Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ID: Can you identify this fish? - Oxyeleotris marmorata

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I caught this fish at little guiling in Singapore...pretty small fish...anyone can identify it?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    is it a knight goby?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    juvenile Oxyeleotris marmorata aka soon hock
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    soon hock??

YUM YUM! Where you catch? i want to go cook
    Last edited by Quixotic; 30th Jun 2008 at 03:14. Reason: SMS lingo: 'u'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

Caught at Little Guilin near bukit gombak mrt....guess it will be flodded with you guys this weekend siah...my big mouth...haa...

Good things must share

Oh gosh...researched and found out that they eat small fishes arhh...pull out of my tank immediately!! all my guppies accounted for... Heng ah..

Ok, next...they are placed in my freshwater lobster tank (yabby or crayfish) they pray small stationary fish...at the bottom...hmm seems like they are natural enemy...ARGhh...gosh...

Maybe I need another tank!!arghh...I got like 3 tanks already! 1 shrimps...1 guppies/cory/betta/endless?/swordtail/neon tetra and the last tank is freshwater lobster/soon hock...

But my lobster eat fish too! sucks...maybe buy some other things for them to feed...hmmm
    Last edited by Quixotic; 30th Jun 2008 at 03:15. Reason: Merge posts

Feedback Score
    Images
    I used to keep a few of this fish too (wild caught in Jurong lake)... it need a place to hide/ambush during the day, I used a tube for this purpose.

It's most active period is after dark/light off, you can see they hover in mid water aiming at the prey (shrimp and/or feeder fish). It very interesting to observe this feeding act and they're extremely fast when striking.

For those who are interested to catch them... it very simple. Just use a big net (dia > 40cm) and to scope along the edge of the river/lake. Although mostly juvenile are caught this way, my biggest was about 1kg ... oops... trade secret revealed!

Happy hunting!
    The past is HISTORY... the future is MYSTERY

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

What you feed these monster? I caught many small shrimps also I put them in the same tank as this soon hock! haha They jump out of the tank at every opportunities! haha

I learn your secret last time when I saw an uncle did that! Cool method!

Hi,

thi is Heiko Bleher and I just wanted to tell you all: this fish is (or will be) a monster of 30 up to 45 cm in length and will swallow all most all fishes even his (almost)own size. I have collected (almost)throughout the Indo-Pazific, it is a survivor and live in the smallest hole (waiting for prey) for along time.

Not good for an ordinary aquarium...
    All the best from a collector – just collected lots of Gopies in Romania - see
    www.aquapress-bleher.com

best regards

Heiko Bleher
    Best regards,
    Heiko Bleher

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    This is a quite common food fish in our region. in fact, it is even grown on fish farms in singapore.

Its an opportunistic feeder and probably will eat anything that it can catch.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my lobster seems to be trying hard to escape daily...now even more so...with more then 5 soon hocks inside...haha... but all are small soon hocks...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow, Heiko Bleher was here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks to a buddy in another forum...sold me a 4 very big Oxyeleotris marmorata (Soon Hocks) now they are happily in my Soon Hock Tank...waiting for Chinese New Year....woops!

Hi,

thanks for the comments. For those who do not know: just go to www.aquapress-bleher.com or to www.aqua-aquapress.com

And I wanted to thank the tetrafreak and also mention some of the smallest gobies I found in the Amazon - see under Expeditions and Aracá.

All the very best, I am just in a few hours leaving again - after 3 lectures sin Canada last weekend - to a couple of field trips into remote Amazon regions.

Heiko Bleher
    Best regards,
    Heiko Bleher

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ohhh Heiko Bleher!! Thanks for your input for the fish! Yes they eat plenty of fish...not quite responsive at times.

It's an honor to see here

Feedback Score
    They grow really really really slow.. and i think your tank of 4 soon hocks need some hiding place.. otherwise its going to be stressed out and fighting may occur mate
    Last edited by Quixotic; 9th Aug 2008 at 17:44. Reason: SMS lingo: 'ur'
    Thanks & Regards,
    Trevor

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No need to worry....because they are dead!! ARHHHHHH left one soon hock...haiz. They are poor hunters...sucks!!! Put in live feeder fish took so long to catch them...until feeder fish grows up!!! Arhhh...
    Last edited by Quixotic; 11th Aug 2008 at 02:46. Reason: Please start a new thread in the correct forums regarding your freebies, thanks!

Feedback Score
    i think they died of stress lah.. no hiding place... so cramp in there.. etc etc..

poor hunter? I beg to differ... you should watch them hunt for their prey... FAST and SWIFT!
    Last edited by Quixotic; 12th Aug 2008 at 01:33. Reason: Please kindly refrain from SMS abbreviations, thanks!
    Thanks & Regards,
    Trevor

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Soon hocks need space and hiding areas, they are actually territorial. pH is not really an issue, since they evovled from estuarine conditions. Also mollies are really bad feeder IMHO, they crap alot alot and foul the water fast.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    i think they died of stress lah.. no hiding place... so cramp in there.. etc etc..

poor hunter? I beg to differ... you should watch them hunt for their prey... FAST and SWIFT!

I shared the same sentiment... they're extremely efficient hunter.
    Probably the lack of hiding space handicapped their element of surprise for their hunt and usually hunts after lights off.
    The past is HISTORY... the future is MYSTERY

Feedback Score
    If i`ve a BIG BIG Tank.. I`d keep Soonhocks and Tomans and Peacock Bass!... Create a tank with wildlife just like our reservoirs.. LOL.. words from a Fishing Fanatic.. kekeke
    Thanks & Regards,
    Trevor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast