Images
    Country
    Singapore

Redness of Rummynose

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Is it true that Rummynose from Seletar Farmway will not develop very red nose?

Those at Sam Yick and System-Control-&-Engineering have very pronounced red head that extends to the body. Someone in Sam Yick was saying their Rummynose is superbly red cos of S7 that they put in the water. But the S7 is freaking ex.

How true is that?

How about the rummynose sold by Ben in TB? Do they develop red-heads?

How about those sold by Gans, do they develop red-heads?

What do you do to your water to make their head red?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    apparently there're 2 different species of rummy noses
    but they can both have very red noses
    the more mature the rummies are, the redder the noses
    good, mature water will help immensely
    afaik good food (colour enhancing ones in particular) will enhance the red colour too
    ie hai feng foods, brine shrimp, etc etc
    iinw i think spirulina is supposed to help too? no experience with it tho

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there r 2 or rather 3 types of rummynose tetra, one of which is the fake rummynose, with less colouration on the nose/face area.. but not common locally...

the redness or colouration responses to the living condition, in optimum condition the redness will extend till the gill plate... but I have never seen one extending over it before

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you want to see one that redness extends beyond the gill plates, go to the 2 shops I quoted (Note: I don't work there).

But seriously, what maturity of water are we talking about? I have a planted tank.. My cardinal is very 'red and blue'. But the few I got from Farmway has not show their true color after 4 weeks in my planted tanks.

any 'secret' to keep these fishes? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Hi Nicky,

I have 9 rummy-nose tetras from Gan, I believe Gan's are apparently the brilliant rummy-nose (Hemigrammus bleheri).

I do dose S7, but can't tell if the noses are redder because of it. They are definetly more greedy after S7 though.

Basically when the fish are not stressed their noses are pretty red. Also, they tend to be paler at nights when the lights go off or early in the mornings just after the lights come on.

eggz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think those u saw, has redness till the back of the head area rite? so if, I made a mistake it should extend that the back of the head and not the gill plate.. the optimum condition I mentioned refers to the requirement they need, say softwater or PH less than 7, there r also other factors like grouping, food

Feedback Score
    i got my rummynose from far east aquatic. their noses wasn't red at the shop but when i got it home and leave it in my planted for an hr or so and their noses turned very red

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    so far, all my rummynose tetras are from tiong bahru, both shops. i buy only when i see healthy full-bodied ones with at least a little red. i believe their redness will appear when the tank conditions are right, and that they're not stressed out by anything.

i used to dose blackwater but have stopped for many months now. noticed those in my pleco tank (which i consider 'not ideal' cos lesser plants and more 'dirt') have red noses too. [:]

i think it's not 'where' you buy from, but rather 'the type' you buy and the 'condition' in lfs tank as well as your own tank.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Rummy noses come in 3 species....

Petitella georgia
    Hemigrammus rhodostomus
    Hemigrammus bleheri

and most common of them are the last one, the bleheri's. They have a red head that goes back past the gills and these colourations comes out only in good water conditions...if the condition is no good, they will not display so nicely....

read more about it here :

http://www.characin.com/carey/articl...mmynose_2.html
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks like the 7 Rummynose i just got in TamSui Area is the last one named.
    The Red colour extend beyond the gills. Infact there is quite a bold faint red line stretching across the length of the body internally.

Click to My Aquarium Blog
    I Love Corydoras, Planted Tank and Taiwan ( Singaporean )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    petitella georgiae is the false rummynose. has a pinkish to light red head and slimmer than both hemigrammus rummynose species. the white and black stripes on the tails are also more clearer on this species. not common in the trade.

hemigrammus rhodostomus is the rummynose. the red extends to only the head area limited to areas before the gills. common but not as popular as h. bleheri.

hemigrammus bleheri is the brilliant rummynose with the red extending past the gill covers. common in the trade due to it's brilliant red coloration and the extent to which it covers the head area of the fish.

all 3 species display variations in their red coloration according to water quality, food (foods such as bloodworms and colour enhancers will greatly intensify the redness of the head area) and environmental conditions. when stressed their colours will fade. likewise, they are used as a measure of the quality of water in a tank as they are sensitive to changes in the water. []
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    according to a aquarium mag, rummynose are good companions for discus not only because they ae good shoaling fish and can calm the discus, the redness will also indicate warer quality which is very impt to discus. Poor water quality will result in pale red in the nose.

I bought my rummynoses from Ben. they will slim and smal when i first bought them and it's hard to choose as the moment you try to catch them, they turn pale. But they are not grown up and very red. but the redness didn't extend beyond the gill. i guess this is achieved by selective breeding. i only feed my fishes with pellets and flakes. no live food as it'sinconvenient. and water is clear and in good condition i guess as there is no casualty for the last few months.

let me know if anyone knows where to buy those with redness that extend beyond the gill. i don't believe it is acheived by any type of special food.

talking about tetras ... anyone knows where to get nice and big cardinal tetras ? i only want 5 of them. thks.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Corydorus,

Can you tell me where is 'TamSui' Area? I am very keen to get the type of rummynose that you got. Thanks.

my rummy noses which I bought from gan quite a while back have redness extending past the gills and it looks like a long triangle ending in a point. but I don't think my water was exeptionally fantastic throughout this period leh?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    TamSui i think is in Taiwan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes. Is northern part of Taipei. The last North MRT station.
    Very cold this few days. Around 11-15C. Forced to buy a Thermal Heater for my 3Ft today ...[]

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 12/10/2002 6:43:30 PM

talking about tetras ... anyone knows where to get nice and big cardinal tetras ? i only want 5 of them. thks.
    ----------------
    Try GenX, their Cardinals are usually quite fat

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Here's a pic. The pic may not capture all the redness. But the one on the foreground is in indication on how far the red can go.

On their forehead has a patch of slimmering green ... not very clear from the photo ...

link

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/10/2002 6:43:30 PM

----------------
    Gan has pretty big ones... he has all sizes in fact, but the big ones cost more as well...
    Allen