Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interested to get started in marine tank...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Interested to get started in marine tank...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, am interested (always been fascinated) to start a marine tank (a NANO one) for my little gal (actually also for myself... ), however, have almost zero knowledge (even after reading up articles on the Net & browsing another local forum) about it & would like to hear advises/ suggestions from all experts in here...

1) Tank - Am intending to buy a 2nd-hand Gex Genoah 235 Tank set (24 cm cube) from a friendly bro in AQ (comes with the original GEX light & hang-on filter).
    2) Sand - Intend to collect (I know I may violate some laws here but... ) from the beaches here over the weekends... Will throughly wash it & then boil it before introducing to tank. (is it enough?)
    3) Liverocks - Hopefully can get some pieces from the bros in here as visiting the Fish Farms is abit inconvenient (without car & have to bring my gal along...). Don't mind paying a token sum for it.
    4) Livestocks - For these, really need some advices... Think most probably will start with a FOWLR set-up (always liked the behaviour of clown fish, so what other livestock can co-live well with it?). How much livestock can the tank accomodate? Which LFS can I visit to get these healthy livestocks @ reasonable prices?
    5) Water - Will be using aged tapwater & then adding in some marine salt (courtesy of the bro whom I'll be getting the Gex tankset.)
    6) Water change - What will the frequency be like & how much?
    7) AOB - Any other things/ issues that I'll need to take note of? Please do enlighten me...

Had learnt a lot on Planted tank ever since I joined AQ, so now hope to learn slowly also about marine tank... Cheers!!

PS: Anyone who got spare liverocks to spare, do PM me & I'll reply to you ASAP. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Not an expert here but I'll chime in my personal opinion though.

1) I'll forget about small tank if I were you. Minimum 2ft cube and above are ideal believe me. You'll soon get the collectivirus sickness and you'll be buying a lot of corals and fish.......

2) Don't do this. You do not know what is hiding in those sand. Or what have been placed on it.

3) That's ok but do you know about liverock in the 1st place?

4) A small tank can only support a small number of livestock.

5) No, no, no, and definitely no tap water at all for a marine setup. You'll need ro/di water to mix with the salt.

6) Depending on the amount of livestock you have. Some do weekly water change while other monthly.

7) It seems you haven't mention what equipment would go with the tank, stuff like the wavemaker, skimmer, lighting, chiller, media reactor and what not.

A saltwater setup is very different than a freshwater planted tank setup. It require more funds, more effort and more time than what a planted tank require. You cannot leave the tank unattended compared to a freshwater tank setup. The number of equipment needed is larger compared to a freshwater tank. My advice is if you are really interested in having a marine tank, get a proper setup that include a tank, sump and cabinet. But if you still going for the nano setup, be prepared to do twice a week of water change.

Hope this helps!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah brother,

from what you have mention, it seemed you would need more information before starting a marine, hope you are not offended

i have been reading for 4 years, visited friends who own marine tanks but yet i still am not willing to try due to the budget and commitment involved.

I don't wanna kill any livestock, the most i would go for is just live rocks and minimum invertebrates. watching liverocks can be very rewarding

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I hoped to share my experience. I have just given up my 4ft marine tank because it's too costly to maintain.

I currently have a small tank Nano and I can say that it is only possible to keep hardy fishes like damsel, gramma and clown fish no problem. I have only 3 fishes inside and is filled with some marine rocks only. Live rocks and coral is totally impossible to survive and it merciful not to buy and put them in. (Its like locking a Siberian husky in the closet) Won't last long and then the tank will stink and... finally give up.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi! I'm no expert and I realize that I learned alot of things the hard way. However, once you do step into the world of marine, you realize you just can't stop. One tank is not enough lol. Let me warn you though, initial set up will be expensive, even for a small tank. However, setting up well in the beginning will save you money on livestocks so it shouldn't be so bad.

