Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interested to get started in marine tank...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Qingshun, can ask you how you brought your Chocolate back from the shop? Read somewhere that starfishes cannot be exposed to air, if not the part that had been exposed will sort of like rot off slowly & eventually it may even die... In fact, did the shop pack all your lifestocks into a bag & then pump in oxygen like when we buy freshwater fishes?

Intend to get a red starfish for my gal this coming weekends (if I can find one...) & introduce to my tank... [Checked the ANN yesterday & both Nitrate & Nitrite had came down already...].

Waterfaller, your marine tank sure looks nice!! [Makes me even more determined to continue in my venture of NANO Marine tank... had times when thought of giving up & just stick to freshwater... but luckily I didn't!!!] Thanks for your help & support!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

Hi Bettlejiuce403,

The decor in the tank are separate items. You will have to know the size / diameter of the opening of the Biorb before buying the items. Not that difficult lah. This is my third Biorb (60 litres), I hv another 2 Biorb (30 litres). 1 is in my office & the other with my father-in-law in Sabah.

I am looking at the Biube now. Thinking of converting it into a Marine Tank though. It has a capacity of 35 litres, like the CLEAN CUT DESIGN of the tank itself. Their filtration system is also good.

Thanks for your compliments too!

Patennis

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Waterfaller1 / Carole,

May I know what is the temp of the water in your 12gal nano cube tank? I would be absolutely delighted if I can a similar tank like yours!!!

I am a NEWBIE to the Marine Tank but hv been a keen hobbists of fish rearing for the past 20 years. I assume that you are in the US, local climate & temp conditions are also vital to the Marine Tank setup, right? In Singapore the average temp is about 26 - 30C, thus I think we would need a different setup here, right?

If you are willing to teach, I am willing to learn . ..

Nice tank & enjoy your time looking at it!

Patennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

LOL those sure are smiley fish XD

Hey Patennis, does that Biube of yours have any air bubbles in the tank? I'm a n00b at marine but I read somewhere that air bubbles in a marine tank is a big no-no. Also, on the subject of cooling, I use a fan for my 2ft-er and it keeps the temperature at an average of 28deg, which... is okay, since everything seems to be surviving (i.e. whatever managed to survive in the first place is still surviving).
    Last edited by Kristen; 12th Jul 2008 at 22:26.
    ~Kristen~

Fish enthusiast is a nice euphemism for manic geekery.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kristen,

Thanks for your sweet comments & question.

I am quite sure that the Biube does have bubbles, but I am also aware that Reef One does provide a Marine Tank Conversion Kit. Not sure how this works, but maybe with this conversion kit, maybe there will be no more bubbles. That is why I did asked the question : if anyone here have any experience in converting the Reef One tanks to Marine Tanks.

I am living in the North East and my place is just 10 mins from the Lor Halus Fish Farms area, this is also another reason / plus point for me to start a Marine Tank, as I am quite close to the Marine suppliers.

Care to share with me some pics of your Marine Tank??? I am not looking for a big setup, just wanted some small for my bar counter. Maybe when I have MASTERED the techniques of Marine Fish Rearing, then I will have a MARINE WALL in my living room lah . . . That is my DREAM!!!

Patennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, the smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain stable water parameters. You should read this book: The Nano-Reef Handbook by CR Brightwell. It taught me a lot when I decided to fork out exorbitant amounts of money for this hobby. There's a copy at BK Panjang Library.

And if you need advice, I've found that the people at Jireh Marine in West Coast Way are very helpful. Especially Daniel and Uncle Jimmy. ^_^

Well, here is a picture of my tank - don't mind the floating slime, I moved some rocks around an hour ago and corals tend to spew the stuff everywhere if you move them. >_<

PS: Just bought a seahorse today... God I pray it survives >___<;;; please please please let it live...
    ~Kristen~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

Hi Kristen,

Thanks for your advice & pic of your tank. Nice setup . .. I hope your new seahorse is doing well & fine...

I will try to get hold of this book, I wonder do they also have copies in the Eastern libraries of Singapore???

With regards to Jireh Marine, never been there before. But I visited Harlequin Marine the other day and saw some of their customised tanks, NICE ONES. A little pricey though, but I guess its OK as they are CUSTOM MADE to suit your needs & match the look / concept you have at home. You have any experience with them???

How often do you do a water change to your marine tank? Or do you even change the water in the first place??? I do know that the setup & maintenance are very different from that of a FreshWater Tank.

Went to C329 earlier today, looking for some accessories & new tanks. Saw a really nice Genoah Nano Tank (in white) going for $89 only. Comes complete with Filter, Tank Cover & Lighting. Thinking of getting it soon & start another tank in my home... maybe a vivarium!

Will keep in touch with you when I am ready for my PILOT MARINE TANK . . .

Thanks again!

Patennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by patennis View Post
    Hi Fellow Marine Fanatics,

Anyone here tried to start Marine Tank using the Reef One System? I am referring to the Biorb & Biube setup. I currently hv a 60 lit Biorb and am thinking of getting another one but with a Marine Tank setup. I do know that Reef One does provide a Marine Tank Conversion Kit. Any Reef One experts out there?

Here are some pics of my current 60 lit Biorb Tank...

Thank you!
    I am sorry, but they just look so uncomfortable in there! Please do not attempt a saltwater set up in such a tank. The filtration in this tank is not going to support saltwater fish. It's just wrong on so many levels.
    Maintaining a small nano cube like mine is not hard at all, if you do what I do. I do a 2 1/2 to 3 gallon water change{and sometimes a bit more} EVERY week without fail. I use the great salt mix~Tropic Marin Pro. I top off every day, even though it's just a tiny bit.I use RO/DI water from my own unit. I maintain a 0 TDS{total dissolved solids} at all times. In my state, the water is bad..like liquid rock, so I use two carbon blocks, and two DI's.
    Stability, not overstocking, and simple maintenance is the key to keeping a nano tank. My tanks rely on the live rock and live sand for filtration. No bioballs or such media is needed. I research each and every animal for compatibility, particularly my coral choices for the nano. I have a couple LPS, but overall my corals are not too demanding in that tank, so they don't remove too much needed elements before the next water change occurs. Unlike my 90 gallon which must be dosed with alkalinity and calcium every day, the nano does not need it. There are creatures for my clean up crew, that stay small, and each have a different job. Again ..NOT OVERSTOCKING and not overfeeding..is one of the most important, [and hardest thing sometimes] to do. My tanks stay at about 79-80 degrees F. Occasionally they may push 82*, with no detrimental effects.
    Last edited by waterfaller1; 16th Jul 2008 at 18:43.
    smile~ Carole

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    Actually, the smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain stable water parameters. You should read this book: The Nano-Reef Handbook by CR Brightwell. It taught me a lot when I decided to fork out exorbitant amounts of money for this hobby. There's a copy at BK Panjang Library.

And if you need advice, I've found that the people at Jireh Marine in West Coast Way are very helpful. Especially Daniel and Uncle Jimmy. ^_^

Well, here is a picture of my tank - don't mind the floating slime, I moved some rocks around an hour ago and corals tend to spew the stuff everywhere if you move them. >_<

PS: Just bought a seahorse today... God I pray it survives >___<;;; please please please let it live...

I like the tank setup Looks like what I used to have But I have problems clearing the little debris after a few months that got stuck in those small rocks crevices and.....kaputt.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
    I am sorry, but they just look so uncomfortable in there! Please do not attempt a saltwater set up in such a tank. The filtration in this tank is not going to support saltwater fish. It's just wrong on so many levels.
    Maintaining a small nano cube like mine is not hard at all, if you do what I do. I do a 2 1/2 to 3 gallon water change{and sometimes a bit more} EVERY week without fail. I use the great salt mix~Tropic Marin Pro. I top off every day, even though it's just a tiny bit.I use RO/DI water from my own unit. I maintain a 0 TDS{total dissolved solids} at all times. In my state, the water is bad..like liquid rock, so I use two carbon blocks, and two DI's.
    Stability, not overstocking, and simple maintenance is the key to keeping a nano tank. My tanks rely on the live rock and live sand for filtration. No bioballs or such media is needed. I research each and every animal for compatibility, particularly my coral choices for the nano. I have a couple LPS, but overall my corals are not too demanding in that tank, so they don't remove too much needed elements before the next water change occurs. Unlike my 90 gallon which must be dosed with alkalinity and calcium every day, the nano does not need it. There are creatures for my clean up crew, that stay small, and each have a different job. Again ..NOT OVERSTOCKING and not overfeeding..is one of the most important, [and hardest thing sometimes] to do. My tanks stay at about 79-80 degrees F. Occasionally they may push 82*, with no detrimental effects.

I agree.
    Also look at the side of the tank. Looks like surgeon tools waiting to operate on the poor parrots

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Kristen, that's a nice looking tank. How big is it? If you have not, I urge you to read at http://seahorse.org/ Seahorses are very social creatures and should not be kept single. Most get quite large, 12"+. If wild caught they can come in with a host of maladies, most of which manifest themself due to the stress of handling and moving. Flesh eating bacteria is common.They are a wonderful fish to keep, if their needs are met. Good luck.
    smile~ Carole

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I like the tank setup Looks like what I used to have But I have problems clearing the little debris after a few months that got stuck in those small rocks crevices and.....kaputt.
    A turkey baster is the best tool! Here they can be purchased for $1.00. Rocks should be blown clean of detritus and leftover food on a regular basis. If this is done after awhile, the amount will be minimum. This keeps food from festering into a situation prime for growing algae and having problems. You will notice my nano cube is clean, even after almost 6 years! A turkey baster is also a good tool for feeding shy cave dwelling fish such as gobies. My pair of yellow watchmans, and pair of Oscellaris clownfish in my 90 gal will come right up to the baster to be fed like spoiled babies.
    smile~ Carole

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    With regards to Jireh Marine, never been there before. But I visited Harlequin Marine the other day and saw some of their customised tanks, NICE ONES. A little pricey though, but I guess its OK as they are CUSTOM MADE to suit your needs & match the look / concept you have at home. You have any experience with them???

How often do you do a water change to your marine tank? Or do you even change the water in the first place??? I do know that the setup & maintenance are very different from that of a FreshWater Tank.
    Harlequin Marine has amazing variety, however many items tend to be overpriced and unquarantined. I spent $80+ there on fish, only to have all but one succumb to a disease that afflicted the whole system (all the fish from that shipment too had died around the same time). The diease also took down my two beloved false percula.

A case in point is the fact that mushroom corals I purchased from Jireh Marine on the same day as I bought similar mushrooms from Harlequin are still flourishing, while those from Harlequin had long since died I'm not throwing stones here but... seriously... I was so put out with that store...

I change my water once a week, about 25% each time with a salinity of 1.021-3. I also invested in a water filter which removes carbon, silica, and other heavy metals, along with clorine and cloramine.

Kristen, that's a nice looking tank. How big is it? If you have not, I urge you to read at http://seahorse.org/ Seahorses are very social creatures and should not be kept single. Most get quite large, 12"+. If wild caught they can come in with a host of maladies, most of which manifest themself due to the stress of handling and moving. Flesh eating bacteria is common.They are a wonderful fish to keep, if their needs are met. Good luck.
    I have seen that site! I have never kept seahorses before so I'm learning new things about their behaviour everyday. I keep a female hippocampus kuda, which is tank bred and eating brine shrimp. I think if I get this girl to survive a month, I might invest in a boyfriend for her And I agree - a turkey baster is awesome to 'siphon' out hidden detritus. Occasionally, I will net all the buggers, move all the rocks and do a thorough siphon and major water change.
    ~Kristen~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A turkey baster is the best tool! Here they can be purchased for $1.00. Rocks should be blown clean of detritus and leftover food on a regular basis. If this is done after awhile, the amount will be minimum. This keeps food from festering into a situation prime for growing algae and having problems. You will notice my nano cube is clean, even after almost 6 years! A turkey baster is also a good tool for feeding shy cave dwelling fish such as gobies. My pair of yellow watchmans, and pair of Oscellaris clownfish in my 90 gal will come right up to the baster to be fed like spoiled babies.
    Thanks for the advice. At first I thought your tank setup is as good as new.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice403 View Post
    Hi Qingshun, can ask you how you brought your Chocolate back from the shop? Read somewhere that starfishes cannot be exposed to air, if not the part that had been exposed will sort of like rot off slowly & eventually it may even die... In fact, did the shop pack all your lifestocks into a bag & then pump in oxygen like when we buy freshwater fishes?

Intend to get a red starfish for my gal this coming weekends (if I can find one...) & introduce to my tank... [Checked the ANN yesterday & both Nitrate & Nitrite had came down already...].

Waterfaller, your marine tank sure looks nice!! [Makes me even more determined to continue in my venture of NANO Marine tank... had times when thought of giving up & just stick to freshwater... but luckily I didn't!!!] Thanks for your help & support!!
    They will pack your starfish together with any LS in a bag. Dun think it will be a problem if your starfish is not exposed to air for long.

So far, all my LS are doing good. And I have not made any water changes yet. I have added a small baby percula in the tank. Abit regret though... cause whenever I try to feed, my 2 bigger fishes would grab all the food.. leaving nothing for the poor baby. I dunno whether the little fish would survive like that..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kristen,

Will be going MARINE TANK shopping this weekend.

Might take up the packge deal with either Harlequin Marine or another supplier at Lor Halus Fish Farm area. Need a customised tank for my BAR AREA lah. Will have a simple start-up in the beginning before moving onwards to BIGGER things.

I think I will not start the Marine Tank using the Reef One Tank System as I get no feedback from anyone here that has tried it before. But will still get the Biube for another project in my living room, maybe might move some of my parrots in the 60 litres Biorb into the 35 litres Biube lah.

Thanks for all your advice & will keep all you informed about my new projects!

Patennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Kristen,

Will be going MARINE TANK shopping this weekend.

Might take up the packge deal with either Harlequin Marine or another supplier at Lor Halus Fish Farm area. Need a customised tank for my BAR AREA lah. Will have a simple start-up in the beginning before moving onwards to BIGGER things.

I think I will not start the Marine Tank using the Reef One Tank System as I get no feedback from anyone here that has tried it before. But will still get the Biube for another project in my living room, maybe might move some of my parrots in the 60 litres Biorb into the 35 litres Biube lah.

Thanks for all your advice & will keep all you informed about my new projects!

Patennis
    not implying anything here, but you should be accessing local marine
    specific forum for more altrenatives in setting up your marine tank.

There are two local marine forums
    http://www.absolutereef.com/forums/
    http://www.sgreefclub.com/

Mods, pls delete this post if you deem fit. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wink

Hi Zephyros,

Thanks for the advice. But I do know the folks at Harlequin quite well. Like their custom made tanks lah. As for the actual marine stock, I will stick to the folks / shops at the Lor Halus area as I lived around that area.

Thanks for your advice nevertheless . . .

Patennis

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Startin a marine tank is not easy, u reali need to put in tons of effort and times......... i saw a few familiar faces here...... as we r frm absolutereef but i give up after reefing for 5yrs. Main reason of giving up is due to comittment

Attach some of my EX-tank pix....... how u guyz like it.
    Last edited by fishrock; 30th Jul 2008 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

Hi FishRock,

WOW! Your tank does truly ROCKS!!! Very Very beautiful... must be very painful for you to give it all up... So you are not keeping any aquariums now???

Thanks for sharing with us your amazing pics!

Patennis

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast