Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Looking for fertilizer

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Where can I buy Magnesium sulfate,Potassium nitrate and Potassium sulfate?

How much do they cost?

I wanted to learn how to dose liquid fertilizer.If my planted set up is about 100 lites of water. How do I measure in ppm? Can kindly give an example on 100 lites of water?

I did a search and come across this common word 'NKP'.Does it mean Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus.Does 'NKP' means the three above terms that I am looking for?

Marco mean base fertilizer and Micro mean liquid feritlizer?
    Last edited by plant talk; 22nd Jun 2008 at 17:21.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    To learn about mirco and macro for your plant, read this www.singaporehydroponics.com

NPK can be derived from Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) for Nitrate, Mono Potassium Phosphate-(KH2Po4) for phosphours and Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4)for Potassium. All these except Potassium Nitrate are sold in Nature Aquarium. Nitrate is banned now.

For a 100L tank and if you aim at:-
    N at 30ppm per week, mix 90g in 600ml will give you 10ppm (dose 3x per week)
    P at 3ppm per week, mix 7.2g in 600ml will give you 1ppm (dose 3x per week)
    K at 30ppm per week, mix 117g in 600ml will give you 10ppm (doese 3x per week)

By the way, we normally call mirco as trace and macro are NPK. Base fertiliser is just base fertiliser, mostly with mirco plus marco.
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Potassium nitrate (KNO3) in pure powder/salt form as a source of mainly N and smaller amount of K is now as good as banned in Singapore. It is a good idea to stay away from other sources of nitrogen such as urea and ammonia as these may bring adverse effect even when a slight misuse happened.

Alternatively, you can use the liquified version sold as Aquascaping fertilizer. One product is seachem nitrogen you can buy at many LFS. Add your other DIY PMDD powder and complete it with commercial trace+fe mix (all sorts of brands available).

Another alternative is wonder-gro macro+ which readily contains all N-P-K in one. You can complete it off with the pair wonder-gro micro+ for the trace+fe mix. You can get these from mizuworld online store.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How do you calculate to get 10ppm by mixing 90gram in 600ml? Is there a formula for these?

Mix 90gram in 600ml of what? Is it 600ml of water in container then mix it with 90 gram of P and pour into main tank?

How much do I expect to pay for these pair of fertilizer. I mean the cheaper brand will do.

For a 100 liter tank, how long can it last?

Does high light plant like Ricca and glosso need to dose liquid fertilizer?
    Last edited by benny; 1st Jul 2008 at 13:02. Reason: merge consecutive posts

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1ppm = 1mg/liter

you can use the fertilator from APC, you need to register though.
    http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    shadow, thanks for the link, im currently using fertfriend right now since they are more attune to seachem line of liquid ferts, but thanks for the additional resources.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Forgot to mention. After mixing the x gram in 600ml of water, 10ml will give you 10ppm in the case of N. I was suggesting a pre-mix solution for hassle free and convenience.
    Maurice Cheong

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
    It is a good idea to stay away from other sources of nitrogen such as urea and ammonia as these may bring adverse effect even when a slight misuse happened.

One product is seachem nitrogen you can buy at many LFS.

Another alternative is wonder-gro macro+ which readily contains all N-P-K in one.
    seachem actually contains urea and ammonium as well, just that it acts like fish waste and releases them in small pulses, how true is it, i really dont know. But they did cause BGA growth eventhough i managed to clear them with a blackout.

i believe currently, there is no more pure NO3 available and all liquid ferts termed as nitrogen/potassium nitrate contains traces of urea and ammonia.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    this is what I got from seachem web site:

It provides nitrogen in both the nitrate form and the plant-preferred ammonium form. However, no free ammonia is released because the ammonium in Flourish Nitrogen™ is complexed and unavailable until utilized by the plants.

Not sure what do they mean by no free ammonia is released...? Anyone can explain?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    It would likely mean than the ammonium nitrogen form is chelated, hence it is actually in a locked form which bond is gradually released, freeing base form ammonium when the solution is introduced to tank condition (probably by means of ligand substitution, light catalysis or active plant uptake).

It is not that ammonium/urea nitrogen is evil and a big no for planted tank. It is all about the know how on using (after all they are also supplied fauna in the tank). Urea/ammonium addition is more difficult as they are much more toxic than nitrate, even slightly too much would pose a huge risk to the fauna in the tank, not to mention it sometimes induce algae bloom.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    does it mean that chelated version of amonium will not cause algae bloom?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Does foregound plant like glosso, ricca and HC needs to dose liquid fertilizer or just base fertilizer will do?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by plant talk View Post
    Does foregound plant like glosso, ricca and HC needs to dose liquid fertilizer or just base fertilizer will do?
    They will definitely benefit from liquid fertiliser and in fact ADA specifically recommends Brighty Green Light (a liquid fertiliser) for glosso and riccia.

Riccia doesn't stick roots in soil and as such, base fertiliser has no effect on it.
    Maurice Cheong

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    its one of those questions that seachem havent exactly replied. Really regret not stocking up on pure NO3.

The only way to test is to have 2 tanks, dose one with seachem Nitrogen and lushgro pure NO3 on the other and observe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I just got a bottle of Seachem Nitrogen and the instruction is a bit confusing.

"To target a specific nitrogen increase, dose according to the following formula: 0.25vn=m, where v= volume of tank in gallons*, n=desired nitrogen increase (if using a “nitrate equivalent” value for “n” then use a factor of 0.05 instead of 0.25 in the formula) and m=volume of product to use in mL. For example to raise 20 gallons* by 0.20 mg/L nitrogen you would use: 0.25*20*0.20=1 mL."

For my case of 100 lites of water, how many mL should I dose to get 10ppm?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Just use the fertfriend and use an excel to formulate for a 100L capacity. It will show you the required dosage per week. But first you have to self determine which NPK PPM you intend to hit first.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    Just use the fertfriend and use an excel to formulate for a 100L capacity. It will show you the required dosage per week. But first you have to self determine which NPK PPM you intend to hit first.
    For Seachem N, K and supplement.Do I need to dose 30ppm per week?Can it be lesser?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you are following Estimate Index, your target ppm are:

NO3 5 - 30 ppm
    K+ 10 -30 ppm
    PO4 1 - 2 ppm
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    KNO3, i am targetting 20ppm per week, with K at around the same level, but do note that seachem contains K as well, same goes for seachem equilibrium, so if you dose from seachem K 20ppm, you could be well above the target.

Establish for you tank what you want to target first, taking into considerations the plants you have and the uptake rate for them.

I intend to cut down on my dosing as I only have hairgrass and mosses and excess dosage seems to induce more algae than actual plant growth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast