Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    A couple of questions. Is hydor able to function beside a tank and not under it? (Aquanatix did mention the hydors look nice next to his tank ) and do the taps act like eheim double taps? (ie I can close the taps and disconnect the hoses to clean the filter with no spillage)
    im not sure about putting it beside tank as never tried
    but i don't see why it cannot work - it doesnt seem to rely on gravity to help
    maybe aquanatix can provide more insight on this

refer to my pic of the taps, the end with the blue ring connects to the hosing
    the other black end can be screwed on directly to the filter
    so when disconnecting, just unscrew the taps directly from the filter
    if i can find time, show you a pic of how it connects later tonight

PS: im becoming like a hydor salesman they should be paying me for the advertising!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    $90 very closed to Eheim price, with additional surface skimmer and valve. It is a very good deal. For Eheim you will need to buy surface skimmer and quick disconect valve. Too bad I can't use it for my 1ft cube, ~30cm inlet is too long for 1ft, but still very good deal
    the sort of "surface skimmer" part in the hydor is actually inbuilt onto the inlet pipe
    if you look at my pic, its actually the clear round plastic thingy with a red ring that is surrounding the black inlet pipe

oh, and one bad thing about the hydor if you are using their inlet, the inside of the "surface skimmer" part is a little hard to clean

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hhmm......i read with interest on this topic.
    seems my eden501 'underpowered' for my 1footer. will keep tab in ur discussions..
    Formally known as EpiCentre in AQ

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1224 View Post
    the sort of "surface skimmer" part in the hydor is actually inbuilt onto the inlet pipe
    if you look at my pic, its actually the clear round plastic thingy with a red ring that is surrounding the black inlet pipe

oh, and one bad thing about the hydor if you are using their inlet, the inside of the "surface skimmer" part is a little hard to clean
    Yeah I can imagine that, but I can always use good old clorox it never fail me
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    With so many parts involved... I got a feeling most people will buy a new set instead and end up with 20 spare parts
    One of the reason I'm stick to eheim classic series. It is simple design and serve my purpose well, but then you have to buy aditional valve and surface skimmer which make Hydor cheaper.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It's the autoprime that's drawing me towards the Hydor. Everything else with eheim can be purchased. Can anyone pm me polyart's price for this item, or is midori's cheaper?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    can some one PM me also my 2213 is too power full for my 1.5ft current scape. thanks
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm... Think I bought my last prime 20 at ninety... ...maybe having promotion at that time...

Keong Siong is the distributor for Hydor. But I get mine from Wu Hu. They open up the whole box to test for me and even teach me how to clean up the filter! Great Service!

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe both of you can buy together to get the best deal!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Pic of the tap connection to the filter as promised

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    so no water will splash/gush out when the tap is unscrewed?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    off the filter then close the taps
    notice my taps are in the "closed" position
    once "closed", just unscrew from the filter

i won't say totally NO water, but to me its quite minimal really
    theres bound to be a little due to the trapped remnants in the area between the closure in the tap and the part where it joins to the filter
    nothing a well positioned cloth when unscrewing can't easily solve

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    As the NUMBER 1 ambassador of Hydor*cough cough*
    Lemme now answer all your queries!
    Do bear with me for the lengthy response guys.

im not sure about putting it beside tank as never tried
    but i don't see why it cannot work - it doesnt seem to rely on gravity to help
    maybe aquanatix can provide more insight on this

refer to my pic of the taps, the end with the blue ring connects to the hosing
    the other black end can be screwed on directly to the filter
    so when disconnecting, just unscrew the taps directly from the filter
    if i can find time, show you a pic of how it connects later tonight

PS: im becoming like a hydor salesman they should be paying me for the advertising!!!

1st up...UNFORTUNATELY...the cannister relies heavily on gravity.BUT...there is a way to overcome this.As shown in the picture below(setup 1),my cannister is literally on the floor(8cm below tank).Used on my pygmaeus breeding tank,flowrate suffers if using default length.Somehow the water doesn't travel efficiently into my cannister and constantly growls when auto priming. By shortening my hose the effects of gravity will be negated somewhat. For placing it on the table side by side i've not tried so far so i'm not sure if it works as well as the typical Eden 501(above tank level)etc? If you like i'll try it out and update accordingly?

A couple of questions. Is hydor able to function beside a tank and not under it? (Aquanatix did mention the hydors look nice next to his tank ) and do the taps act like eheim double taps? (ie I can close the taps and disconnect the hoses to clean the filter with no spillage)
    Yes,it's that simple!
    Using the picture provided by lee1224 above...
    1)Turn off taps(twist all the way up till it forms a somewhat 90deg angle )
    2)Turn off power mains to cannister
    3)Unscrew(VERY slight water leak,as lee1224 mentioned... nothing a well positioned cloth when unscrewing can't easily solve)
    4)Remove and wash!

For step number 4,if you're doing it frequently...you'll realize the below(picture 3) would be your best friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    how is the availability of Hydor spare part? is it as good as eheim?
    Surprisingly ok?Well...it's not as plentiful as ehiem but the most popular ones carry them.
    Wu Hu aquarium over at Tiong Bahru(some spares in shop,others call to order) : Ben is amazing,he'll conduct on the spot checks if ever your cannister malfunctions. My impeller died on me awhile ago and i brought it down. He removed everything,scrubbed all the sludge out(a year+ worth!) and proceeded to test and deduce that my impeller died.Not only that,he told me to save the money and eventually super glued the magnetic part on(that was the cause) and told me done! I offered to pay but he said it's perfectly ok,gave me a quick maintainance course on every part of the cannister,gave me a personal warranty and assured me that should anything cock up again...he'll be happy to service for me.Now...i was blown away by the service,HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! *Eventually i got so guilty i bought stuff from him from him! One of which is shown in picture 3*

Keong Seong over at Havelock road
    and Chong Pang (some spares in shop,others call to order): Never been to the chong pang one personally but confirmed by lee1224. The havelock one alittle "unfriendly"? Supposedly the official supplier for Hydor,they offered POSSIBLE reasons for damage and proceed with price quotations etc...that's about it. After Ben's VIP treatment,i'm probably biased.

Polyart Aquarium
    (NO spares in shop,everything call to order) : Pretty new supplier,probably 3months back. All staff have No knowledge whatsoever about product EXCEPT for him :
    Teo Hock Keh(Purchaser)
    HP: 97836889

Well,the guy is the main purchaser so he has quite abit of knowledge about the 3 Hydor cannisters. Unfortunately he's not always in the shop,if he is...he punches out at 7pm so you gotta be early for a "consultation"

It's the autoprime that's drawing me towards the Hydor. Everything else with eheim can be purchased. Can anyone pm me polyart's price for this item, or is midori's cheaper?
    Hope i don't offend anyone,the last i checked(16-07-0...The prime 10 is out of stock and will come by the end of the week. The prime 20 at Polyart meanwhile costs the SAME as the ORIGINAL PRICE of midori's prime 10. The uncle has no idea of how much the prime 10 costs since he had no stock so my best guess would be Midori's discounted price plus minus. No harm waiting till the end of the week to double confirm difference.

Now...about the advertising fee you were talking about lee...i think i deserve a bigger cut no?

SETUP 1:

SETUP 2:

BEST FRIEND:

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquanatix View Post
    1st up...UNFORTUNATELY...the cannister relies heavily on gravity.BUT...there is a way to overcome this.As shown in the picture below(setup 1),my cannister is literally on the floor(8cm below tank).Used on my pygmaeus breeding tank,flowrate suffers if using default length.Somehow the water doesn't travel efficiently into my cannister and constantly growls when auto priming. By shortening my hose the effects of gravity will be negated somewhat. For placing it on the table side by side i've not tried so far so i'm not sure if it works as well as the typical Eden 501(above tank level)etc? If you like i'll try it out and update accordingly?
    what i meant was that it doesnt seem to rely on gravity to start, so it would probably work fine if placed beside tank
    never tried side by side though since i have no space to put it beside tank
    yx you sure you wanna put this beside tank?
    it kinda looks bulky beside a 1ft cube tank

what you mean by gravity in this case is that its a detriment to flowrate and smooth running?
    hmmm... this is food for thought
    mine was also below tank but it just coughs and burps for awhile when starting and afterwards it worked fine
    i was pretty satisfied with the flowrate too
    unfortunately that setup is now no longer in existence so i cant test more on this

Yes,it's that simple!
    Using the picture provided by lee1224 above...
    1)Turn off taps(twist all the way up till it forms a somewhat 90deg angle )
    2)Turn off power mains to cannister
    3)Unscrew(VERY slight water leak,as lee1224 mentioned... nothing a well positioned cloth when unscrewing can't easily solve)
    4)Remove and wash!
    actually for me, my method reverses your steps 1 and 2
    i off 1st before close taps

For step number 4,if you're doing it frequently...you'll realize the below(picture 3) would be your best friend!

BEST FRIEND:
    looks kinda like the ada cleaning pipe.
    nifty looking piece!
    how big is the cleaning head part?

Now...about the advertising fee you were talking about lee...i think i deserve a bigger cut no?
    I respectfully defer to a superior hydor user of course

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    what i meant was that it doesnt seem to rely on gravity to start, so it would probably work fine if placed beside tank
    never tried side by side though since i have no space to put it beside tank
    yx you sure you wanna put this beside tank?
    it kinda looks bulky beside a 1ft cube tank

what you mean by gravity in this case is that its a detriment to flowrate and smooth running?
    hmmm... this is food for thought
    mine was also below tank but it just coughs and burps for awhile when starting and afterwards it worked fine
    i was pretty satisfied with the flowrate too
    unfortunately that setup is now no longer in existence so i cant test more on this
    That's what i've observed so far...i suppose that's the reason why they usually illustrate a recommended height for cannister placement in the instruction manual? I've noticed that i have no problems with my other 2 cannisters placed on the floor that are servicing the upper 2 tanks(3tiered 2footer rack). Somehow with the bottom one my flowrate suffered alot. I went to experiment with height issues and came up with the deduction of gravity VS flowrate. But in my case,this was used primarily in a breeding setup so the low flowrate was just ok for me. I still had to adjust hose length for awhile(lots of hose trimming!) but guess i got the preferred flowrate.That's why i mentioned that i'm not sure if it'll work just as effectively as the eden 501 as it's suggested to hang by the side of tank. Anyone care to shed some light on this issue?

actually for me, my method reverses your steps 1 and 2
    i off 1st before close taps
    Haha...for me i just feel that the motor should be given ample time to stop before i kill the power. It's a personal habit i developed over years of using a cannister so i guess it stuck with me?Personal habit?

looks kinda like the ada cleaning pipe.
    nifty looking piece!
    how big is the cleaning head part?
    Aha!That's what i thought initially.Surprise surprise,this costs like $3 or $5? Like i mentioned above,i bought this at Wuhu when i was going through my guilt trip! The cleaning head is roughly 4cm(length) by 3cm(width),fits nice and snugly into the hoses(even the bigger prime 20!) One push and out all the sludge goes. Not to worry,besides Wuhu i've seen it for sale in many places. It's some German brand if i remember correctly,blueish cardboard backing with the thing clearly displayed in a plastic shell.

I respectfully defer to a superior hydor user of course
    Wahaha! Looks like my ownership of 7 Hydors has finally been put to good use! And all this time i thought i was just being fanatical!

Anyway...the ONLY sucky thing i hate about the Hydor is the !@$% inlet and outlet pipes! They're made with 90 deg bends and my "best friend" simply cannot reach the area!(refer to post #28 on page 2 for clearer reference) I know there's sludge stuck along the corners but i JUST CANNOT reach the ^%$* area! So what i usually do is poke around with the bristle head,flush with water...See sludge gets flushed out and repeat.I'll usually do this a few times(well,i'm anal that way) till i see no more sludge get flushed out. Only then will i assemble everything back and hook up the cannister to my tank. This is usually rectified by the usage of another set of inlet and outlet pipes,but then again...I'm such an ardent fan of the black/blue theme that i won't settle for anything else other then the "original" accessories?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my tank's an office tank and is on my table above a chest of drawers. i can't put it anywhere below the tank, unfortunately. Best I can do is to hide it behind the tank, out of sight by the oyama.

thanks so much for the very detailed information aquanatix and lee1224. I'm indeed very inclined towards the hydor now. Only things left to settle are the inlet/outlet (still awaiting your pm aquanatix ) and the placement of the filter

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Aha!That's what i thought initially.Surprise surprise,this costs like $3 or $5? Like i mentioned above,i bought this at Wuhu when i was going through my guilt trip! The cleaning head is roughly 4cm(length) by 3cm(width),fits nice and snugly into the hoses(even the bigger prime 20!) One push and out all the sludge goes. Not to worry,besides Wuhu i've seen it for sale in many places. It's some German brand if i remember correctly,blueish cardboard backing with the thing clearly displayed in a plastic shell.

Wahaha! Looks like my ownership of 7 Hydors has finally been put to good use! And all this time i thought i was just being fanatical!

Anyway...the ONLY sucky thing i hate about the Hydor is the !@$% inlet and outlet pipes! They're made with 90 deg bends and my "best friend" simply cannot reach the area!(refer to post #28 on page 2 for clearer reference) I know there's sludge stuck along the corners but i JUST CANNOT reach the ^%$* area! So what i usually do is poke around with the bristle head,flush with water...See sludge gets flushed out and repeat.I'll usually do this a few times(well,i'm anal that way) till i see no more sludge get flushed out. Only then will i assemble everything back and hook up the cannister to my tank. This is usually rectified by the usage of another set of inlet and outlet pipes,but then again...I'm such an ardent fan of the black/blue theme that i won't settle for anything else other then the "original" accessories?
    German brand with blue cardboard backing?
    sounds like JBJ

SEVEN!!! woah you are indeed the hydor master
    i thought you had only four!

yeah agree with you on the pipes
    the "undetachability" of the pipes is indeed a problem
    i also don't quite like the fact that it can't be cut/adjusted to a shorter length
    but well... nothing's perfect
    so i get around this by not using the pipes

YX,

its a good discussion anyway - exploring alternatives to eheim
    i got nothing against eheim really (except the color scheme)
    but i find it good to know that theres quality alternative choices out there
    i must have a thing for italians - fave filter brands are eden and hydor
    Last edited by oblivion; 19th Jul 2008 at 01:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think this is a very good discussion too!

It will be most ideal to include the pictures of replacing the standard Hydor Inlet and Outlet tube with the Lily pipe for those who like to use this filter for the smaller tanks. Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yx, fill us in on your impressions of the filter when you are done admiring it

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    German brand with blue cardboard backing?
    sounds like JBJ

SEVEN!!! woah you are indeed the hydor master
    i thought you had only four!

yeah agree with you on the pipes
    the "undetachability" of the pipes is indeed a problem
    i also don't quite like the fact that it can't be cut/adjusted to a shorter length
    but well... nothing's perfect
    so i get around this by not using the pipes

YX,

its a good discussion anyway - exploring alternatives to eheim
    i got nothing against eheim really (except the color scheme)
    but i find it good to know that theres quality alternative choices out there
    i must have a thing for italians - fave filter brands are eden and hydor
    JBJ?Not sure...bought it like a year ++ ago.But i've seen it at C328 a couple of times so for those einterested can always go check it out.

Yeap...my "peak" was 7 but i sold 3 to the bros here over the past 6months to consolidate my tanks.Sold one to ongtw if i remember correctly. Anyway,got another spare set i wanna throw out so we'll see.All i'm missing is a Prime 30 to complete the current collection!

Anyway i'm still using the pipes but as mentioned above,i'll scrub really hard! USing it on a 2footer so length wise still not an issue?

Actually other brands to consider would be fluval,tetra ex etc...Quite a few comparable ones to be exact.Heard the tetra EX series are pretty ok as well,hope i get a set to test out in the future.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast