Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Seeking advice on dwarf shrimps

Feedback Score

Seeking advice on dwarf shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Bought 100 malayan and 20 yamato yesterday from pet mart. Then they were introduced into the tank slowly with proper acclimatization etc.

Tonight when i got back saw abt 10+ malayan and 2 yamatoes dead. I clear them out of the tank.

But later this evening, I notice more casualties. The shrimps, mostly malayan given the larger population, seems to be in shock or something. They were fine one moment, then next on their side almost immobile, except slight movement of their legs. They were also noted to be breathing rapidly.

My tank's parameters:
    2ft planted
    neglible Ns, PO4
    18ppm K
    1bps C02
    4 KH
    29 celsius
    2 * 36w at 10 hrs/day

Population:
    3 med SAE
    3 otto
    abt 6 existing yamato
    1 mollie
    4 golden pencils
    4 pygmy cories (recently introduced)

Their siblings (same bag) are still all okay in my minature setup, also planted.

Please advice? [] []
    Regards.

Feedback Score
    Hi Deff,

I am not really sure but I think there is too much shrimp in your tank. For a two feet tank that is kind of high the number of shrimp you put in. Territory and lack of oxigen maybe the cause.

I cannot remember but I thought that I read somewhere that the ratio is 100 yamato or shrimp for 4 feet tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Have you check the pH of the original water from the shrimp bag and pH of your own tank? Sometimes the difference is too much for the shrimps to take even through slow and proper acclimatization. How slow is slow in your case?
    Last edited by Quixotic; 2nd Dec 2008 at 00:57.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Most of them time, the shrimps die of lack of oxygen....

They are so used to a high oxygen set-up in the LFS that when you bring them home to a planted tank where the oxygen level is not as high as before, most would get problems trying to acclimitise....

Add in a aeration pump for a few days and let them get used to it slowly, bringing the amount of oxygen down slowly....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    Turaco, slow being 2 hours?

Tried introducing last night... have to wait to till tonight to see if it works.

Thanks for the advice.
    Regards.

Feedback Score
    i have a question about shrimps. i just bought tiger strip shrimp yesterday , and when i introduce them to the tank , they went about swimming left right , up and down , all the way to the tip of the surface. all the time hugging the tankwall. Are they cleaning the tank glass ? Cause i woke up this morning and found them on the bottom of the tank this time , moving as they should , not darting abt anymore. although i can't find a few of them.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 2nd Dec 2008 at 00:58.
    here fishy fish fishy . here shirmpy shirmpy here is my noobie tank(3wk)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Dear Deff, your temp may be a problem.

Try lower your temp to 26c or 27c

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Dear Chia2k,

Normally new shrimp introduce to the tank, they will swim like crazy .....but after a few day they will just sit down on the bottom. This is normal situation, as they willl act when the new environment they adapted.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    From the above i don't think temperature problem. More like acclimatization and some shrimp chasing problems. Let the shrimps slowly adjust the temeperature by leaving the packet in the tank for at least 30 minutes and then pour some water from the tank into the packet at least 2 minutes to adjust the ph and etc. Lastly pour the packet slowly into the tank. Some fishes might think of food hence they would chase the shrimps around especially you have SAE and pencils. Sometimes when SAE is boring, it will chase other fishes for fun. That's why med-big SAE is famous for using them to school tetra and etc.