Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question on use of Wonder Gro Roots+

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, had bought a bottle of the above from Ben of Mizu & am intending to start using it in my crypt set-up [Yes!! Finally saw some new shoots of the crypts growing after the long wait & painful crypt melt... ]

However, unlike Seachem's Flourish where dosing is based on capacity of the tank, would like to ask bro in here who also uses Roots + on how (in terms of quantity & frequency) they use the tablets to provide substrate fert in their tank set-up... Below are my tank set-up details:

1) Size of tank: 1 feet base with 16 inches height
    2) Flora: 6 different types of crypts which not too sure how many can make it (C. Parva, C. undulata 'Red',C. wendtii 'Mi Oya', C. 'petchii', C. retrospiralis, C. x willisii), Diplis Diandra, Java Moss, Riccia, a small lump of survicing HC, Dwarf & Normal Hairgrass, Windelov Fern, Salvina Molesta & some unknown plants that I'd yet to ID
    3) Fauna: 5 Zebra Danios (down to 3 survivors), 5 Cherry Barbs, 1 Ramshorn Snail & 2 Common Snails.
    4) CO2: DIY (don't know how many Bps as never use bubble counter) connected to mini Dymax Glass CO2 diffuser
    5) Dosing regime: Alternate day Flourish Excel, every week Flourish & Prime
    6) Filter: Hang-on 7-Star SF 601
    7) Substrate: GEX (red package) with bamboo charcoal chips (those from Daiso)

So based on the above info, how many tablets of Roots + should I insert into my substrate? & which part of the substrate (If from top view & I divide the 1-feet base into 9 smaller squares like a tic-tac-toe grid)? How do I know that the tablet had been fully used up by the plants? Roughly how long can the tablet last before I insert the next tablet?

All responses/ suggestions to my above queries will be greatly appreciated... Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi beetlejuice,
    i think generally for using root supplements, it would be mainly to enhance the growth of rooting plants. In your case, that would be your crypts, diplis diandra, HC and HG.

Heh, frankly speaking.. i would not be as hardworking as you to divide the 1-feet base into 9 smaller squares like a tic-tac-toe grid. It would be more of a case to see where your plants are positioned then insert the root tabs in the Gex soil close to the roots. This can be around 1-2 cm into the substrate.. i guess it's alright if you can't see anymore once you have inserted them in. No hard and fast rule over here, as it really depends on individual tanks and preferences. The key would be to satisfy those hungry roots.

1)How do I know that the tablet had been fully used up by the plants?
    2) Roughly how long can the tablet last before I insert the next tablet?

Generally, most root tabs can last for around a year (again depending on the fert regime, light regime and the plant itself) - if you notice that after some time, your plant (rooted/stem) becomes less 'fat and juicy' than previously, or growth is not as nice as compared to when you have inserted the root tabs, then perhaps it's time to retab again. (bearing in mind other factors as well)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Salphur View Post
    Hi beetlejuice,
    i think generally for using root supplements, it would be mainly to enhance the growth of rooting plants. In your case, that would be your crypts, diplis diandra, HC and HG.

Heh, frankly speaking.. i would not be as hardworking as you to divide the 1-feet base into 9 smaller squares like a tic-tac-toe grid. It would be more of a case to see where your plants are positioned then insert the root tabs in the Gex soil close to the roots. This can be around 1-2 cm into the substrate.. i guess it's alright if you can't see anymore once you have inserted them in. No hard and fast rule over here, as it really depends on individual tanks and preferences. The key would be to satisfy those hungry roots.

1)How do I know that the tablet had been fully used up by the plants?
    2) Roughly how long can the tablet last before I insert the next tablet?

Generally, most root tabs can last for around a year (again depending on the fert regime, light regime and the plant itself) - if you notice that after some time, your plant (rooted/stem) becomes less 'fat and juicy' than previously, or growth is not as nice as compared to when you have inserted the root tabs, then perhaps it's time to retab again. (bearing in mind other factors as well)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
    Hey thanks bro Salphur for your advise. For me, am concern that should I over dose the number of tablets in my tank, it'll lead to another set of problem with algae...

Hmm... if strictly based on statistic calculations & what I comprehend from Mizu's instructions, each tab can generally affect a size of 2-3 square inches [So in my case of 144 square inches (12 by 12 inches), does it mean that I need to insert 144 / 3 = 46 tablets @ one go? Will wake up to an Amazon Forest the next day in my tank... Ha! Ha!

Anyway, think the best method as mentioned by Salphur would be a hands-on method. [You never know what lies ahead (beneath) until you'd ventured out (down)...] So, most probably will start today with first inserting 2-3 tablets of Roots + into my tank's substrate & observe the growth rate over the next few days/ weeks... Wish me luck!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You only need to insert them into the area where your plants are. Placing them under your stones will not make them any bigger.

Generally, each tablet should last you quite a while. You know when it's time to start reinserting the tablets when new growth is slower and when the colors of the leaves are paler.
    Mizu World - Understanding your Aquatic Needs
    Web: http://www.mizuworld.com Email: [email protected] Contact: +6597857957 (Ben)

Distributor of

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hehe, all the best with those root tabs! Trust and go ahead with your instinct. Your plants will be the best answer for you.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LOL!! Am really amazed with the tablets... Decided to insert 2 of the tablets into my tank & over the next few days, already seeing more new shoots of my previously melted crypts growing out of the substrate.... Will try & take some shots if got time...

Hopefully the growth of the plants will be even better in the days/weeks/months to come...