Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy Cryptocoryne melting issue & algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, firstly I find this forum awesome. Have found many useful information.

Beginner here, started my 2ft tank 2 weeks ago because of the whole WFH thing. Last week, planted some Wendtii Green and it was fine up until I changed 1/2 the tank water 3 days ago. I realized yesterday the leaves started to melt, with some having outbreak of black spots and some looked like got eaten.

I understand Crypts does this in stressful environment and they tend to grow back. My questions are:

1. Do I need to cut off all affected leaves? Which is all of it by the looks.
    2. I have snails (pest), tetras, yamato, cherry, japanese rice fish. Does any of these eat Crypt leaves?

Algae also grow very quickly in my aquarium wall because it's near sunlight. How do I effectively get rid of it, other than scraping it off and letting the filter do its work?

Thanks for the advise!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Cryptocoryne melting issue & algae

What substrate are you using and your tank parameters?

No CO2 system I presume?

You might need more faster growing plants to outcompete the algae. And probably a co2 system to help them outcompete. As co2 in water is lesser than in the atmosphere.

I'm no guru as I just started out like 9 months ago.
    But I had my ups and downs and recently just got a co2 system. And the effects were stunning, albeit on the steep side.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cryptocoryne melting issue & algae

I let the leaves melt and my yamato shrimp and mts will eat all the dead stuff in a few days
    None of the livestock you have will eat healthy plants
    You can use a curtain to block the sunlight or have a lot of algae eaters or co2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jetxx View Post
    What substrate are you using and your tank parameters?

No CO2 system I presume?

You might need more faster growing plants to outcompete the algae. And probably a co2 system to help them outcompete. As co2 in water is lesser than in the atmosphere.

I'm no guru as I just started out like 9 months ago.
    But I had my ups and downs and recently just got a co2 system. And the effects were stunning, albeit on the steep side.
    I have a CO2 system but I don't on it whole day. Usually for about 8-9 hrs when my lights are on. I also have fast growing plants like my carpets and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jz1300 View Post
    I let the leaves melt and my yamato shrimp and mts will eat all the dead stuff in a few days
    None of the livestock you have will eat healthy plants
    You can use a curtain to block the sunlight or have a lot of algae eaters or co2
    Forgot to mention, I have 4 Otos and 3 Yamatos that is cleaning my tank. Still the algae grow fast. It's not overwhelming fast, but can be seen coming out fast. I just trimmed away my Lutwigia Repens bottom section as the leaves had hairy algae growing on it, I think.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by carcraze View Post
    I have a CO2 system but I don't on it whole day. Usually for about 8-9 hrs when my lights are on. I also have fast growing plants like my carpets and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.
    Not too sure about my suggestion, but probably you also need to switch on your co2 when the sunlight is shining through. I think natural light is when photosynthesis is at 100%, provided the other components are there.

So even if you have fast growing plants, but without enough co2 and other nutrients, their growth will be slow hence, they cannot outcompete the algae.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jetxx View Post
    Not too sure about my suggestion, but probably you also need to switch on your co2 when the sunlight is shining through. I think natural light is when photosynthesis is at 100%, provided the other components are there.

So even if you have fast growing plants, but without enough co2 and other nutrients, their growth will be slow hence, they cannot outcompete the algae.

Curious, what is the relation between my fast growing plants and algae? If it's faster does it mean it keeps the algae from consuming the balance nutrients around?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes that's the whole idea. You mentioned that your tank is getting sunlight. During this period, is your co2 running? If not, its gonna flat out at some point in time and your plants can't photosynthesize and grow. Its during this period that algae growth takes over because they can do so in low co2 levels. And you saw it yourself, they do grow fast. And of course co2 is not the only limiting factor, you still have to take note of the other nutrients for your plants as well.