Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Puffer Fish?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys , just discovered that my fish tank has tiny snails crawling all over the place. must be introduced when i was putting in new plants.

I heard about puffer fishes and would like to know more. I do know that their primary food is snails but after the snails run out , wat do these tiny guys eat?

Do they attack shrimps or other crawlies? I have quite a number of malayan , tiger and bumblebee shrimps in my tank.

Input pls? thanks !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    why puffers? Get a couple of small loaches, any kind. Just as effective and they won't crunch the prawns.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Puffer fishes eat live or frozen food... or fish fins...

Be careful, they are fin nippers.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bclee..the way you say it sounds like puffers really eat fish fins ah...LOL [] ...Not typical of their diet though..nippers as you mention later is much more appropriate. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My puffer has never given probs... no nipped fins, or dead shrimp that I can see... Typically he's quite happy to take a bite out of the blood worms I chuck in. As for snail handling, nothing beats a puffer... I used to think they eat the snail, but now I think they don't... they just kill them... my lone puffer whacked off over 50+ snails in a day (that was how many was on my once infested backing)... if you're worried, choosed the smallest most timid looking one you can find.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    My first batch of shrimps were Yamatos... and when I found that they were dying for no reason, I had thought my water conditions were bad... but the dead shrimps were found without eyes and legs. Then one day I saw it! My puffer first blinds the shrimps by eating the eyes... then the tail and legs. Very graphic to watch and not be able to do anything. My puffer murdered almost all of my 15 yamatos.[] Strangely though, none of my fish were attacked.

My wild guess is that it all depends on how big the tank is. You should only get 1 puffer per 4 foot tank. And have lotsa covers for your shrimps cos puffers are aggressive predators. They actually go into the plants to search out the snails and shrimps.

I could be wrong, but I'm positive that they will kill your shrimps.
    -----------------------------
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    I have no problem with puffer, especially when there is enought food to eat when snail are no longer available. The do then to fin nip but depending on the fishes you keep most are fast enought not to get caught. Also I use the puffer with figure 8 pattern. I understand that not all puffer is this effective.

I wonder what type of puffer do you guys use. Maybe can share some experience.

Feedback Score
    I was using the figure 8 puffer. It was so fierce, I gave it away and bought a much smaller "mini" puffer... the yellow ones. Had the same problem, so I took it out, isolated it . It refused to eat the snails I threw in and died about a month later. Probably the result of his hunger strike.[]
    -----------------------------
    Clarence Hoe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Never tot the puffer fish can do so much damage. Read sumwhere that Rams are also quite effective in wiping out the snails? i hope the rams dunt harm other tank mates like tetras n prawns. Do they?

If they dunt , then i would settle for a ram to handle the snails then. dunt wanna lose my shrimps!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Used to have a puffer to get rid of the snails.. it did go for the bloodworms when the snals are gone but it did went for the fish tails. Now, I'm having some snail infestation too in my 4 ft tank. Did not bother to get rid of them. Some even grew to be 1cm big, but I'm hoping that it would help in eating up algae and rotting plant matters. At least this way, I won't stressed out unecessarily b'cos of the fish losing their tails.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    eprouve,

its no wonder your shrimps died... the figure 8 puffer is NOT the right puffer... that is a very aggressive and lethal puffer... you should be looking at the pygmy puffers... I believe there is a small pic used as an avatar available.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So anyone know if the RAM is suitable for the task of cleaning up the snails? i have a 2.5Feet tank (125L). Would 1 RAM be enuff for the job?

If puffers are more suitable , would a single mini-puffer do for the tank of that size pls? thanks

How come nobody likes loaches? Loaches are very lively and cute. Our kuhli loaches are very lively and like to swim up and down the side of the tank. We have some Pakistani loaches (?) too and they're quite agile. We used to have clown loaches and they were so naughty, they like to sleep on the gravel and scare us to death (thot they died)! And they look like bak-chang when they're very very fat!

And loaches won't eat your other fishy's tails or shrimps, but they like to swim around very fast. Recommended for controlling snail population!
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I keep a few loaches in my tank, and like you I agree that they are great fish... very fun to watch, and quite playful. I initially got them because of similar fears as those stated above... i.e. a puffer being too aggressive, and also cuz loaches are supposed to help with snails. However, they can't be compared with a puffer in terms of snail control capabilities... puffers can wipe out a snail infestation in a couple of days... as for my loaches... well they just seem to wait for feeding time.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the trick is to starve them for a couple of days. my pakistani will then go around noisily after lights out, grabbing the emerging malayan trumpet snails and sucking the life out of them. The next morning i find a cache of empty shells on the gravel.

But it's really up to you, though IMHO, a ram would probably find a cherry shrimp just as crunchy as a snail.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to qualify my statement on puffers, I think they are great on those tiny snails in the tank, but anything bigger they probably won't touch.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Loaches tend to grow a lot bigger than puffers or RAMs rite? My tank is only 2.5 ft and cant afford to have bigger fishes crowding the tank.

Only other fishes in my tank is cardinals & lemon tetras , 2 harlequins , about 1 dozen tiger/Malayan Shrimps & 2 otos.. so i need another clean up crew for the snails.. but loahces would oversized everything.. or am i wrong?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    blades,

not all loaches grow big... clown loached are a no no in a planted tank cuz they can grow really big. but other loaches like the pakistani loach or dwarf chain loach all stay pretty small, and should be able to be housed in a 2.5 footer quite comfortably. The biggest they grow is 3-4inches (typically).
    Allen

----------------
    On 12/9/2002 11:16:01 AM

However, they can't be compared with a puffer in terms of snail control capabilities... puffers can wipe out a snail infestation in a couple of days... as for my loaches... well they just seem to wait for feeding time.
    ----------------
    Haiyah, you all young people like to rush-rush, wait a few days more also never mind right. Loaches are very greedy pigs, if you keep feeding them, of course they will not go for the snails. You should starve your fish from time to time, your tank will get cleaner (fish eat the algae) and you'll find less snails too!

Everytime we come back from trip our tanks look much cleaner (we do not give them those slow-release food tablets.)

Another thing against puffers: once your snails all got eaten up by puffers, what do you think the puffers will go for next? I've heard soooo many complaints about puffers attacking other fish, eating the tails etc. Some more puffers not very cute (unless you kacau them and make them puff up to look like balloon.)

Loaches on the other hand are lively, colourful, and like to do things that make you laugh (or scream). They also clean up your gravel of leftover food. One bad thing abt loaches is their lower resistence to ich.

mrs budak votes for loaches!!! Loaches forever!!!
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Allen , you know where to get the dwarf chain loaches that you were referring to? would Pet Safari In simei have it or anywhere close by to it? Thanks for all the help...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast