Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Yamato shrimp climbing out of water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Yamato shrimp climbing out of water?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This morning my groggy wife accidentally stepped onto something squishy on the floor and got all disgusted for the longest time.

Later on I found out that it was a yamato shrimp. It was curled up, but the body was crystal clear like any healthy shrimps should be. But it was also very dead.

Looks like it might have actually climbed out and decided to do a little walk-around. The tank is a 1 feet cube scaped with rock formation which sticks out of water.

Do these guys do this often? How long can they survive out of water?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Is there any fishes in your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Nope, shrimps only.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i have yamato trying to climb up the hang on filter out put area before.. they are known to walk on land..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    maybe there are issues with the water quality?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    it might be the sudden swiching off the lights that caused the shrimp to jump out at night. It could also be the case of water parameters that motivates the yamato to 'explore' out of the tank.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    btw, if it is really water parameters, unless you do something, you might see more walking shrimps....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Weird thing is, the apple snails are thriving. It started out as 2 and now they've multiplied.

Also, the hardness of water in this tank is 1 degrees. Is that too soft for shrimps?

PH is 6.5

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the apple snails are more hardy then the yamato.i guess it could be the ph level...could it be a shock for them when you introduce them in?or change in ph while changing water?
    Getting into Fishy Business

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yesterday I caught some cherry shrimps snacking on bits of a root fertilizer ball which they managed to somehow dig out form substrate (don't ask me how they did it - it's inserted centimetres deep). This morning I found a couple of dead ones but I don't know if it's from the stuff or what.

Stupid animals.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Normally shrimps are more sensitive to water parameters. Need to check out your water parameters if there are more casualties.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Regarding the cherry shrimps, I think they were mostly unhealthy at the LFS, to begin with. There are times when I go there and see dozens of dead ones being feasted upon by the survivors. Other times, most of them are opaque, which is not a good sign.

The ones that survived the first week in that tank will usually thrive and continue to molt. Right now all my females are ready to carry eggs.

Despite this a couple of them seem to enjoy climbing up the rock, sticking their head out of water against the water output. It's always the same ones (can recognize their markings) but they too seem to be doing alright.

There are no more yamatos in that tank- they were too big anyways.

Recently added 8 bee shrimps in it, and 3 died within the first week (they were all acclimatized over two hours in a separate bucket using the tank water). The survivors are molting and grazing and molting. Their colours are healthy too.

Again, sourced from the same LFS. Guess they are no experts in keeping shrimps healthy, or the stock they received are tarnished or somehow have week genes?