Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter Plants!

Feedback Score

Filter Plants!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have 2ft plastic tanks and Dolphin 708 Overhead filter. But people say i cant use overhead as the water rate is so fast and the water down fall will distract the base.

So i want to ask can i use the TOP FILTRATION like the one a boxes on top of aquarium. so can i use that. i cant buy eheim because it is expensive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ehh
    aren't the two one and the same?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do not use those overhead filter as they create splashing through the return line which will cause large CO2 loss...(You need CO2..not waste them). If ehiem external canister filters are too expensive for you..you can try those internal stick on types.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Top filter may not work not only because of flowrate but also it introduce much air/O2 into the water which will displace the co2 you put in. There is china ro taiwan made canister filter which cost much less or you can also use internal filter. Internal filter cost between $20 to $40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The other problem is that the OH filter will take up valuable space for lights that your tank needs.

If you still want to use the OH filter, try to connect a pipe at the outlet so that the water does not free-fall into the tank. Also add an elbow so that the water exits the pipe across the surface and not downwards.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Im going to connect elbow at the outlet so that the water downfall will release on the surface of water.

And one more thing.. what light should i buy? I have dolphin light now.. can i replace the fluorecent only so i can use the cover? My light now currently 20w. I dont think that enough, can you tell me how many watts should i buy?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Release at the surface? I don't get what you mean...its better to release under the water surface so as not to cause any turbulence which will cause much CO2 loss. For the lights, you should get PLs..(need to change the ballast as yours are unsuitable..maybe can drop by nature and get Chan to help. Does your one come with hood? If yes then will have to bring it down to see whether he can mod for you or not.)
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    using an overhead filter is not a definite no. it's just not recommended due to reasons given earlier.

if you have no choice but stuck with overhead filter, you need to do something to the outlet pipe. extend the outlet pipe so that the water returns below the surface. using an elbow is good as it helps to circulate water better. else plug the end of the pipe and make some cuts on the pipe below water surface. end result you should see is minimal surface agitation.

at the inlet side, try to smoothen the water flow so that there is no splashing there. you can put filter floss so that the water flows into the floss. this should smoothen the flow.

for light, try with 36w first. you do not have much room to add lights due to space taken by the overhead filter.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Here's a picture ive' planned on my 2ft setup. Can you please click on the link and tell me is this what you mean? (on where the elbow to be connected)

http://arofanatics.com/members/slapshock/likethis/ <-- copy this URL

And i want to ask how do i get rid of the powerhead? It is too big and waste my precious space in tank.. if there and alternative replacing the power head? where i can get a slim pipe to suck the water in?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    instead of the very expensive canister filters,
    try the Eheim Liberty 100 or 150 ($30-40). It's an outside hanging filter,but hangs from the side, not the top. In my experience, the liberty doesn't really affect CO2 loss too much.
    Your current setup takes up too much space, and your OH filter doesn't give enough space for the lighting system a planted tank needs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    SlapShock,

Yeah, what you drew is what we have in mind.

However... if you do replace the powerhead, you might as well buy a small internal filter to replace it and remove the OH filter completely. There are 2 I would recommend:
    - Eheim 1006 Internal Filter
    - Eden 316 Internal Filter (remember to remove the carbon pellets!)
    Note: this is only if you intend to plant moderately or heavily and have a low fish-load.

Feedback Score
    so there's no other way? i need to buy a new filter rite?

and.. so i need to use a air pump for the eheim internal filter? or it already included and just need to plug in to power socket?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would strongly suggest getting a internal filter if budget is a constraint. I had good results with the Eden internal filter which rather small in size and easily be hidden. The flow is not to strong and IMO, ideal for planted tanks. However, it does require regular cleaning as it gets choked pretty fast.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Eheim filters, whether outside hanging or internal, are all self-powered. Just install and plug in. It will save you a whole lotta trouble in the long run compared with the OH filters.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 12/10/2002 3:17:24 PM

so there's no other way? i need to buy a new filter rite?

and.. so i need to use a air pump for the eheim internal filter? or it already included and just need to plug in to power socket?
    ----------------

If you intended to go for planted tanks, then u do not need any air pumps for your tank other than night time.

As for overhead filter, I have one suggestion is that you stuff some filter cotton inside the inlet hole, then u install a rainbar at the outlet side below water surface to reduce flow rate. Increase the bubble rate of CO2 to a higher level but still tolerable to your fishes. This is how I started my planted tank when I was on tight budget. Hope it helps u.

If you are keen on external canister and can't afford an eheim, I suggest you buy an Atman canister and replace the media with eheim ones. Atman can be said to be almost the same as eheim except that the price is much more cheaper.
    Regards,
    Brigitte

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, got the following suggestions if die die you have to use a overhead filter.
    To prevent excessive CO2 loss, i only "ON" the overhead filter at nite when i am going to sleep and "OFF" it when i goes to work in the morning.

I can see from your picture that the water is gushing down. I believe this is happening because the plastic piece that extends from the box is not fully covering the hole which you slot it in. You can actually use a pen knife to scrape off some of the plastic so that it fit nicely. Use a small weight to keep the plastic from floating up.

As for the returning water, i stick another extension to lower it below the water level before placing the elbow. after which i extends it longer with another plastic piece. This will reduce the force of the returning water as well. Try turning the outlet to face the back of the tank so that the plants you will be planting will not be affected by the current. The theory here is that the longer the extension, the smaller will be the force of the returning water but uglier of course.

Luckily my overhead filter has the pump out of the water so i dont have the ugly thing in the tank. Nothing much can be done on that.When i take pictures, i will remove the overhead filter first.

So far, my plants are doing well.
    My two cents worth.

Feedback Score
    1. Actually, I want to use my Overhead Filter but it seems that the Eheim Internal filter is on my budget and overhead will take space for me to put the PL lights, so i will get one.

2. I'v visited Eheim website and i see Eheim Liberty has three choices 100/150/200 which of these should i choose and what a different between them?

3. Im gonna buy PL lights because i want to plant plants such as riccia and other demanding plants so how much is the minimum Watts should I use?

(if possible can estimate me the price for the eheim liberty adn pl lights)

4. Can tell me where to get these stuff? Please not imin Woodlands if there any nearer it would be good and easy for me.

[note that im using five plan 2' plastic tank] i heard that PL lights can burn plastic cover if it too hot? Is it true?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2. Liberty is not an internal... it's a overhang filter. Difference btw the 3 are size and number of filter media. Check the packaging to see what size tanks they are recommended for. I still recommend the Ehiem 1006 or the Eden 316 before the Liberty.

3. You should aim for 3Watts per US Gallon. Take you tank dimensions in cm, multiply together, divide by 3800 to get estimated gallons. Remember to exclude the substrate from the height to get your actual water volume instead of total tank capacity.

4. You didn't tell us where you live leh. Anyway, try Nature Aquarium, Petmart, Clementi Aquarium and Florist. There addresses are on the LFS list (see the topmost menu bar).

5. Errr, just don't use the plastic cover. Besides, it will block some of the light, especially if its got water stains, etc.

Feedback Score
    How much does Eheim 1006 cost and can you give more detail and pics or any website for this filter?

I live in Woodlands, so far formt he above.

My tank is standard 2ft tank. So how many watts should i buy? Pls or FLs

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have a 2ft cube-link tank (rounded edge, full cover with OH filter and light and matching cabinet). Been using the OH since I got the tank more than a yr ago. What I like about the OH filter is it it easy to change and monitor the filter medium and the large surface encourage useful bacteria growth. And it looks nice fully covered when I have guests. Like a black TV displaying fish and plants. The downside is it takes up space and limit the number of lights I can add and trap heat. I overcame the lighting problem by changing one of the 20W FL to a 36W PL thus giving me 56W of light. I put in a DC fan at one of the opening to cool the tank. As for CO2 escapting, I top up until about 2 cm below the edge (looks nicer also) so that the water does not come splashing down. It has a built in L-shape elbow. But I still find the surface water is flowing too fast.

If you light and OH filter are not those tank matching type, then I would suggest like the others ... get rid of the OH and replace with a simple internal filter with powerhead and get another light set. Problem solved. Go tp Nature to convert or get new light set. also, the open water surface will cool the tank better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast