Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hello all

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I started to invest in a planted tank and also recently a mini outdoor planted pond after I moved to my new condo early this year. I have got some professional help to setup the planted tank and recently setup the outdoor pond.

I would want to understand more about aquatic plants and tropical fishes. The planted tank now house dozens of tetras, glass cat fish, cory catfishes, yamato shrimps, algae eaters and also a number of discus fish.

For the outdoor pond, I have a variety of goldfishes like lionheads, ranchus,etc.

I have uploaded some pics of the planted tank and pond and also some of my discus. According to the company that setup my tank, I was told to top up the water level when it is low in the overflow filter tank. There is no need to have major water changes for at least the next 1.5 to 2 years. The tank has been running since November last year and the discus were added to the tank about 3 weeks ago. The current water temp is between 29-31 degrees Celsius and the PH is between 6.8 to 7.1

I have seen some spot algae growth near the top front of the tank closer to the light source. What are the cause of such algae and how to get rid of them?

Any feedback or comments will be great.

Thanks and Regards

Erik
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Erik,

Welcome to the forum, nice to have you here. I'm not sure whether you are refering to the green spot algae, can't see any picture of the algae.
    May be this website might help you to ID the type of algae.

Sorry website got error.

Enjoy reading

Green spot algae.
    DescriptionForms hard green circular spots on the glass and slow growing plant leaves.CauseWith Estimative Index low phosphate levels often bring on a GSA outbreak. Low CO2. Also too long a lighting period doesn't help.RemovalIf dosing Estimative Index increase phosphate levels by adding monobasic potassium phosphate or fleet enema solution. Aim for a level of 2 to 3ppm. Check CO2 levels. Can be scraped off the glass using a razor blade or a good magnetic glass scraper. Between 9 and 10 hours is plenty of lighting time for the plants. If it is more then reducing it may help.
    If dosing a lean dosing method like PMDD or PPS-Pro then modifying the NO3 to PO4 ratio normally helps. A bit of trial and error may be required.
    Last edited by celticfish; 3rd Jun 2008 at 19:28. Reason: merge post
    Cpark188

http://cpark188.blogspot.com
    My hobbies.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi
    Yes it is a Green Spot Algae after checking the webside. Are there any quick fix to this and how will it affect my fish in the planted tank?

Thanks and Regards

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice fish 1 bakuteh! (the non-red/orange discus)

Did you turn the whole balcony into a pond?!?
    Nice job if you did.
    I hardly hang out in my balcony too!

The lighting in your tank is quite strong.
    Which makes me suspect you are using MH lights.
    High intense lights areas usually get GSA.
    One "trick" you can do is line the top of your front glass face with a 2" opaque acrylic piece.
    This helps block the light on the glass and therefore prevent GSA forming there.

Oh, Welcome to AQ!
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Cpark188 you can see GSA on one of his pics Discuss pic, top left corner. You can just make out the green specs of GSA.

Reduced light intensity, and reduced light duration can help prevent it. As far as GSA goes though its virtually impossible to get rid of it 100% it always comes back. It does no harm, and i find on rocks and wood it can look quite good, just scrape it off the glass once or twice a week.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You really got a very sharp pair of eye, Verminator. I saw the picture of the Discus but not the green spot algae, you are well spotted on such issue. Thanks.
    Cpark188

http://cpark188.blogspot.com
    My hobbies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Attention to detail that is all. I have the benefit of youth too, haha.
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Celticfish,

Thank you for your advice. Yes, I converted the planter box into a long pond. It goes well because the planter box is sunk in and the tank can lay flush with my floor. When I bought this place, I already have this in mind to build this pond.

Regards

1bakuteh

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello Cpark188 & Verminator,

Yes, you are sharp. The discus fish photo actually has the GSA stains in the upper right hand corner. I guess I will just scrap it off and then monitor the situation.

Regards

1bakuteh