Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Sighting 19 Jul 08: Small Altum Angels at Biotope

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Saw lot of Altum Angels at Biotope, about 1.5" size, affordable price indeed. Planning to grab some next week when my 3ft is fully cycled. Bros please keep some for me, hehe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I was speaking with someone who saw these angels yesterday. Highly unlikely they are altums based on price alone. It's more likely they are bred scalares or at best peruvian scalares.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Was surprise with the price too, hmm... Better confirm with uncle
    before purchase them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think I saw them at C328 last week also.. Was shock to hear a pair only cost about 3 purple notes.. Went to ask auntie where she told me these are the so called "fake" altum.. Don't know anyone here know where is the name of those self-claimed "fake" altum that auntie had said?
    Searching For - C.Goldline and C. Black ven

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Usually fake altums refer to Peruvian altums, which are actually P. scalares (ie normal angelfish)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    So they are not altum angel

Feedback Score
    I took a look at the 'altum angel' fish tank and guess they are true altum. This is based on their swimming behaviour. But I must say this batch of altum do not have high dorsal fins. Many years ago, GAN Aquarium's batches of young altum spotted high reddish dorsal fins, very nice. I did rear them before.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is there a marked difference in swimming behaviour between true altums and peruvian altums? There is a marked difference in price between true altums and peruvian altums, and given the timing of the shipment, it coincides with the time when most other major LFS were selling peruvian altums. I highly suspect they are peruvian altums and not true altums.

I guess we will only know for sure if Biotope spots this thread and clarifies honestly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    With the size of the 'Altum' it is difficult to ascertain whether they are actual Altums or other species. In particular the fins might be clamped up or burnt, given the condition. Go see a baby arowana and you will know what I mean.

Anyone care to upload a picture of their new purchase?
    Maurice Cheong
    A . M o m e n t . o f . T r a n q u i l i t y...

Feedback Score
    Well, the distinctive feature of an altum is its long pelvic fins, its high dorsal fins and band of strips on its body. Obviously this batch at Biotope does not have clear strips on their bodies, rather they are faded and no high dorsal fins. But what makes me kind of believe is their pelvic fins. Young altum does the kind type of swim-forward-and-pause-and-swim-forward behaviour. I don't have chance to see altums and peruvian side by side hence can't comment on peruvian.

In any case, (based on what I have seen so far) I may be really wrong in claiming them to be true altum unless Biotope can verify them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Anyone can make a call to Biotope? hehe.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if its true, its really cheap then.anyway, guess a true altum will be easier to tell when they are bigger.
    Getting into Fishy Business

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    If can grow up to our palm size still fine, if not.... peruvian altum

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by d2sign View Post
    If can grow up to our palm size still fine, if not.... peruvian altum
    Just came back from Biotope just now.. True enough.. They are peruvian altum..
    Searching For - C.Goldline and C. Black ven

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How do you know if those are peruvian altums ?
    given the size of the angel fish body is just the size of 50cents coin.
    Can share with us how to see.
    Chee Yong

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i went down to see the so called altums. The colour is indeed faded without the high dorsal fins as some have mention.however, i do see reddish colouration on its fins.by judging by its body shape and the two long tail fins below seems to curl towards the belly. this makes me think its more like the P.Scalare.just my thoughts.go http://www.finarama.com/tba/identification.htm to see more pictures.
    Getting into Fishy Business

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshika View Post
    i went down to see the so called altums. The colour is indeed faded without the high dorsal fins as some have mention.however, i do see reddish colouration on its fins.by judging by its body shape and the two long tail fins below seems to curl towards the belly. this makes me think its more like the P.Scalare.just my thoughts.go http://www.finarama.com/tba/identification.htm to see more pictures.

Thanks for the informative URL. Those Peruvian angels really look like altum especially when young.

Well if the Peruvian Angel can talk, she'll probably say:
    ' Hey look, please dun degrade me calling me fake unreal cheap. I am Peruvian - PERUVIAN. If can, I choose not to breed in captivity, only 2 babies a year after the raining season when the water is fresh and nice. I grow slowly and only rare location can I be found." We will see a lot of fan fare then for this fish and high price.

I mean, this peruvian is such nice looking fish and affordable but now frankly speaking I am really worry that people (especially those of my high class friends) start to tell me that I am keeping fakes, if I buy and keep them, you know what I mean....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi all just side track abit, what do you guys usually feed your altums?
    Lets put a smile on that face

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I used to feed them 'JBL tetra bits' meant for discus and found the result satisfactory. I saw some people feeding live worms and small fishes to help bring out the intense colour.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Saw the angels at Biotope 2 days ago. Looks more like normal tank-bred P. Scalares. Doesn't even look like wild peruvians to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast