Images
    Country
    Singapore

Best algae clearing shrimp?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I heard that certain shrimps like Malayans are better at removing algae compared to the Amano aka Yamato shrimps. Anyone can ascertain the fact?

Also what shrimps are good at removing black brush algae? ?
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Taiwan
    No shrimp remove black brush algae. Manual removal and increasing CO2 level and more stable CO2 levels is the only long turn solution.
    */Tank Specs*/
    50Gallon (90 X 45 X 45) Tetra Ex120, CO2 @1~2 bps, 4X30 watt @8 hrs
    29 Gallon (61X40X45cm) DIY ADA stand, Eheim 2215, Fishline 48w T5 light @8hrs
    17 Gallon Mr.Aqua (60X30X36cm) DIY ADA stand, Fishline T5 lights 48watts @7 hrs
    Tank in Progress (120X60X55cm) DIY sliding door stand, Reef style tank w/ SUMP+Eheim pump, T5- 6X54w

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zyblack View Post
    I heard that certain shrimps like Malayans are better at removing algae compared to the Amano aka Yamato shrimps. Anyone can ascertain the fact?

Also what shrimps are good at removing black brush algae? ?
    Saw my big size yamato trying hard to scrap black bush algae off the leaves of my slow growing plant, but in the end, can't see much of a difference, before and after

I am looking for an answer too

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Taiwan
    Honestly, I ahve bought every kind of Shrimp available in Asia, including the huge ones which actualy eat the plants and nothing removed BBA.

Solution was frequent water changes, manual removal, and then increased CO2 level and making CO2 consisitant. LOwering light duration also helped, but manual removal is the most important.

BBA that is there, as nothing gets rid of it (except H202) or in some cases Blackouts, though that did not remove in my case.
    */Tank Specs*/
    50Gallon (90 X 45 X 45) Tetra Ex120, CO2 @1~2 bps, 4X30 watt @8 hrs
    29 Gallon (61X40X45cm) DIY ADA stand, Eheim 2215, Fishline 48w T5 light @8hrs
    17 Gallon Mr.Aqua (60X30X36cm) DIY ADA stand, Fishline T5 lights 48watts @7 hrs
    Tank in Progress (120X60X55cm) DIY sliding door stand, Reef style tank w/ SUMP+Eheim pump, T5- 6X54w

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Yamatos do the job... you just have to ignore the tank and not feed. Force them to eat what is there. Lower your lights and starve...
    Manual removal does of course incease the speed which these things dissappear.
    In a long term point of view... what campbell suggested is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i have ever introduced 100malayan shrimps to my 2ft tank infested with hair algae and surprisingly they cleared all the hairalgae within a few days. but then, the tank was later infested with BBA, they were unable to clear them though..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Okay so confirmed malayan can clear hair algae but not BBA.

Yamato can clear BBA but need to starve them. Does it clear hair algae?

Any other shrimp that can clear other sorts of algae so maybe we can compile a list?

Nerite snails clear Green Spot Algae for me. In case someone wants to find a way to clear GSA. But side effect is they lay eggs (resembles sesame seeds). Maybe limiting only 1 nerite per tank can stop the egg-laying. Testing now..

My albino common pleco clears Green Beard Algae so I assume the non-albinos does the same. My African Lake Malawi cichlids (Melanochromis Auratus) also clears GBA pretty fast though not recommended to keep them in planted tanks or with any other fish due to their destructive aggression.

My tank with BBA is low tech with no CO2 except occasional dose of Excel but I do not keep a regular dosing schedule nowadays. Will try to do regular dosing.
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
    i have ever introduced 100malayan shrimps to my 2ft tank infested with hair algae and surprisingly they cleared all the hairalgae within a few days. but then, the tank was later infested with BBA, they were unable to clear them though..
    ya, i remember this, I recalled Peter saying reduce the light instead of going for the increase bioload to manage algae, that why in the end more problems unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yup, the best combo of algae cleaners are SAE, Oto and Yamato.
    I like to use cherries because they can reproduce but still keep a few yamato as they live longer than 2 years[and counting]
    SAE's I hate to admit do a good job with nipping any hairy algae in the bud, literally. As such BBA mostly grows near the top area where non of these fellas frequent.
    So far IME only Spiky/peacock and flame moss are resistant to SAE's.

