/or Micranthemum micranthemoides (Baby tears), star grass and Lysimachia nummularia.
    r all this plant suitable for it ? i have a 36w light now and am going to pump the co2 inside soon . please any comments will help me b4 i go out hunting for this plants

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Since you're using a commercial product go with the instructions. They are already 'calibrated' for your tank requirements. BPS is meaningless to you since you can't really control it anyway (you can increase it by adding more micro-something, but can't decrease it).

The airstone you got is probably an atomiser. Similar to an airstone but produces finer bubbles.

For most of your plants, ideally you should get about 3Watts/US Gallon. A 73 litre tank is roughly 19US Gallons, so you'll need about 57Watts of light. Your 36W plus your 15W will be sufficient, since your tank isn't very tall and your actual water volume is probably only 14 to 17 Gals anyway. To maximise photosynthesis, dose potassium(K). Search the forum for 'potassium'. There's been a number of post regarding that.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/3/2002 12:01:35 PM
    1 thing thats puzzling me , will that provide sufficent co2 for a cluster of plants? i mean , im gonna add like 7 types of plant .
    further more , how to i dispense the co2 out properly , i've been reading abt 1 bps , 2 bps . but my Co2 comes with an air tube and air stone <--- looks like an air stone to me .

is glossostigma elantinoides a hardy plant or isit like riccia ? i was thinking of adding it as my foregrd plant

----------------
    chia, hoefully this reply can help you:
    you won't have to worry about "dispensing the CO2" evenly, with the filter, the dissolved CO2 will get circulated in your tank. The bigger problem is how to dissolve as much of your CO2 as possible.
    As for the 1bps stuff, I'm afraid you can't control that. unless someone out there has done so with the use of a regulator? Anyone?

glosso, IME, is light-demanding, but as Vinz said, your W per gallon is ok. it is quite hardy - but you really need to be patient planting them into your substrate, tough job, let me tell you

care to tell us about your substrate?