Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Driftwood / Bogwood.

Feedback Score

Driftwood / Bogwood.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm preparing to rescape my tank as I mentioned some time back... and I've actually bought a rather large piece of bogwood? It's like a stump, about 15cm in diameter, and about 1 ft long/tall.

I have been soaking it for a week now but it is still floating whenever I dislodge it from under the water... how now???

Also, do you experts actually treat the wood in any way other than scrubbing and soaking it in water? Hot water? Salt? Chemicals? etc etc...?[]
    -----------------------------
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i heard boiling it helps.. or soak longer....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you can find a big enough pot and the home minister allows it, you can boil it. If not pour boiled water into a pail and soak it. Repeat daily for a few days.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

I think the trick is to find ways of getting rid of air in the wood? I suggest using boiling water to hopefully expand and expel some air out? but the catch is after boiling water treatment the wood should not be exposed to air again else it'll just take back in the air? donno, just hypothsizing here. personally all the driftwood I"ve used never had that problem of floating at all. you could also try weighing it down with rocks in the tank first till they stay down then remove the rocks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When you soak it in boiling water, the air inside expands and is pushed out. When the water cools by the next day, the contracting air-pockets inside will suck water in to replace the escaped air.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 12/3/2002 2:13:57 PM

When you soak it in boiling water, the air inside expands and is pushed out. When the water cools by the next day, the contracting air-pockets inside will suck water in to replace the escaped air.
    ----------------

ok... so that's it? no chemical treatment is necessary?
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Chemicals not a good idea as the wood will absorb it and may release it into the tank over time.

Most bugs, bacteria, whatever should be killed by the repeated soaking with just boiled water.

A good scrubbing should get rid of most fungus, algae, eggs, spores, dirt etc from the surface.

Feedback Score
    ok... i've scrubbed it really hard already... but soaking with hot water hasn't worked as yet. its still floating...
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Alternatively you could just weight it down in your tank... given enough time it'll get water logged and stay sunk... If you boil it, take it out from the hot water and dump it in a pail of cold water. That might help as well...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/3/2002 9:58:25 PM

ok... i've scrubbed it really hard already... but soaking with hot water hasn't worked as yet. its still floating...
    ----------------
    Errrmm... how long did you soak it?

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    Errrmm... how long did you soak it?
    ----------------
    So far its been 9 hrs in a covered styrofoam box. I can't boil it cos there isn't a pot big enough. This might help you understand why...

Will try dumping it in a pail of cold water tomorrow.
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    Oh yah... just saw the "daily over several days" part [] ... so will continue to do it over the next few days...

I can't weigh it down with rocks as rocks would not be strong [] enough.

Hey vinz since you're reading this thread anyway, another question: if I rescape and wash my substrate in the process, would I need to let the tank go through the nitrogen cycle again? That is if I don't change filter media and stuff like that... I was also planning on using at least half of the existing water.

I'm just worried about where the fish can be kept during the 4 week cycling period... sigh.
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eprouve,

LOL... I read all threads in Planted Tanks at least once.

Just make sure you keep the filter running while you're rescaping. If you intend to remove it from the tank during rescape. Keep it running on a pail of old tank water. Don't use tap water... the cholrine in a full pail of tap water can kill a significant portion of the colony.

my story eprouve:

remove tank water into big basin, put airstone into basin. connect filter to that basin, put all fishes and shrimps there. empty tank of water and substrate, wash substrate, put fert, etc etc... fill with water. next day change water completely. next day connect filter back to main tank, put a few fishes from basin to tank. next day see if fishes are ok, if ok put more fishes in, (maybe 1/3 at a time). till all are put back. note: do not clean your filter at all!!! so far only 1 fish ko out for 40-50 fishes!

Feedback Score
    Ok... excellent advise! Its a relief to hear.

I won't wash my filter media... but how about adding new media? Like now, I only have wool, the blue coarse media (dunno what its called) and ceramic rings. I thought of adding sintered glass. What say you guys?

oh and back to the driftwood thingie... [] I was at borders and was reading this aquarium setup book... it said something about using plastic screws to secure it to a sheet of acrylic and burying the acrylic under the fert and gravel. Which means part of the driftwood will be under the gravel and fert. I think I'll do this even if it doesn't float anymore after the few days of hotwater treatment. I've set Friday aside to do the major rescaping. []
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    eprouve,

Adding sintered glass is a good idea.

Don't bother with the plastic screws and acrylic. If you try that, I foresee problems when you want to remove the wood for whatever reasons. When you lift the wood, the acrylic is going to upset a lot of gravel and bring up a lot of dirt from the gravel.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yah I agree with Vinz... its quite common to need to lift or tilt your wood a bit to get to some hard to reach areas. Screwing it down is either gonna make your cleanup or minor rescaping more messy, or difficult.

Perhaps one short term solution is to buy some lead strips.... some lfs carry this, and is used to tie the bottom of the potted plants? If you can get a bit, tie to your wood to weigh it down in your tank... once it gets water logged you can remove it.
    Allen