Country
    Singapore

UV sterilizer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I am facing hair algae problem...dosing with chemicals such as azzo alage removers or even vista algae remover which the boss of C328 recommend does not help.

Can anyone confirm that UV sterilizer help to remove hair alage?beside killing bacteria....heard it from my friendly fish shop owner n will like to confirm it before buying

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blackjack0512 View Post
    Hi,

I am facing hair algae problem...dosing with chemicals such as azzo alage removers or even vista algae remover which the boss of C328 recommend does not help.

Can anyone confirm that UV sterilizer help to remove hair alage?beside killing bacteria....heard it from my friendly fish shop owner n will like to confirm it before buying
    UV works on green water and floating bacteria only! Get some SAE or Malayan shrimp, you will see amazing effect within few days!

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Oh! Btw, dont get too big SAE, they are too lazy!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not only are adult SAE's lazy, they're competitive for food and eat my moss. As what Bro Blue33 said, UV is great for green water & floating bacteria but don't be mistaken of it killing off your BB as its places after your BB column.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaculture View Post
    Not only are adult SAE's lazy, they're competitive for food and eat my moss. As what Bro Blue33 said, UV is great for green water & floating bacteria but don't be mistaken of it killing off your BB as its places after your BB column.
    Yup, thats right!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have UV but still hair algae bloom all over.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    I have UV but still hair algae bloom all over.
    UV dont kill hair algae! Unlike green water.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    i remembered both eddy and myself indicated to you sometime in mar that dosing chemical to manage your algae might not be the best solutions. Seems you have gone ahead and are having resilent issues now. Not much comment from me right now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    UV dont kill hair algae! Unlike green water.

Please dont be mistaken, I just providing a feedback to the thread starter that UV does not handle hair algae. I bought it during the days when I keep goldfish and rather putting it into storage, I continue to use it to manage the water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    UV are mainly for the fishs and live stocks, correct me if i am wrong
    My HighLand Terrarium, planting carnivorous plants and orchids

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Please dont be mistaken, I just providing a feedback to the thread starter that UV does not handle hair algae. I bought it during the days when I keep goldfish and rather putting it into storage, I continue to use it to manage the water.
    of course is does not, unless you put it on top of your tank and shine to the tank which probably will kill your fish and plant as well . It will kill the algae spore though. So what you can do is remove the hair algae manually and let the UV kill it spore. This way no new hair algae grow.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Actually my algae growth is pretty much contained.Just that hair alage will still appear on my slow grower....Not alot but still visible...

I did try the chemical but none reali work so I pluck all my infected plants up n replant with new ones...

Then i start using bottle bacteria that breakdown waste n ammonia and things improved more...At first using Azzo bacteria....then switch to "waterlife" Bacterlife which is quite effective (less dirt on my filer pipes) but too exp.

So now switch to nutrafin cycle (more for reducing ammonia etc n less of waster breakdown) and Aqualife nitrobacteria. Both come in large bottle which is cheaper.I actually looking for a good bacteria that breakdown waste like nutafin waste control but cant find.

I also add a cheap hapor UV sterilizer.Now waiting for results....see whether any new hair algae will grow

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I know.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Delwin View Post
    UV are mainly for the fishs and live stocks, correct me if i am wrong
    UV purpose is to kill those that is moving around in the water, another word is mobile and those that can pass through the UV canister. Most of the time it would not kill the bacteria as the bacteria is stick to those stationery object unless you scrub it out, eg glass wall, plant, rock, filter media, soil, sand etc... Alot of people misunderstood that bacteria is those moving around in the water.
    Last edited by blue33; 23rd Jun 2008 at 21:57.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    UV purpose is to kill those that is moving around in the water, another word is mobile and those that can pass through the UV canister. Most of the time it would not kill the bacteria as the bacteria is stick to those stationery object unless you scrub it out, eg glass wall, plant, stock, filter media, soil, sand etc... Alot of people misunderstood that bacteria is those moving around in the water.
    this is what i mean
    My HighLand Terrarium, planting carnivorous plants and orchids