1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Algae ID ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Its been finally 2 weeks after my last algae infection. Did a blackout, vac the soil, replanted the HG and been dosing as per suggested by many experts here.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=40780

At that time, i didnt have a proper pic of the algae plaguing the tank, was id as possibily green dust or bga or some other green algae.

The good news so far is no algae of any sort on the soil, however had some growing on the mosses, did a trim on those infected and uploaded their pics. Pics should be much clearer this time round.

So confirmed green dust algae or bga? And why dispite proper nitrate dosing, 0 NH4, optimum co2 levels, im still getting them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    looks like blue-green algae to me...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    too much bright light will do that to your plants and tank, don't leave the light on for too long or to close to the tank, i sue too have that problem too, untill i move the light up about 3inches then where i normally have it, and have the light on for only 9 hours and the rest of the time no lights, hope that works for you, and it is blue and green algae.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It does looks like BGA.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fishkipper View Post
    too much bright light will do that to your plants and tank, don't leave the light on for too long or to close to the tank, i sue too have that problem too, untill i move the light up about 3inches then where i normally have it, and have the light on for only 9 hours and the rest of the time no lights, hope that works for you, and it is blue and green algae.
    i only have 12w, lights on 8hrs aday, so i dont think that is a problem.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like BGA.

Circulation could be an issue. I don't know how your tank looks but mosses can get thick and circulation comes to a halt in those clumps. With poor circulation nutrient deficiencies can occur and BBA, BGA and other funny stuff pops out.

Or probably the BGA was hiding there already, they're pretty sneaky.

If you can confirm it as BGA, you can try another short blackout after your plants have recovered from the previous one to ensure that they are gone. Currently I guess everything has to be by hand.

Algae is always a pain in the back.
    Studying the water chemistry and nutrients is a science.
    Knowing what plants to get and how to use them is an art.
    Aquascaping is a marriage of art and science, the logical and emotional.

-Calvin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks again rock, havent seen you for awhile.

Ya, ive managed to get some help from the planted tank forums. Ive located the source of the BGA, its in the moss from the beginning, guess having a wall of moss is a bad idea. I had my whole kitchen "stinking" like a rotten egg when i bleach them yesterday.

I have done a blackout about 2 weeks back but did a major mistake by not covering the OHF, thus resulting in BGA formation in the biohomes, pipes and filters.

From many suggestions, it seems i have to redo my cleaning process/large water change/kno3 dosing then proceed with a black out with a cleaning process/large water change and kno3 dosing again after the 4th day. Sigh, its going to be a pain ! l

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    This is how my tank looks, filter's flow rate is 250l/h.