Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Discus Finally!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    OK I finally got some discus last night... (can you hear me laughing with glee?!?![] [] ) actually I think I got too many and if all goes well, I'll probably have to give away a couple in a few months time...

OK so now I have 6 snakeskins and 2 turqoise in my tank... and they aren't small either... roughly 3-4 inches from tip to tail. They are all huddling in one corner of my tank, and basically all their stress bars are showing and the color is mostly dull... so here are my questions

1. Is this normal?
    2. If it is, how long can I expect this to last before they acclimatize?
    3. Is there anything I can do to help them acclimatize?
    4. They still aren't eating... previous owner fed them a diet of beef heart and bloodworms... they don't seem to be touching the tetra bits... any advice?
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Allen, its perfectly normal for them to act the way they are right now in yr tank. give them a while before they have the courage to move around and explore. luckily for you, u have the numbers, therefore, shldnt be long before u see them swimming around.. but heavy traffic areas in yr house shld be the last place u want to put them into.

anyway, I think u shld start feeding them with what they are used to, then slowly change them to feed on the tetrabits

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you will to give away your discus, please let me know. I am interested to adopt your discus. 90606063

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Jordon,

I won't be giving away the discus anytime soon. However, once they start growing and my NO3 levels start increasing, I may choose to give a couple away to balance out my bioload with my plantload.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Allen, congratulations on your purchases!
    Just wanna share my experience:

1. Is this normal?
    This is very normal. This is a normal reaction when the discus feels threatened or stress. This can happen when they are introduced into a new environment, when new discus are introduced into their tank and even when fellow discus dies.

2. If it is, how long can I expect this to last before they acclimatize?
    Can range from 3 days to 3 weeks. Anything more will be detrimental to the discus' health as they also feed very little during this period. They also become 'jumpy' and may leap out of the tank at the slightest provocation, so watch out.

3. Is there anything I can do to help them acclimatize?
    Do not overfeed during this period. Change water regularly. Just give them some time, most discus get over it themselves.

4. They still aren't eating... previous owner fed them a diet of beef heart and bloodworms... they don't seem to be touching the tetra bits... any advice?

I assume your discus are eating then. To switch diet, I adopt the 'want to eat, eat. Don't want to eat, swa' methodology. When they are hungry enough, they eat everything.

Btw, don't neglect your plants while you enjoy the beauty of the fish.

----------------
    [/quote]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I realize that the discus are getting "shocked" each morning when my lights come on... Is it recommended that I reduce my lights for now? Or should I leave things be and "force" them to acclimatize?
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/12/2002 3:13:15 PM

I realize that the discus are getting "shocked" each morning when my lights come on... Is it recommended that I reduce my lights for now? Or should I leave things be and "force" them to acclimatize?
    ----------------
    In the beginning, my discus get 'shocked' everytime the lights came on and everytime I put my hands into the tank to do pruning. They usually recover within the minute. Recently, they have become nonchalant of the lights although 'hand in tank' still shock them. Thus, I'm not too worried that the occasional shocks will affect them too much. They will get used to them shortly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Came home tonight and was pleasantly surprised to see the discus taking the "group tour" of the tank... hehe and for once all the cardinals were sticking near the back (in fear)... then again you would be scared to if something 50x your size came towards you.

Unfortunately, when came feeding time they all siam again (once I came near)
    Allen