Images
    Country
    Malaysia

In search of new species of Cryptocoryne in Sarawak

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Cryptocoryne zaidiana is a new species of Cryptocoryne (aquatic aroid) only found in some secret locations in northern Sarawak. In order to find it, we (Jungle Mike, Joshua & Herman) spent a lot of time & money to get infomation, travelling in the worst muddy road we ever seen, took a boat to find the Crypt. in the river infested with crocodile. It was one of the most exciting trips I ever had in my life.

To find out more about this plant, u can visit this site; the link:

http://www.nationaalherbarium.nl/cry...y/zai/zai.html

Some photos to share before telling our adventure story.

Joshua was trying to dig the mud out when our 4 wheel drive vehicle was stuck in the muddy road for almost an hour!

A tributary of Baram river where Crypt. zaidiana was discovered by a researcher from Sarawak, Dr Isa:

crypt. hunting in a river infested with crocodile. None of us were wearing life jacket.

....to be continued.
    Wanna see Borneo? Just click...http://junglemikey.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    In a river infested with CROCODILES?!!

Your courage is unbelievable

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wow, the last photo of the boat in the river reminds me of national geographic shows.
    very exciting i guess
    Chee Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks....I was risking my life there.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    June 2, 2008. It was the 2nd day of Hari Gawai (Harvesting festival). As our trip to Danau Sentarum of Indonesian Borneo has been cancelled, we decided to go north to northern Sarawak to find Crypt. zaidiana.

It was a rainy day when we started our journey. I had a bad feeling about this trip. We travelled about 800km by using my car to a town called Bintulu & took a rest there.

The next day, we rented a 4x4 car to a remote area near Miri. The gravel road is very bad. Later, we found out the info that we gathered are not accurate. We had to solve the "puzzle" along the trip. We were lost a few times in the oil palm plantation. Luckily, we met some locals & they pointed the right direction to a Kayan people longhouse.

About 11am, we found out the road to the longhouse was pretty bad. Due to the heavy rainfall almost every evening, the dirt road became a muddy road. When we almost reached the longhouse, our car was stuck in the mud! No matter how hard we tried, we couldn't get our car out of the mud. Our shirts & trousers were all covered by mud. We went to look for help but almost everyone went out to celebrate Gawai in another village. The elder people couldn't help us. Luckily, we found out there is a teacher who got a pick up truck was still in the village. That's the only vehicle in the village during that time. He helped us to pull up the vehicle at last.

Then, we went to look for boatman who can bring us to the location of Crypt. zaidiana. It took us sometimes to find that boatman who can bring us to the place that we wanted to go. At that time, the rain cloud was developing in the west. We didn't have much time left....cos we'll stuck there for a night if it rains. About noon, the boatman took us to the up river.

The boatman told us the water level in the river has been raising up to very high level. The small river that we're going to visit is the fishing place for the locals. When we reached there, we couldn't find a single Cryptocoryne as water level was too high. I was sweating in the boat cos this was my first time aboard a long boat without wearing a life jacket. Besides, there are crocodiles in the river!

In order not to waste our money which we paid, we asked the boatman to go further up the river. It was very difficult to travel up river as there are too many fallen trees. The oil palm plantation company is starting to clear the forest near the river. Sooner or later, almost the whole Borneo will be covered by this oil palm trees.

At 5pm, we still couldn't find anything. We came at the wrong time. June is supposed to be the best time to explore in the river & to find aquatic plant as it's used to be dry season. But climate is changing now & it rains almost every evening. We went back to the village with disappoinment. Thunder storm hit that area that evening when we're on the way out. I felt so sad.....what happened to this world? More & more forests are gone...then the climate is getting strange.

We shall be back to visit Crypt zaidiana oneday.

Our car was stuck in the mud!!!!

Hard work.....

Rain cloud is forming!!! It's going to rain very soon....and we need to leave before it rains.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Travel up river:

Travel in smaller tributary which is the location of that new species of Crypt.

Fallen trees at the edge of oil palm plantation:

High water level.....can't see any crypt in the river bed!

Too many obstacle in the river....what will happened if out boat capsized? If so, I'll say goodbye to my beloved camera.

WE SHALL BE BACK!!!!!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Michael,

If I ever have a chance to visit your beautiful land of Borneo, you must give me some tips on the various locations to find the various species of native cryptocorynes ok? It is every collector's dream to be able to hunt, find and collect the cryptocoryne ourselves (its not about the $$ really, its about the experience, understanding and recording of the conditions of the natural habitats).

Wish you luck in your next attempt and do post more photographs and write up on cryptocorynes and their habitats!!!!!

Regards,
    T S Wang
    Last edited by illumbomb; 9th Jun 2008 at 23:19. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Mike, i'm impressed with your passion for this hobby. Thanks for sharing your adventure journey and photos. Look forward to your next successful trip!

- Joe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks guys....but I don't like to tell anyone about the locations except my closer friends. Crypt. is still a rare plant in my homeland.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Actually if its infested with crocodiles..i would rather not wear any life jacket. But awesome adventure..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe holding a life jacket as a protection device...croc attack throw it the life jacket!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Michael, how I wish I'm there with you... ... anyway, I wouldn't mind feeding myself to the Crocrodiles... ... Keep going with all the exciting actions... Cheers!

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Merviso View Post
    Hi Michael, how I wish I'm there with you... ... anyway, I wouldn't mind feeding myself to the Crocrodiles... ... Keep going with all the exciting actions... Cheers!

really? you'll die in very ugly way if u r eaten by croc. Just kidding.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ... no worries... not much people will see it anyway... and it's times we contribute something back to mother nature...

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....