1) Tank - The larger the tank, the more stable the water parameters, which is all important. However, you do need two kinds of bulbs for your tank, if you ever want corals (and you will, those tempting things...). Best to get a light set that can accomodate two types of bulbs - actinic blue and daylight.

Your filter will also need special media for marine tanks, which can hit $40 for All-zorb. You may also need a protein skimmer which removes dissolved organic substances in your water.

If you're willing to make the investment, get this nifty baby. I use it and it's got everything my tank needs, meaning no experimenting and wasting money on equiptment that don't match and suck (like protein skimmers that release micro bubbles which are bad for fish and corals).

2) Sand - Don't collect from the wild lol. Like what BFG said. Best is to buy - not that expensive and you only need a shallow sand bed, like 3-4 cm.

3) Liverocks - This is the backbone of a marine system. Liverocks can take care of the majority of your biological filtration and without them, your fish die liao. The best kinds of rocks are fiji liverocks, but they are super ex. Any kind wil do, provided you buy them cured. And dude... liverocks for my 2ft tank hit $70, so brace yourself.

4) Livestocks - The hardiest fishes are the damsel fish (super aggressive and not good for nano tanks), false perfula clownfishes and gammas or dottybacks. MANY MARINE FISHES ARE AGGRESSIVE so you need to research the species you want to buy before getting them.

Hardy corals can be put into the tank, provided you don't overstock with fish and liverock. Pulsing Xenia, Zooanthids, Moon Corals or Mushrooms are good for beginners and are the only kinds i dare keep lol. Once again, research on the aggresiveness and potential size of your corals before you buy them. Some corals just do not get along in cramped quarters.

If you get an anemone, do it months after your system is set up. Otherwise, the thing will move all over the tank, zapping corals, before spewing toxic slime that might kill everything in your tank before dieing itself. It would be horrible to be so tormented by a creature with no brain. Despite that, they are damn cool XD They poop through their mouths like some people I know!

Invertibrates can also and should be added to the tank. Basic inverts are hermit crabs and snails for cleaning purposes.

5) Water - You will need to prepare your water before you even bring your liverock home. Some salts take longer than others to dissolve. Also, getting the correct specific gravity for salt water is tricky... even I suck at it after months of keeping a marine tank. As BFG says - reverse osmosis water is the best. However, I use tap water with seachem prime conditioner, because I am poor Be warned, there are also alot of other additives that you need to add to the water weekly like magnesium, strotium, iodine, calcium and others. Again, money fly away...

6) Water change - Generally partial changes weekly for nano setups.

7) AOB - Once you start, you just can't stop. Marine tank expenditures might be high, but honestly, marine tanks are beautiful... if well maintained, even more beautiful than planted tanks (don't stone me guys >_<)

Think of the expenditure as the price of madness lol :P

And yes, I am long-winded. <_< Sue me.
    ~Kristen~

Fish enthusiast is a nice euphemism for manic geekery.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    With the expectation of having a nice tank with beautiful fishes and corals and colourful shrimps and nice rocks I can say is that every month be prepared to fork out much $ . Great food you must give them (quality food is expensive Hikari JBL Tetra food are all imported) as some food they don't eat. Some live food is necessary to keep their colour. Coral and some specials (sponge, 'coral bits' algae) in the live rocks have special feeding habits and die out if starved off. Chiller is the main energy killer but very necessary. Also lights for the corals also expensive. Low heat- giving high efficiency pumps to rotate the water circulation. To be successful I say every month be prepare to fork out $150 for the maintenance. Guess why a lot of people give up marine fishes despite their appeal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    im pretty much interested in setting up a marine tank too. have been reading for months.. was set back due to the high maintaince cost as well as he things we need.
    TS, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread.. can learn together
    i was wondering, at temperature of 27C~, what soft coral or any coral can we keep?
    a plain tank with only live rocks seems a bit boring..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    At that temperature,can keep those 'brown or green colour type mushroom' soft corals,but must check out the lighting required. They also like to choose places they fancy. Some like it bright, others like dim. Some like current movement, some like quiet spot. Very funny for living things with small (no?) brain tissue. Instinct maybe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a marine tank for 2yrs+. And had known friends that had different size tank.
    as mentioned, the bigger the better. Not saying that one cannot succeed in small
    tank setup, but it is unhealthly for the LS, as small tank is difficult to keep the
    parameter constant. me too think anything below 2ft is just too small for the LS.
    talk to reputable LFS. If you'll staying on the west side, try MarineLife at
    West Coast Drive, Hong Leong Shopping Center.

Again, read more before jumping into it. Prepare the equipement list, LS and post it
    in a marine forum for comments. Ppl will be willing to help. Make the first right step
    will safe you $$$ and furstration along the way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    There are many ppl giving up marine in the recent years. Not such if its the high cost of maintenance or the "craze" is over. Thus look out for bargain buy from online forums to start out. Dun need to spend gd $$ brand new stuffs since u are starting out.

At temperature 27degress, imo, u can keep most LPS and soft corals. Even some easy sps is possible.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    heard from a friend that using Fan is no good for marine tank as the water evaporate faster and the salt level will change too..
    who uses fan for your marine tanK?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    If ur tank volume is small, the changes in salinity might affect some sensitive fauna. However, u can avoid this by doing regular top up.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have kept marine for about 2 yrs and
    thinking to decomm a 4ft due to work constraint
    still thinking hard

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow! Kudos to all the bro's/ sis's who'd given me kind & constructive comments/ advises on my thread!!!

Had the same concerns (too nano a tank, hence may face very sensitive water parameters...) as some of you here also, but still decided to plunge into this hobby for a trial...

Had already set up my Nano tank with live sand & rocks with the appropriate SG level today... Hopefully in a weeks (as advised by the person in the Marine Fish Shop) or more time, I'm able to add in the livestocks & enjoy this new found hobby of mine... [Not intending to give up planted or freshwater aquarium as I still have a lot to learn from all the experts in here...]

Wish me luck & fun in my venture of Marine Aquarium...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe can keep us posted of ur tank man

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    1 week, I doubt the tank will be ready. For a new setup, you'll probably need 3 weeks. My advise, get the N02 testkit. Take a reading every alternate day. You'll probably find that its zero for these few days. A week later, the reading will rise to peak at ard 2 week. After which, it will eventually falls to zero. That's when you know the tank is ready. All part of the nitrogen cycle.

Cheers
    JC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Get the fishes slowly. One at a time. small and peaceful ones only

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice403 View Post
    Had already set up my Nano tank with live sand & rocks with the appropriate SG level today... Hopefully in a weeks (as advised by the person in the Marine Fish Shop) or more time,
    just a thought for ur self and the LS that u are going to add, a week or
    even a couple of weeks is not enough to stablise the tank. U can add in
    the rock first, throw in a very small dead market prawn to kick start the ANN cycle ... some LFS will suggest some sort of kick start the tank with
    some sort of bacteria solution or pills ... ONLY add LS when u have
    0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 0 or close to 0 Nitrate ... only then u are sure
    that there are bacteria to break down the Ammonia/Nitrite to Nitrate.
    Coz u are having a nano, so add LS very very slowly. dun add too many
    at one go, after very adding, check that the nitrate lvl is able to drop
    down before adding somemore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I also think it is best if you buy your equipment new. Unlike fresh water tanks, the equipment for marine tends to 'wear and tear' at a faster rate and also if the equipment is not washed properly before storage prior for resale, I think there is a high tendency for it to have some problems after running not too long.

Also your protein skimmer is very important. You cannot get a bigger one as the motor will be too big and generated a lot of heat. A small one and you may have to empty the waste in the cup every 2 days. I have to empty mine every 2 days and already find it highly annoying.

Another thing is overfeeding ,you have to be carefuland to clear the debris at the bottom every weekend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyone any suggestions on how to top up the water?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast