Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Pics to share

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    OK I've been spending quite a lot of time these few weeks rescaping my tank... and although its far from done, I would appreciate some advance comments. After all its easier to change the way it looks now than in a couple of months time. So your comments and criticisms are most welcome. Also, I'm a lousy shot with the camera, so a lot of the images fuzzy... hehe sorry hor my hand not very stable.

Some additional images can be seen here

As for tank parameters here they are

Vol : 320L
    Substrate Deponit 100 (5 tubs) 2 years old liao
    Undergravel heater 75W
    6x36W Hitachi EBT FL Tubes
    4 bags lonestar gravel
    Filter Eheim 2028 (normal/course wool, ehfimech, biohome)
    PH=6.5, KH=3, NH3/NH4=0, NO2=0, NO3=10ppm

Fertilization 10ml TMG after water changes, 5ml daily
    KNO3 sufficient to raise NO3 by 15ppm (dosage broken up into daily levels)
    K2SO4 dosed at 10ppm at water change, 2ppm daily.
    3ppm Calcium Added at water change
    MgSo4 added to raise mg by 1ppm at water change
    Salt at 1 tbsp/10G
    Substrate additives using jobes sticks, laterite balls, 7-balls, E15...

Lighting hours at 6 (on) - 4 (off) - 5 (on)

Bioload : 90 Cardinals, 4 SAE (2.5 inch), 9 honey gourami (dwarfs 1 inch), 10 Congo Tetras, 8 Discus (2 days old in the tank), 6-8 Otos (not sure), 55 Yamato, and some malayan (die so many dunno how many left).

I think thats it... []
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    haha, nice tank Allen. healthy plants. but just one thing, did u purposely seem to leave out the right end a little bit bare? cos the left end seems to be filled up nicely by the plants.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Errr yes and no... like I said the tank is not finished yet... the right end of the tank is intended to be more sparse than the left... however, a lot of the background plants on the right are not at the right size yet.

my e.stellata is still in semi-emersed form and my e.bleheri is still tiny... I'm expecting both to bloom to be huge background plants... In front of those are lots of C wendii and C.becketii which are also in emersed form (one of the disadvantages of getting from teo). My E. Tenellus is also not as dense as I expect (its been a month since planting the emersed form). Also there is some Echinodorus. Parvi. Tropica which are quite hidden... Will probably move that more towards the right.

So yes its intended to be more sparse, but no not as sparse as you see it.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Btw, I still haven't been able to properly id the 2nd plant from the left (on the right of the Hygro. Difformis)... I think its a Hygrophila salicifolia... can anyone confirm of provide the right id?
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Hi Allen,

Looks great! That red plant in the background (what is it?) looks really nice and red. I like the way you have positioned the red(er) plants such that they are sort of blend together...very nice

BTW, your E.stellata is looking good, heh...heh...I've given up on the emersed ones from Teo's, but the Budak ones are doing really well...bigger than yours man! []

Oh, and while taking photos, just B4 pressing the shutter, hold your breath [], otherwise get a tripod. I just got one from Carrefour, 16 bucks, pretty cheap and good.

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Looks great! That red plant in the background (what is it?) looks really nice and red. I like the way you have positioned the red(er) plants such that they are sort of blend together...very nice

Alternanthera reineckii (not sure which variant)

BTW, your E.stellata is looking good, heh...heh...I've given up on the emersed ones from Teo's, but the Budak ones are doing really well...bigger than yours man! []

eh marcus... why u help him play cheat... grumble grumble... Actually I'm pretty happy with my E.Stellata, just surprised it hasn't started growing upwards... its been sprouting so many side plants that I'm considering snipping it off... Also, the other plant that I'm surpised at is the bleheri? I expected it to grow much faster. There are new leaves, but they seem to be quite small. I suspect maybe some alleopathy... was the bleheri growing emersed when you passed it to me? Just curious...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 12/12/2002 11:03:39 AM

was the bleheri growing emersed when you passed it to me? Just curious...[/b]

----------------

The e.bleheri where submersed plantlets. Actually I haven't figured out what make the grow huge and very fast. I remember for the longest time, mine were really stunted, I was dosing JBL Ferrepol and struggling with BBA. Then I got some E15 and plonked them in and within two weeks, woah! monster e.bleheri man!, oh and I did put some root monster under them.

eggz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Allen,

Those reineckii, are their leaves always pointing upwards and not spread out even with good light. Had them a couple of weeks ago and thought that was usual until I saw yours pointing up too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Got potential to be great looking tank! Nice!
    Will some plants grow tall on the right to cover up the green filter pipe?
    BTW - what is the dimension of your tank? 5ft but only 320 litres?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Geoffrey,

Yes so far it seem like they always point up...

KF,

My tank is 150(L)x45(W)x60(H). My gravel depth is about 10cm, and theres a couple of cm off the top So I assume roughly 150x45x47 for my water volume... which works out to 317L.

As for the filter pipe, I'm planning to move it further back, and let the echinodorus bleheri cover it up (if it ever gets there...) Worse case take it out during photo shoot
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice tank you have there Allen!

Although the right side is still relatively bare, I think it makes a good feeding ground for the discus. Just be careful that this space is still available when all the plants have established.

Also if I am not wrong, the red coloured plant in the middle of the tank (forgotten the name), can grow pretty tall with the leaves eventually hitting the surface (and they grow very fast). If this happens, you may have to consider migrating the plant to a differnt spot in the tank as it may distort the overall effect you are trying to achieve.

Overall, this is a tank with great potential. Good use of colours and plant heights.

Feedback Score
    Nice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    btw, if you go to my gallery through the link posted above, I have just put in some pics of my tank taken some 2 years ago. These are photos of my initial setup in its prime... Personally I was pretty proud of that first setup considering it was my first attempt at planted tanks. Hope you guys like it too.
    Allen