Thread: Tiny fish suitable for 9"x6"7 tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    You can check biotope, they were going for $1.50 each?

cheers,

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi torque6,

Thanks for the tips, if they are in bad condition at LFS, would be rather challenging to tell the difference between male and female as I would suspect they would all look pale?

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Most fish look pale when either stressed or none acclimatised. If this is the case you have two options.

1) check on them weekly within the shop
    2) go elsewhere that day and get them
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Philippines
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Hi lowell,

The clown killi looks very rare, must be fetching a high price? Available in LFS?
    Tony,

You see I live here in the Philippines and it's quite very seldom that someone will import such kind of fish here (we're very lucky because that someone is a friend of mine and anything you wish to import here as long as it is available anywher in the world,he'll bring it in).here,it costs me around 4 - 5 sing$ each.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lowell,
    It sure is a luxury to know a friend that can bring sure nice fish at such good pricing

Verminator,
    I agree. Will take a look at the condition on the fishes in C328 today... hopefully they are still there to start with

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Magic4lifez,

Thanks for the direction. Torque6 has already mentioned biotope earlier; but I'll try C328 today since it is more convenient

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Tony,

the tank is quite hard to determine if male or female because its so small and its rather dim. The main feature is that boraras B, female have slightly less black outlines on their transparent fins, while males have red fins with black outline. I have tried to use their flanks to determine but yes, they all look pale at LFS, so noting this description would be quite useless. However biotope is the only one with a nicely lit tank with very healthy numbers.

I am sure Thio would be delighted to net some females boraras for you

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Torque6,

I've been to C328 and they have run out of the boraras . However, I've got some galaxy instead (also rather pale looking) and they are real small. Here's a quick look at my tank setup. Do comment or share ideas on how to improve further.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tony; 10th Aug 2008 at 20:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i recalled your tank size is less than 9L and you already have 6 galaxies ? I didnt buy them at that time in polyart as i was looking for really small fishes, the boraras B i bought were less than 1cm long so it will fit nicely and i only got 4 of them. Galaxies i think is abit bigger, around 2-2.5...

You might have a problem later on.

Feedback Score
    Country
    England
    Top left fish in second pic looks like a Danio too
    Verminator

Aquatic fanatic and keen learner of aquascaping

The canvas is what you make it...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Torque6,

At the moment they are 1cm long, will have to upgrade the tank if they grow bigger... not sure how many will survive the next 2 - 3 weeks.

From the pics you can see they are all quite skinny and pale... the LFS has about 25 galaxy, 10 - 15 pleco all in a small betta tank... hope they can adapt in my tank soon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Torque6,

I've been to C328 and they have run out of the boraras . However, I've got some galaxy instead (also rather pale looking) and they are real small. Here's a quick look at my tank setup. Do comment or share ideas on how to improve further.

Thanks!
    I find galaxy always hiding in the plants or driftwood.
    Chee Yong

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So far mine are swimming to the front of the tank as seen in the pics, except they scam for life on the slightest vibration on the table or fast sharp movement will scare them to hiding, else sitting infront watching them, they will still be out swimming.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they can adapt fast and the color will come to live soon after they accustomed to my tank...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tcy81 View Post
    I find galaxy always hiding in the plants or driftwood.
    once they settle in they will be active, mine was always hiding at the back of the plants for the first week, now they are darting all over looking for scraps.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,

A quick update on my tiny tank of approx 1.4g. It's into the 2nd week and all galaxy are doing fine. They are fed tetra baby mini and has so far grown darker in colour and more rounded body. The fishes enjoys making short sharp movement/darting and can having fun randomly chasing of each other.

I got this tank from a bro in the forum with used ADA soil and Biohome so cycling the tank is not an issue. I've kept to weekly 30% water change and alternate day water top-up routine. (the dymax mini fan tend to evaporate my water fast). The moss are doing very well.

However, the galaxy's colour is still not intense (those pics that are found on internet showing blood red and platinum body seem a far fetch for my case... ). Mine only shows orange stripes. Any idea if they will get intense over time?

Any bros that have sucess in keeping such small tank? Can share with me your experience and fauna combination?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi All,

I've bought a low tech 9"x6"7" nano tank with 9W light, hang-on filter and soil. And is looking for very tiny and colourful fishes to fit such environment. Could anyone suggest suitable type and quantity?

Galaxy? Boraras brigittae? And some sakura shrimps?
    Why don't you try wild bettas? Some type really suitable for nano tanks and they are very attractive...
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi lowell,

The clown killi looks very rare, must be fetching a high price? Available in LFS?

Yes ... I saw Polyart carrying them. I think its 1.00 a piece as far as i can remember. That look kind of fragile though. Not an expert with Clown killies

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi exotic,
    Thanks for the suggestion, bettas are kind of solitude so will not be able to fit 2 in a 9"x6"x7" inch I guess.

Enoran,
    I read that these clown killies are very fragile, not for newbies... also they are fed live food so it will be challenging for me I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12