Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Im new here! My first Question.

Feedback Score

Im new here! My first Question.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I joined this forum as i want to get advise from those Aquaplants lover out there.

I want to ask but please note that i have never set up a planted tank before and i dont know what or each plant name.

So my plan now is to get a 3ft tank for my plant tank but before that i want o decorate my present 3ft tank first which are currently unused/unoccupant.

So. now i want to ask, i have a dolphin 708 filter but the powerhead seems to big and take much space in my tank.. so what filter can i use for my planted tanks.. which just have 1 small pipe to suck up water. Can i modify the dolphin filter or shd i buy a new OH filter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi SS

overhead filters are best for fish only tank where the downward flowing of the water creates too much surface agitation and loss precious CO2 which is needed by plants. second the flow rate cannot be actually control and this would make a perticular area of the tank hostile to most plants.

consider a external canister filter.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Agree with David, OH filters are a no no for planted tanks.

A good proven filter would be Eheim which alot of aquarist uses. Get a bigger one which your budget can afford to maximize filtration. Also if you decide to upgrade your tank, it can be reused for your bigger tank. I personally like the Eheim II proffesional series. Give it some conderation.......
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    actually if it is mostly plants and hardly any fish, don't even need a filter.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica