Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hydor Prime 10 vs Eheim 2211

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, I'm replacing the filter on my 1ft cube and am deciding between the above 2 filters. Both are rated at 300li/hour, and each has its pros and cons. The Hydor has autoprime and flow control (helps as this is a huge overfiltration after all) while the Eheim is slightly cheaper and, well, is an eheim (though i heard the new classics are made in china). anyone have any comments, feedback and advice for me please?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Not too sure about the origin of the Eheim 2211... I have 3 running, 1 in a 20L tank. Perfect, smooth and sexy... that's how I will describe it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i have very good experience with hydor as well
    works perfect for me
    amd i wouldnt say the eheim is cheaper since hydor typically already comes with media and taps
    only drawback is the pipes can't be cut

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Being a owner of 3 prime 10 and a single prime 20 i'm a big fan of the cannisters?
    All of them are in my room and they're silent,motor doesn't really feel hot when touching the top and maintaining it is almost effortless due to the easy removal of individual components in the filter...Parts are decently priced and you can get any part replaced(courtesy of Ben over at Wuhu and now the Polyart guys!) easily...and that includes their blackish hosing. Not to mention the blue/black colour scheme is definitely pleasing IMHO as compared to the standard green Eheims. Like lee1224 mentioned,media and all misc parts like taps etc are already included so that's a little saved. Not sure why he mentioned the drawback of not being able to cut the pipes? By pipes you mean the black hosing? Anyway,the above sorta sums up my "love" for Hydor...need more convincing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for me eheim is the way to go.... just love their designs....
    5 eheim canisters, 8 eheim liberty, 1 internal filter

love the green colour and parts are both lasting and easily available...

i haven't used hydor, but i think it is good too...

so in the end it boils down to which design you prefer....
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You forgot to mention water surface skimming...

Quote Originally Posted by aquanatix View Post
    Being a owner of 3 prime 10 and a single prime 20 i'm a big fan of the cannisters?
    All of them are in my room and they're silent,motor doesn't really feel hot when touching the top and maintaining it is almost effortless due to the easy removal of individual components in the filter...Parts are decently priced and you can get any part replaced(courtesy of Ben over at Wuhu and now the Polyart guys!) easily...and that includes their blackish hosing. Not to mention the blue/black colour scheme is definitely pleasing IMHO as compared to the standard green Eheims. Like lee1224 mentioned,media and all misc parts like taps etc are already included so that's a little saved. Not sure why he mentioned the drawback of not being able to cut the pipes? By pipes you mean the black hosing? Anyway,the above sorta sums up my "love" for Hydor...need more convincing?

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sounds like many prefer Hydor... maybe I should get one today

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I like to support the underdog...

Anyway, think it's good to support some of Eheim's competitors, so that they will have a good reason to drop price and maintain product quality. I choose to support Hydor, and hopefully with more sales they can also come out with better design and more competitive pricing..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Merviso View Post
    You forgot to mention water surface skimming...
    are you saying the surface skimming is included? How much is the price different between hydor and eheim?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i used to support fluval canister by hagen... sigh... gave me a bad experience ... so stick to eheim...
    lifeisfullofemptypromisesandbrokendreams
    Hypancistrus and Tanganyikan cichlids breeding

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    are you saying the surface skimming is included? How much is the price different between hydor and eheim?
    Hi Robert, surface skimming is done by the intake pipe due to their integrated design. Sorry, I do not know about their price different.

Hi johannes, I did came across a lot of complains on Fluval's earlier model when I'm doing my research. However, seems like the review for FX5 is not too bad... Hopefully they can do better...
    Last edited by Merviso; 15th Jul 2008 at 14:11.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just to check, it's not possible for me to adjust the intake and outlet to fit my smaller tank?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    You mean flowrate?It's adjustable via the taps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi illumnae, are you refering to Hydor?

If yes, the outlet should not be an issue since it is much shorter than the inlet.

As for the inlet tube, the lenght is fixed but can be extended if you tank is taller with the provided extension tube. As for shorter tank, I guess the only way possible is to slant in at an angle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How long is the inlet tube for hydor 10?
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My tank is a 1ft cube with a few inches of soil, so the inlet/outlet must be about 8 inches. There's no way I can achieve this with Hydor? I know I can saw the eheim inlet/outlet

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    I know I can saw the eheim inlet/outlet
    The Eheim outlet is to tiny (10mm diameter), I just bent it with force and break it... no sawing

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was quite pumped up to go get the hydor after work today after reading all the feedback. Now i'll have to reconsider since my tank is too small

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aquanatix View Post
    actually i meant the inlet and outlet pipes, not the hosing

Quote Originally Posted by Merviso View Post
    Hi illumnae, are you refering to Hydor?

If yes, the outlet should not be an issue since it is much shorter than the inlet.

As for the inlet tube, the lenght is fixed but can be extended if you tank is taller with the provided extension tube. As for shorter tank, I guess the only way possible is to slant in at an angle.
    the outlet is okay but the inlet kinda too long for a 1ft cube
    and you can't cut them to fit since the design of the in- and out- pipes is sort of like integrated

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    How long is the inlet tube for hydor 10?
    Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    My tank is a 1ft cube with a few inches of soil, so the inlet/outlet must be about 8 inches. There's no way I can achieve this with Hydor? I know I can saw the eheim inlet/outlet
    what i do is use lily pipes actually
    yes it will then lose out in terms of pricing if you take the lily pipes costs into account
    but then again i will be using lily pipes anyway no matter which filter im using
    or you can always use other generic or even the eheim piping with the filter

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What's the hose size of hydor prime 10?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast