Country
    Singapore

Algae control plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi,

Anyone know of any plants that will help to control algae growth?think use with shrimp,it will be quite useful as in a planted tanks,most shrimps will be eaten up even by peace loving fish such as cardinal tetra,rummy noses....

I saw my tetra n rummy nose attacking my shrimp...

try to use horn worts now....anyone got any more plants in mind?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hygrophilla difformis/polisperma & Limnobium Laevigatum (Amazon frogbit) are also good in removing excessive nutrients.

If you do not intend to have these plants as part of your scape, floating plant is a better choice.
    Last edited by uklau; 26th May 2008 at 07:14.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hullo blackjack - In general, all floating plants will be very effective algae-controllers because their accessibility to sunlight makes them more efficient at photosynthesis, which in turn allow them to out-compete the algae in the use of nutrients in the water.

Using the same logic, fast-growing plants are effective in stabilizing a water system quickly too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

thanks for all the recommendation

I just got some hornworts from clementi. Can hornworts be kept alive by letting them float around?

Or do we need to plant them like any normal plants?Cause its quite hard to find the roots if any for hornworts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by 1001wishes View Post
    Hullo blackjack - In general, all floating plants will be very effective algae-controllers because their accessibility to sunlight makes them more efficient at photosynthesis, which in turn allow them to out-compete the algae in the use of nutrients in the water.
    Not to mention CO2 from the air instead of from water.

you can just leave the hornwowrts floating or tied it to something. Not sure if they have root.
    Last edited by Shadow; 27th May 2008 at 14:20.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack0512 View Post
    Hi,

thanks for all the recommendation

I just got some hornworts from clementi. Can hornworts be kept alive by letting them float around?

Or do we need to plant them like any normal plants?Cause its quite hard to find the roots if any for hornworts.
    If I'm not wrong, hornworts do not have roots. You can either plant them into the substrate, put a weight (stone, rock, wood) on them, or simply float them. Under high lighting, the needle-like leaves will give you a hue of red.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A rooted stem plant which works well as a nutrient sponge is Anacharis, Egeria densa.. its commonly sold in almost all LFS which sell plants, and grows extremely quickly, and under lower light conditions too

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The Egeria Densa has roots but hornwort doesn't. Though it is quite nice to anchor a bunch of them in a spot...like a mini-forest Provides a sense of security for the fishes in the sense that they can hide among the hornworts

Doing my pruning of hornworts and E.Densa soon. Any takers? FOC as usual

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi all,

My hornworts growing nice now.....my tank actuallu infested with hair algae.....hope my shrimps can get to eat them up now since they will feel more comfortable now......

Is it true that UV light will prevent alage???coz the money i spend on shrimp (1packet $10 X dun know how many packs) shall be able to get me a UV light.....so many shrimp yet all like disappear and hair algae still around!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    A UV filter can, not sure about UV lights in main tank, can't be good for the fish right?. Confused as to what you meant there...

Certainly i've seen UV filters, where water is pumped through a UV light tube and then pumped back into the tank, also removes diseases ect.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Egeria Densa is a good plant, it grows like wild-fire and uses up nurtrients like crazy. I had to remove some in my tank because it took over and was basically stealing the other plants nutrients, so growth in my other plants virtually came to a stand still and this thing just kept growing and growing.

So from personal experience, its brilliant untill you let it take over.
    Last edited by Verminator; 28th May 2008 at 07:57. Reason: Attrotious spelling =P
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...