Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: My 5' Tank update

My 5' Tank update

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just took some pics of my 5' tank.
    Started dosing Dr Mallick lushgro micros, K2SO4 and MgSO4.
    Did see significant plant growth.

The vals are a little thin in the middle because I uprooted quite a few when I placed an acrylic strip at the back to prevent the vals from running all over.

There are holes in the vals, which I suspect were cause by the 5 clown loaches having a snack. So am thinking of reducing their population to 3. Good thing is that the whole tank is totally free of snails.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    is that Sumatran fern in the middle? Nice effect... i rarely see it being used anywhere..

Feedback Score
    wow, realli nice planted tank. Wish to have 1 like tat too. Wonder is tat a red arowana or RTG?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice nice... though the gap in the middle looks a bit artificial... Otherwise looks really good...
    Allen

The middle plant seems to be hygrophila difformis, but the leaves seems to be finer than the normal ones. I've had both in a previous tank before.

That aro is a DFI chilli red. But not showing much colors yet

I'm still waiting for the vals to send some runners to the middle gap. The gap shouldn't be there..

Actually, a very simple tank with minimal plants.

Tennellus, hygrophila difformis, nanas, blyxa japonica, nuphar japonica, 2 kinds of lilys, some unknown crypto, vals...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    for a moment, i thought you really have a 5 inch tank...

love that bushy bunch of grass looking plant in the middle... where you got those from?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi vican,

can ID the plant beside the fern?? thanx

----------------
    On 12/12/2002 10:52:05 PM

hi vican,

can ID the plant beside the fern?? thanx

----------------
    That's blyxa japonica. They're all planted in the mid ground across the tank. But somehow, those on the right side seems to be doing extremely well

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Impressive. Like the way you arrange the driftwood too.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Vican: What Val species are those. Seem to grow tall. How high can they go? The Corkscrew Val I am using seem to have stopped growing tall lately.

Nice tank for Aro! Would the Vals get in its way since Aro likes to swim near the surface.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Hi Vican Nice Tank

"K2SO4 and MgSO4." what is this? Im also using Dr Mallick formula.

Benny,
    The driftwood idea steal from Gan's tank. (Jacian, Simon, David, Yimin +++) to create a terrace effect separating the foreground from the midground. Background separated by a acrylic sheet running across the tank

Juggler,
    Not too sure what vals. Just the normal Vallisneria americana. According to the Oriental catalog, can grow to 2m, so regular trimming is required. But it is a good plant to have in the aro tank to suck up the nitrate with its fast growth. Undemanding plant. Where did you get your Rubra? thought of putting those in the centre portion to make a difference.

So far, my aro is still small, so he does swim in between the vals. Quite a sight to behold. But I suppose that as he grows, I might need to remove most of them.

cyberjoe,
    Dr Mallick has 2 kinds of fertilisers. Lushgro and lushgro micros.I am using micros.

The composition of LUSHGro MICROS is as follows:
    Iron 170.04 g/litre
    Manganese 30.61 g/litre
    Boron 2940 mg/litre
    Zinc 3780 mg/litre
    Copper 1660 mg/litre
    Molybdenum 2840 mg/litre
    Cobalt traces
    Vitamins traces

Because my aro tank is high in nitrate, I should not use the lushgro aqua as it does contain nitrate. To supplement the absence of potassium and magnesium, I add K2SO4 and MgSO4 to the tank.

So currently, I put 3 drops of micros daily and 1/2 teaspoon of K2SO4 and MgSO4 Only after 50% water change.

With this regiment, I did see significant growth in the plants )esp vals and nuphar japonica. The tennellus are also showing off a reddish sheen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Victor,

Could be the pic, but some of the vals look yellow. Mine are short, about 1 feet and keep turning yellow. Not growing very fast either. I'm thinking of replacing them.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Vinz,
    You're right.
    I believe that the clown loaches are attacking the vals for snacks to supplement their diet. Those that are yellowing usually have some holes in the leaves that look like teeth marks.

Another reason is that at a certain period, I was doing quite a bit of replanting of the vals. This probably stressed the plants and they didn't do well for a period. Even had green spot algae growing on the leaves.
    Could also be due to nutrient inbalance at a certain period when I didn't have liquid fertilisation in place.

I'm trimming those as I can see them during water change. New leaves are nice and green though

Feedback Score
    Very nice planted tank!

Where did you get your 5' tank? I'm looking for one. Saw one in Bioplast, which seems well made with nice cabinet and thick glass. The price is expensive though.

Would appreciate any info from you.

Thanks,
    Roy