Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Thread Algae

Feedback Score

Thread Algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, is this thread algae? I already have 2 yamato and 3 otos but they dun seem to be eating this so I am wondering will a couple of SAE be able to eliminate this?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try manual removing.
    anyway, don't ever add SAE into your tank with moss.
    SAE is a good moss eater..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
    try manual removing.
    anyway, don't ever add SAE into your tank with moss.
    SAE is a good moss eater..
    thanks for the advice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    2 yamato to consume that hair algae? I think we have to work something on the nutrient balance first. Algae eater cannot eradicate the problem. You might want to dump in even more yamato(30-50), do a 3 days black out. Adjust your nutrients from there.

Remember to remove the yamato if not they will start dropping like flies. If i'm not wrong your Phosphate might be a tad too high. I had that problem too last time & i hated it.

Cheers!
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benetay View Post
    I think we have to work something on the nutrient balance first. Algae eater cannot eradicate the problem. do a 3 days black out. Adjust your nutrients from there.
    Cheers!
    I agree, adjusting your fert regime will resolve this problem in the long run. Evo is right on sae, they are moss eaters.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    I agree, adjusting your fert regime will resolve this problem in the long run. Evo is right on sae, they are moss eaters.
    I was dosing ADA K Brighty and Green shade every other day when topping up water, although I did dose half the recommended dosage.

Will cut down on fert dosing for the time being and have gotten a few more yamatos on Sat so hopefully there will be some reduction in the algae.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    actually, im surprised you are having algae issues since from the photo in your initial post, you tank looks quite balance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you use CO2, focus more on it and in tank mixing rather than nutrients so much since it is easy to rule out via dosing in excess.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I agreed with Peter. If you have CO2 but poor circulation, even if you get it solve now you'll still have algae come back again and again, bear in mind that the root to algae problem is still not solve yet.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Torque, Peter, Blue

Thanks, to be honest I have a feeling my co2 are not circulated well as they as I have a rainbar and the co2 tube are running directly under, was thinking of removing the rainbar and just have the water outlet jetting out and pushing the co2 around the tank.

On the algae issue after I increase the yamatos from 2 to 4 I notice a sharp drop in the algae, I can safely say the yamato are indeed performing the task diligently.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, regarding SAE being moss eaters, i would like to testify against it. i have 3 SAES in my 2 feet tank, as far as i know they leave my java moss alone..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    oh for me i think the best short to long term solution to your algae problem would be doubling your CO2 output, minimizing fertiliser dosing and keeping your light at 8 hours or less a day. This would give your plants an edge against the algae and allow your plants to out compete the algae. Add that with your SAEs OTTOs and shrimps eating out your algae, the algae problem should be solved in a few weeks.. seniors pls correct me if im wrong.. good luck mercuryscio

Feedback Score
    Just taken, algae almost gone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by torque6 View Post
    actually, im surprised you are having algae issues since from the photo in your initial post, you tank looks quite balance.
    Torque I was thinking about wat you said about the tank being balance, by that do you mean that I have ample plants taking in the nutrients to prevent the growth of algae?

This is a pix of my tank, apologies for the blurry camera hp quality.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, wonder what are the good SAEs that are effective in getting rid of thread algae ? I seems to have a perennial problem with thread algae.

Many thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by mercuryscio View Post
    Just taken, algae almost gone.

I can see a berried shrimp. Did you get to see shrimplet? By the way, ADA K Brighty and Green shade that you used, is it harmless to shrimp?

Feedback Score
    Yup can see the shrimplets grazing on the moss and the hairgrass, have 5 galaxies and 5 tetras but ample hiding places for the shrimplets to flourish.

I dose eK brighty and shade every alternate day and no harm to the shrimp as I have yet to see any death after the tank stabilise.