Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    One important factor which you did not mention, is how much of substrate you used for the volume of water. Was it consistent among the test specimens? As I believe the amount of substrate used per volume of water will affect the results, it'll be fairer to keep the ratio constant.

Thank you so much for the information and hard work!! Well done!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    amazing!! Try the volcanic soil from Cold Storage. I have 4 tanks on them and the pH reading for them hovers around 5 to 6.5. It is a very wide range. For my biggest tank(4 x 1.5 x 1.5@Montfort) thus far, the plants are responding very well to the soil. Plenty of crypt inside.

I have also a 2 ft on the volcanic soil.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    amazing!! Try the volcanic soil from Cold Storage. I have 4 tanks on them and the pH reading for them hovers around 5 to 6.5. It is a very wide range. For my biggest tank(4 x 1.5 x 1.5@Montfort) thus far, the plants are responding very well to the soil. Plenty of crypt inside.

I have also a 2 ft on the volcanic soil.
    Are they safe for fish keeping too? And most importantly how much are they selling per kg? Can't understand what you mention about pH reading for them hovers around 5 to 6.5.
    The pH is not fix at certain levels?
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
    Are they safe for fish keeping too? And most importantly how much are they selling per kg? Can't understand what you mention about pH reading for them hovers around 5 to 6.5.
    The pH is not fix at certain levels?

they are safe. I have bred rams using those. 5 kg for 2 bucks.
    The pH will mostly stay around 5.5. However different pack/tankk has diffferent reading.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    they are safe. I have bred rams using those. 5 kg for 2 bucks.
    The pH will mostly stay around 5.5. However different pack/tankk has diffferent reading.
    Are you using which size tank to measure the pH?
    Maybe you can guide us along.. Go for a cheaper soil...!
    Consider 5kg for $2 no other soil can challenge the price..!
    10kg only $4 Wahahaaaa
    Thanks for sharing this great deal..!
    Cheers,
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif"Ben"http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...c/progress.gif
    Life is all about patience & perseverance,
    Failure is just another new beginning

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
    Are you using which size tank to measure the pH?
    Maybe you can guide us along.. Go for a cheaper soil...!
    Consider 5kg for $2 no other soil can challenge the price..!
    10kg only $4 Wahahaaaa
    Thanks for sharing this great deal..!
    I have used the soil for tanks 2 ft to 6 ft. What explains for the difference in pH i am npt very sure. But the lowest i have recorded is for my 2 ft. pH=5.6.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    very informative! but there might be inaccuracy due to tannins which affected the water.

maybe a pH test pen could have better determine the water.

otherwise, maybe you can give me a small amount of each of the test samples and i can make use of the analytical pH meter in my lab if im free

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tested Ocean Free brand Super Pro Peat Granules today after soaking some in distilled water for a week. Result: pH 4.0 - 4.5 as expected......

See post number 11 for summary.
    Last edited by illumbomb; 13th Dec 2008 at 15:20.

Feedback Score
    42 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore
    guys have a question , do you all place the peat direct into your filter >?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The peat usually comes with a filter net. Just place the net with the peat in the filter. For me, I placed a layer of it under the substrate.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The peat I bought does't come with a net, has to buy the net separately. I place them in the sump tank one section before the pump is located. 4x2x2 sump tank with 500grams of sera peat can only achieved lowest 6.4ph so far.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is that low enough for your liking? I believe you can put more peat to decrease it further if you need. But as time goes by (usually around 3 months), the pH lowering capability will decrease, hence you will need to replace the peat. Also take note that our tap water is neutral pH, or slightly alkaline, so frequent water changes will increase the pH slowly after time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I am looking for one that can sustain PH value of 6. Any good recommendation?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by khtee View Post
    I am looking for one that can sustain PH value of 6. Any good recommendation?
    If cost is not of an issue, try ADA Aficana Aqua Soil, it is stated on their website that the pH is about 5.9 (when added to their tap water of pH 7.6) which is very close to the 6 you are trying to achieve. You have probably have to try out the different type of water to be used though (i.e. pure tap water or mixed with some rain water / distilled water / RO water / etc???).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumbomb View Post
    If cost is not of an issue, try ADA Aficana Aqua Soil, it is stated on their website that the pH is about 5.9 (when added to their tap water of pH 7.6) which is very close to the 6 you are trying to achieve. You have probably have to try out the different type of water to be used though (i.e. pure tap water or mixed with some rain water / distilled water / RO water / etc???).
    I already have dennerle's substrate with in the planted tank with discus. Currently I am using Seachem Discus Buffer to lower it to 5.8. Hope to get a constant PH 6.0 without adding the Discus Buffer.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by gemo82 View Post
    Is that low enough for your liking? I believe you can put more peat to decrease it further if you need. But as time goes by (usually around 3 months), the pH lowering capability will decrease, hence you will need to replace the peat. Also take note that our tap water is neutral pH, or slightly alkaline, so frequent water changes will increase the pH slowly after time.
    Not sure how much peats needed for lower ph, just a guide for a 4x2x2ft sump tank with 500grams of black peat. As ph 6.4 is good enough for my altums,didn't try further. Currently maintaining with ketapang leaves, as its free. Sera black peats cost $10.80/500grams.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Some new tests done today:

First Layer Pure Laterite: pH 8.8

ADA Amazonia II: pH 6.2

Volcanic Rock: pH 7.2

See post number 11 for summary.
    Last edited by illumbomb; 24th Jan 2009 at 18:29.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada
    Illumbomb! I was just wondering if you've ever tried LIVE sphagnum peat moss as a ph altering agent? Something about the live plant releasing + charged ions into the water, causing it to drop in ph supposedly. I'm wondering if that would be better - without the rotting of the peat, possible yellowing of the water etc, etc...

ZANE.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Zane,

Sigh, I tried to buy some live sphagnum moss from GCS forum by including my name in the mass order list but somehow when they obtained the moss and distributed it, they started another thread which I missed completely until the distribution ended! Anyway, luckily Jinhui said he would sell me some small portion to try, will let you know the result soon.

Regards,
    T S Wang

Feedback Score
    Country
    Canada
    Ah cool. If you're not able to get any - one guy in GCS said he can give me some with a few helmet orchids I'm buying from him - depending on how much I get, I can share some with you. Only thing is he wont be back in Singapore until sometime in February so I have to wait. I'll let you know if I'm able to get my hands on any.

Z.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast