Country
    Singapore

Newbie to CRS keeping

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    i am thinking of keeping crs, and before i purchase any stuff to setup the tank, i would like to ask some questions.
    Is it a must to run a chiller for the shrimp tank? What will be the ideal temperature for the shrimp to survive? Went through some of the threads and realised that most shrimp keepers are keeping their shrimp in tanks running with chiller. Just need to clear the doubts before i get started. And thanks in advance for all advices.
    Corydoras sterbai

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    A chiller is a must especially the hot weather like last week.
    CRS would not be able to survive.

Once you have found the way of keeping CRS alive, breeding them would not be an issue at all.

Good luck to you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for a start, what is the size of the tank which you want to use for crs keeping?

Because tank size will affect the kind of setup you will be using (eg. hang-on filter or canister or sponge filter, chiller or tem chiller or fan etc).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Currently still looking around for a suitable tank to use. Actually saw a tank today which i like very much. It's a 2ft x 8'' x 8'' tank. Is the dimension suitable?
    Corydoras sterbai

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you will need a chiller.. grow some moss. chiller will be good for the moss also.. most use some amount of ADA substrate.. I have seen many different tank size in use.. all good..

all the best..
    Jerry

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    pepe, i used to have a 1.5ft tank with simple filtration(sponge filter) with fan. Over time it became a hassle as i need to top up water every few days due to evaporation caused by fan blowing 24/7. Also the filtration was not sufficient to maintain good water parameters.

Since you are more or less decided on a 2ft tank, go with
    canister filtration: provide mech/bio filtration
    chiller: to provide cool water temperature. Especially in Singapore the weather's so hot and it affect CRS. The temperature is more commonly set at 25degrees.

In terms of flora, if you want to keep it simple, then moss will suffice.

Remember to post a thread and share with us your setup and update us on the progress

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all advices and pointers. Once i have time off work i will proceed to setup my shrimp tank.
    Corydoras sterbai