Thread: Zebra Pleco

Feedback Score

Zebra Pleco

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi
    Anyone here has a zebra pleco? Would like to know what you feed it...

Thanks...

Nizz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi nizz! , I feed my L46 - Zebra Pleco or Imperial Pleco with blood worms. Beside Zebra what other species of Pleco do you have ? cheers !

Akoh
    Safe Diving ! []
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Hi there

Dat's the only pleco i have. They r quite expensive (the more interesting ones). Saw the yellow-spotted (can't remember exact name)one when i got my zebra...maybe will consider dat as well. How many zebras & other plecos do u have? Have u tried brine shrimp b4? Does he/she come out to feed during the 'daylight' when u feed it?

Nizz

----------------
    On 1/17/2002 9:14:34 AM

Hi nizz! , I feed my L46 - Zebra Pleco or Imperial Pleco with blood worms. Beside Zebra what other species of Pleco do you have ? cheers !

Akoh
    Safe Diving ! []
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi nizz !, The yellow spotted one that you saw is called Gold Nugget,the L number are L18, L85, L81 and L177. There are total 4 different type of Gold Nugget found in 3 different rivers. Check up www.planetcatfish.com for more information on this species particularly December 2000 Catfish of the Month, Have Fun !.

I have about 75 species of Suckermouth catfish, total number is about 150pcs, Zebra takes up 10 pcs. They do comes out in the day but notice they're more active at night. I mainly feed them with fresh vege, algae wafers, bio-fish foods and minimum blood worms, BS is only once a while. Glad that you appreciate this " armour fish " , cheers [] [] []

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Holy s**t!
    Dat's a lot of cats u've got (not to mention species)! U bred any of them? Esp the zebra? U mentioned fresh vege...u referring to mashed green peas or the likes? Mind sharing this info? I'm just worried i'm not feeding mr. zebbie (dat's his name) enuf of the rite stuff.

Thx.

Nizz

Feedback Score
    hi,
    I've a tank specifically for my 5 zebra pleco only.
    I do plan to breed them just dun know if it comes true. Wait and see. So far I feed them with blood worm but want to try some freeze dried food soon.

Feedback Score
    Hi Sadie

1) How much did u pay for them (the plecos)?
    2) Wat's ur feed freq for bloodworms?
    3) Mine doesn't seem to eat the freeze-dried worms i fed it.

Thx for the reply.

Nizz

----------------
    On 1/17/2002 12:19:06 PM

hi,
    I've a tank specifically for my 5 zebra pleco only.
    I do plan to breed them just dun know if it comes true. Wait and see. So far I feed them with blood worm but want to try some freeze dried food soon.
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The prize of a zebra pleco range from $45 - $90, depending on the size and season.

I have 2 zebra plecos for the about 1+ years, never got a chance to see them feeding. But I know they are eating well as they are still in my tank .

Recently I increase to 5 of them, now, 1 or 2 of them would come out to eat when I am feeding the rest of the fish.

I feed them with frozen bloodworms and algae wafers.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nizz ! , So far no luck in breeding any ! but I do understand that one Taiwan FF have been successful in breeding zebra in capitivity, temp. is about 25 to 26 degree C.
    Fresh vege. would be cucumber ( local or japanese ), lettuce, potatoes and like you've mentioned mashed green pea. Unlike the rest of the plecos, I've never see any of the zebra nibble on these fresh vege. but they do on Hikari Algae wafers. Hope this help ! cheers ! []

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Hi Jacian & Akoh (or is it just Koh?)

I came across another site belonging to this New Zealander or something. She did manage to breed the zebras, but i can't remember the site url. Will post it here if i get it again.

& i've also tried hikari algae wafers. 1 piece before the lights off, & in the morning only small bits & pieces left, but dunno if it was zebbie or not. Looking forward to feeding him some frozen bloodworms & peas. He's very charming...

Akoh: Wat do u do wif the cucumber? blend it? chop it to pieces?
    Jacian: Got mine at $45 in tampines...so can only afford to buy 1. Will buy a couple more next time...

Ciao...Nizz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nizz, I usually cut the cucumber lenghtwise in 2 pcs and remove all the seeds coz' if not very messy lah ! , attach a fishing line to a weight and attach the cucumber to it. Next you just drop the whole thing to the bottom of the tank.
    Like I mentioned earlier I have yet see my zebra nibbling on any fresh vege. Anyway if you want to give it a try, you may want to cut the cucumber across and do what I do next ! Check it out ! Cheers ! []

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Finally some expert:

I do have a pleco/ catfish in my planted tank that was given to me by friend.

Not sure about the name but it is dwarf type and look like albino pleco.

Concern on what food to feed it as it stay under the driftwood 100%. No feeding for 2 weeks and still alive. But it did concern me. Need your expert advice on food to feed.

Rgds

Feedback Score
    The site which i mentioned above on a NZ couple who bred the zebra pleco (albeit accidentally)...

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~zebra/zebra_pleco.htm

Ciao...Nizz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Small Fish ! don't worry too much about it staying 100% under the drfitwood during the day , they usually becomes very active when the light is off and they'll pick up bits and pieces of food left over at the bottom , as for food Hikari Algae Wafer should do just fine for most pleco , do feed them with cucumber ! they luv it !, Have Fun! Cheers ! []

Akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Safe Diving !

Feedback Score
    hi nizz,
    I normally turn off my canister filter when I feed them (frozen blood worm, once a day) due to strong current. I leave them alone for few hrs before I turn it on again. Freeze dried bw oftenly float and hard to sink, dun really fancy it.

Feedback Score
    Hi Sadie
    Thx for the tip. Me go buy frozen bw later today! & possibly try cucumber as well.

Nizz

----------------
    On 1/18/2002 10:21:56 AM

hi nizz,
    I normally turn off my canister filter when I feed them (frozen blood worm, once a day) due to strong current. I leave them alone for few hrs before I turn it on again. Freeze dried bw oftenly float and hard to sink, dun really fancy it.
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/18/2002 10:21:56 AM

hi nizz,
    ----------------
    Sadie,

You should get the frozen blood worms instead. It is said to be more nutricious and less prone to disease. Defrost the worms first and throw it in. Most of them will sink.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]