Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to get rid of hair algae?

Feedback Score

How to get rid of hair algae?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello, my plants seem to be suffering from an attack from e hair algae. The leaves near the surface of the water have these green hairs all over them... can someone plse share some advice on how to get rid of them?

Feedback Score
    have got the same problem too. hair algae all over the tank even on the thermometer!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try intro some SAEs.... they will keep it clean but not really sure....
    Don't bother if its Black cats or White cats, so long as it can catch Rats. Its a Good Cat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Care to list your tank parameters so that fellow forumers can help you guys better. Nutrient balance is the key to good algae control. (Weekly dosage of K seems to help as plants uptake of nutrient seems to increase [] )
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    There are many kinds of algae which can be called "hair algae"... perhaps you could post a pic of what you are talking about?

Also some info on your tank parameters would be good... i.e. Tank Volume, Lighting, No of lighting hours, fertilization regime, NH3, NO2, NO3, PH, and KH levels.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    I am a beginner so i don't have any test kits yet... so i can't really tell u e parameter. I have a 20L tank (very small i know)... 13W PL lights, on for bt 14 hrs daily. em, quite loaded with fish, 7 neons, 1 otto, 3 alenquers (not recommended, i know... hahaha, my friend gave them to me for bday, nowhere to put them), 3 guppies, 1 yamoto (actually 2, but i think i just flushed it down e toilet bowl today during water chang... =P). Using this florapride LF by tetraplant, 5ml per week.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    OK... no probs... how about your lights? what sort of lights are you using and how many watts are they rated at. Also, how many hours a day is your light on, and does your tank get any direct sunlight?

I also forgot to ask it you are injecting CO2.

As for florapride, I suspect you may be overdosing... I've not used the stuff in years, but is the dosage 5ml/20L... even if it is, I would recommend reducing it a bit. The most effective way to combat algae is to limit the amount of surplus nutrients in the water. Perhaps you could try halfing the dosage for now.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Smaller tanks are not that easy to care as you think it is. That's why I always recommend the biggest tank you can afford. (Kife, no offence hor...)

Anyway, I suggest that you reduce the florapride fert by at least half as the fert is rather high in iron. What plants do you have inside? Any co2 injection? How old is the setup?..... try giving as much info as possible else it's a guessing game to solve your problem.

Also I would try reducing the lights at 10 hours. 14 hours is way too long.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]