It's also a good idea to keep your filter unclogged so that the microorganisms can keep converting organic matter into inorganics for your plant consumption.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blueboy View Post
    How big is your tank and how much Excel are you dosing everyday?
    A 1 feet cube. I am currently dosing 1ml Excel every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    Yup, the best combo of algae cleaners are SAE, Oto and Yamato.
    I like to use cherries because they can reproduce but still keep a few yamato as they live longer than 2 years[and counting]
    SAE's I hate to admit do a good job with nipping any hairy algae in the bud, literally. As such BBA mostly grows near the top area where non of these fellas frequent.
    So far IME only Spiky/peacock and flame moss are resistant to SAE's.

It's also a good idea to keep your filter unclogged so that the microorganisms can keep converting organic matter into inorganics for your plant consumption.
    I have thought about SAEs but wonder if my 1 feet cube is too small for it considering I got about 7 Salifin mollies and some Endlers in it already.

I got 2 FOC Yamatos from bro daoism last night and they went into my 1 feet cube. They disappeared overnight...I suspect my salifin mollies attacked and killed them since I have witnessed my previous 3 adult yamatos hiding behind the plants after being pecked at by the mollies.

Sigh...that tank will have to go shrimpless since the mollies are too aggressive and they are too pretty to give up. Wonder if a single SAE can be deployed in my cube tank... And will the SAE turn on my mollies?

I washed the Hang-On Back filter every week and change the filter floss too so they shouldn't be clogged. Currently a 11W PL provides the lights and I only dose potassium and trace for this tank once a week with Excel every other day.
    Yours Truly, Avan

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how about taiwan shrimps?
    not sure what species is it, got it from colourful aquarium(opposite thomson medical centre and beside NA)
    and uncle richard told me that they are the best algae eaters around even way better than yamatos and malayans...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how about taiwan shrimps?
    not sure what species is it, got it from colourful aquarium(opposite thomson medical centre and beside NA)
    and uncle richard told me that they are the best algae eaters around even way better than yamatos and malayans...
    Really? Thought they are just the wild versions of cherries...Will go hunt for them to test. Thanks
    Yours Truly, Avan

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    are they? some are reddish though.. hope they are not cherries..
    cherries are not really good at eating algae.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by zyblack View Post
    A 1 feet cube. I am currently dosing 1ml Excel every other day.
    I have thought about SAEs but wonder if my 1 feet cube is too small for it considering I got about 7 Salifin mollies and some Endlers in it already.

I think if you keep one young <2" SAE is still ok. The SAE will not bother your mollies.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    are they? some are reddish though.. hope they are not cherries..
    cherries are not really good at eating algae.
    Yep found the thread from AF about the Taiwan shrimps. From the
    "God of Shrimps"...can't be far wrong...

Taiwan Shrimps
    Yours Truly, Avan

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by StanChung View Post
    I think if you keep one young <2" SAE is still ok. The SAE will not bother your mollies.
    Okay! Will go hunt for one. Hope things work out!
    Yours Truly, Avan

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just a warning, SAE is very hard to catch especially in dense planted tank. make mater worst they can grow big prety fast make them not suitable for small tank
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A couple of years ago, Mr Tan of System Control & Engineering had a type of shrimp called 'black shell' shrimp from taiwan in his display tank. He claimed they are the perfect algae eaters. As he is one of the top moss growers, also a moss seller and his tanks are spotless, he may have some basis in his claim. I can't find this type of the shrimp anywhere but I understand some of the guys here managed to get some.

Anyone heard of this? It looks like malayan shrimps but with more transparent shell.
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by zenscape View Post
    A couple of years ago, Mr Tan of System Control & Engineering had a type of shrimp called 'black shell' shrimp from taiwan in his display tank. He claimed they are the perfect algae eaters. As he is one of the top moss growers, also a moss seller and his tanks are spotless, he may have some basis in his claim. I can't find this type of the shrimp anywhere but I understand some of the guys here managed to get some.

Anyone heard of this? It looks like malayan shrimps but with more transparent shell.
    Could be the Taiwan Shrimp EvolutionZ is talking about. These shrimps has some dark stripes across their shell.
    Yours Truly, Avan

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Cool. Great to hear they are still around in Singapore. Just found this link to share :taiwan shrimp
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast