Country
    Singapore

buying plants from bangkok

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i might be going there this friday...
    would like to check from u guys how to buy plants from there...
    maybe quote some prices?
    how to carry keeping them alive?
    budak uses sacks?
    won't they dry up?
    can i get christmas moss from there?
    cheap?
    thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The place to get plants is Chatuchack the so-called weekend market (but also open on weekdays). Go there and search around the fish/pets section, which is alone probably twice as large as the whole Geylang Serai market.

No difference in buying: just use baht instead of S$. Because the price is already damn cheap, I prefer not to bargain for individual plants and ask for a round-off for the total sum instead (e.g. B1750 to B1500).

I haven't seen Christmas moss there, but Java moss is fairly abundant. You can get stuff like Bolbitis and nice water lilies/crypts/echinodorus fairly cheap too.

For storage, if you are going back the same day, you can just pack the plants damp in airtight plastic bags in your check-in or carry-on bags. If you need to wait a few days like me sometimes, I open the plastic bags, fill in some water and leave them in the hotel bathroom. The day you leave Thailand, drain out the water, wrap the plants in damp newspaper or other paper, and repack in the bags.

Customs so far no problem, even when they open and see. But don't bring in soil-potted plants. Fish I have no experience.

Bring a digital camera and post the pictures please. And watch out for the pickpockets.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ryan

FYI, the fish/aquarium section that Budak's talking about is at Jatuchap Plaza, just next to the Chatuchap Weekend Market. It is open daily, unlike the CWM.

There are at least 6 stalls selling plants only, and the varieties are great. Each stock is about 10baht, approx S$0.40. The rest of the stalls sell exotic marine fish, RTG, cichlids, goldfish+++, accessories. Forget about getting Eheim filters there. Its is twice the price there.

There's a new place, 7 days Plaza, across Jatuchap. Very new and barely 10 stalls are open for business. I think it will be the place for fish stuff in a few months time.

Cheers.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My apology.

The correct name should be Jatujak Plaza Open Market (7 days market). Entrance to this plaza is from Kampangpetch 2 Rd.

I'm not sure if this is the same market as Budak visited cause it is not within Chatuchak Market. The one I visited was this.

Hope I didn't confuse anyone who wish to visit Bangkok.

Good bargains:
    Sera Test Kits ~ avg. $8
    Plants ~ $0.40
    TetraBits ~ $19 largest size
    UVC 15W ~ $90
    Cichlids ~ $0.40
    many more....

Cheers
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think Chatuchak and Jatujak refer to the same place, just different English spelling of the Thai name.
    If going by Skytrain (MRT), take the North line to Mo Chit station, which is just beside the market.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok thanks guys...
    sigh[] []
    dad couldn't get the tickets!
    so sad...
    now i'll have to buy my plants on this lousy island...
    no stock for xmas moss!
    can u imagine! i've been waiting for the stupid plant for over a month...
    sheesh...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hoi! Which island are you calling lousy?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah, if the island leaves you, you'll be underwater now! []

xmas moss - you've tried 'that fish & pet place', 'ah pek's', 'petmart', 'genx', 'c328' already? thought xmas moss is easier to get than java moss...
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    xmas moss - you've tried 'that fish & pet place', 'ah pek's', 'petmart', 'genx', 'c328' already? thought xmas moss is easier to get than java moss...
    ----------------
    agree with Coryfav. xmas moss is the 'in' thing so should be easier to get than java moss. if not wrong, nature aquarium should have.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    xmas moss petmart got quite alot!!!!!!!!!!! but then.. not really fresh.. $5 a pack

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hello everyone,

are you all sure petmart sells xmass moss? are you all referring to those emergents that they sell? i grew them before and they don't look like xmass moss. they used to grow that moss in their display tanks and it isn't xmass moss for sure.

Wahboy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah tried most of them,,, if i didn't go down myself i at least asked around...
    managed to get $13 worth of xmas moss from nature and the $5 bag from petmart but i'm not so sure the petmart ones are xmas moss so i'm not planting them in my 4 ft... thanks wahboy for the pointer too...
    sigh...
    thats 5 bucks wasted...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ryan,

You still got some kind of moss, right? I don't think it's wasted. Just looks different that's all.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Will you have problem getting through Singapore customs ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have been to the Chatuchak LFS. I find that there are no plants there that I cannot find here in Singapore. I believe I can find more variety here than most other countries.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    guys i'm off to bangkok now!!!
    typing this at the airport!!!
    going fish and plant shopping...
    wish me luck finding the place!
    no digicam so can't take pics though...
    *sigh*
    []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    true xmas moss can be found only at gen x and that fish and pet place (I think).

if you get from NA and it comes off the styrofoam,that's willow moss/taiwan moss. , if its trimmings from his tank, then it might be xmas moss.
    (heisenberg/petmart= taiwan/willow moss)

C328 sells moss as well, but I haven't taken a close look at it but I think its java.

--
    correct me if I'm wrong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/15/2003 12:54:47 PM

true xmas moss can be found only at gen x and that fish and pet place (I think).

if you get from NA and it comes off the styrofoam,that's willow moss/taiwan moss. , if its trimmings from his tank, then it might be xmas moss.
    (heisenberg/petmart= taiwan/willow moss)

C328 sells moss as well, but I haven't taken a close look at it but I think its java.

--
    correct me if I'm wrong
    ----------------
    Mmm ... I got mine from Far East Aquatics 2 mths ago. Karin (owner) plucked them out of her huge tank for me. I know it's a bit too much to ask but does any1 whether what she sold me are xmas moss?
    ThEoDoRe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can't tell cos I never far east aq b4, christmas moss is bigger than willow/taiwan.

basically one is reminiscent of a christmas tree and the other of a willow tree. haha

hi ,

Went to bangkok,chachuchat weekend market recently. Quite surprise, they have many varieties of plants. The much talked about Downoi is selling for B500 or S$22.Bought a few stalk for B400 each.They also sell homemade liquid fertiliser,co2,etc.

Thought of sharing some pictures here.
    Go to http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/petlovers2116 to see the plants and some "hot" stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast