Images
    Country
    Singapore

Newbie needs help on dirty plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hey senior fishians....i'm not too sure whether are those fine particles on all my plants are leftover food residues or some sort of plant disease?? Looks very unsightly! Anyway, i feed my fishes at times with algae wafers or flakes or pellets. Is it due to the food? or overfeeding? Hellllpppp....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry I could see that clearly but it look like some growth. Especially the photo on the right. I may be wrong though. When you do your WC, are you able to 'vacuum' it off?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually i did some re-landscaping of my tank last 2 days and thus did WC. the funny thing now is the wool of my hanging filter media looks unsightly; brownish!! Is it due to the algae flakes or overfeeding or due to the relandscaping? I only started to introduce my fishes with algae flakes yesterday.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    When you rescape you'll often find you stir up alot of debree, even in a new set-up you'll be amazed how much "muck" there can be. From my experiences and judging by your image on the right its just "muck" on the leaves. With an adequate filter, a few active fish and enough current your leaves will be clean.

Alternatively get a spoon, stick, laddel or whatever you want and stir your water slowly, my guess is it will just float off - atleast mine does, and thus the filter should clear it within a day or so. Leave it in the filter media though, it will provide a good place for bacteria to grow in your filter, thus maturing it and making it more effective.

If it appears to get worse over the next few days then you have a form of growth, if this is the case then i suggest water changes, perhaps once every 2-3 days do 10-20%. Your tank is in its maturation period is it not? This is the same tank you were on about in another thread yes? If so then you don't want to be too overly drastic....or paranoid

Have faith Your in good company.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hey 'verminator', should i just clean my filter media first, since its looks brownish and yucky, then do the stirring method and scoop the dirt into the filter media?

Anyway, this is the same tank that we have discussed previously - i did relandscaped my tank Will post my pictures soon after i've clean up the 'muck'. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Its up to you. If i were to post a picture of my filter media you'd see its black, gunky and rather smelly...but it does its job and it house good bacteria to combat nitrite, nitrate and ammonia levels. As i said the gunk is all part of the process, without it your tank wouldnt be able to keep life alive. So personally i'd leave it.

If you feel that it is restricting the flow from your filter then by all means perhaps rinse it in a bucket of tank water, not tap water. But don't over rinse it, its important you leave as much bacteria in the filter media as possible, as this is what you are building up in your maturation period!
    Verminator

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok...here is what i've done so far - rinsed my filter media with my tank water, not too much though. Then, i tried to scrape off those hairy algae on my plants and scoop it out of my tank. Thus, did some water changes...iets say about 20%. I'll monitor the progress and will let you know again. Thanks Verm!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    put in some yamato will help. Used to have the same problem. Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for the tip 'sign'. anyways, i've 2 cherry shrimps and 3 malayan shrimps and 1 oto at the moment

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    my experience, they are not as hardworking as yamato, worth trying... if doesn't help can sell it to me.... cheap

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'll be going down to NA later - do some window shopping. Maybe will get some yamato or SAE.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Good luck
    Can check which brand of algae wafers & pellets you use?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bought 5 yamatos and 3 SAE from NA, to battle my algae problem. Hope these fellas will help. Also bought a bottle of seachem fluorish excel. Will give you an update on the progress!

Anyway, the brand of my algae wafers - 'Tropical' green algae wafers

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yipee!! The hair algae seemed to be gone - all thanks to my hardworking SAE and yamatos. Anyway, really appreciate for all the advises given from all the fishians in AQ! Thanks guys

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Your more than welcome
    Verminator