Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: frozen plant

Feedback Score

frozen plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    ahahahaa a funny thing happened , last night 2 buddies came over and we got almost drunk . then they slept in my living room so i on the aircon for them and went to sleep. next morning , i woke up and saw that my tank temp is 21 C !!! will it kill plants ? then later on the tank started to have condensation on the outside of the glass like a cold drink
    here fishy fish fishy . here shirmpy shirmpy here is my noobie tank(3wk)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Dun think plants will have any significant problems except some may tend to melt do to the change in conditions namely cryptos..... should be a worry. I would be more worried for your fish, esp if you have sensitive fishes.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    no fish yet , the tank isn't mature until next sunday. isit alright to intro a few yamatos b4 then ? or should i wait until next sun with the fish . cause i spotted a few batch of hair algae and thought maybe i should intro 5 yamatos . will they eat my glossostigma ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Put in some algae eating creatures (preferably hardy ones) to help handle the algae and also kick off the nitrogen cycling. Try not to add to much at one go (you decide yourself how much is too much, ok).
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yamatoes and otos are not hardy enough to withstand high nitrate....maybe get those malayan shrimps..cheaper. For fish can get those long gao fish..LOL..free somemore. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/14/2002 5:16:31 PM

Yamatoes and otos are not hardy enough to withstand high nitrate....maybe get those malayan shrimps..cheaper. For fish can get those long gao fish..LOL..free somemore. []
    ----------------
    If nitrate is your problem, why not increase plant load, and introduce yamatos...
    Allen

Feedback Score
    just to be save , i bought 5 of em only . the thing is , all my plants except for the red ones are bubbling like crazy . fine leaves ones producing small bubble , bigger lieaves producing big bubble. although this is happening , i wonder if the co2 lvl in my tank is so high it will kill shrimps. when i added the tiger stripe shrimp (shrimp with stripes on their body), i thought they would stay at the bottom feeding on the hair algae, instead , i find them darting abt left right , then a few of them swim up to the surface and then back down. none of them when to hide. is that normal ?

right now my tank is 26.5 c
    lighting is 36W X 2 = 72 W
    a 73 litre tank = 19 gallons i think
    using a diy co2
    from wat i heard ph flauates like crazy during the first month. the thing is , the tank some times read at around 6.5 , than sometimes it can reach 5.8 ! is it dangerous at 5.8 ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    did you check you kh?
    did you add any sodium bicarbonate to increase you kh?
    may be your tank has a ph crash.
    thomas liew

err my test kit for ph can only measure as low as 6, so 5.8??? Go figure.... []

Feedback Score
    well to tell u the truth , im just guessing at the firgure here , the test chart that comes with the ph test kit sets light yellow at 6.5 , dark yellow at 6 and orange at 5.5 . from wat i can see .... its yellow .think of getting the sera test kit. anyway the shrimps have settled down , now they are at the bottom of the tank feeding of brown stuff . counted only 3 , can't find the other 2 , maybe hidin in plants.

Feedback Score
    say will fighting fish eat up tiger strip shrimp ? coz i know they are hardy but i think they eat other fish too rite ? thought of gettting one or maybe the shrimps are enough to kick start the nitrogen cycle for now . will be adding fish in next sunday.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1) Dun be too paranoid. 21 degrees C is probably not going to do anything drastic to your tank. Freezing is 0 degrees C... a bit far off (got a bit shocked when reading the subject heading).

2) You need to maintain a certain KH to buffer the pH from dropping too low. But pH will swing happen no matter how mature your tank is. It is natural. Unless you want to spend a few hundred dollars [:0] to get pH controller to fix the pH at one point.

3) I dun think the Betta will "eat" your other fishes, but there mixed reports of Betta in community tanks. It is either they harass other fish and nip their fins, or they are perfect denizens.

ck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've know people put bettas into a tank with other community fishes but they don't do well as they are kinda anti social and gets quite nervous around other fishes. Sounds weird rite... as we know fighting fishes are known to be the agressive type. They will get stressed out and eventually proceed to betta heaven.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    uh ok , how abt ram cichlids ? do they mix well with fishes like cardinal tetra ? thiking of keeping ram cichlids but scared they go abt biting off tetra heads and eating my shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Suggest you put in 2 SAE and maybe 5 Otos. That should be good enuff to start your N Cycle.

I'm still very suspicious about you kH. Any results so far from your testing. kH tester ok? Did you manage to up you kH? Settle this first before anything else.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    haven't bought any KH tester at all. only a ph tester. the shrimps seems to be doing fine , although i know the reason why a few of them race to the top . coz there are a lot of fine hair like algae at the top!

saw a few feeding on them. i was thinking of getting the ph tester , kh tester today , but petmart ran out of stock ! thinking of going to genx tomolo to buy 1 - 2 more pot of plant ( lookng at more glossostigma ) and hopefully they should have the tester. looing for accurate testing kit , but not too ex

um is there any visible signs that kh is too high ? also i found that the tablet that i spread out hasn't totally dissolve , and there are klumps of fine hair like algae on it ( its not green but looks like a hairball ). right now i can only see a few of it. should i remove them myself ?

finally, my red plant , the top of it is red , nice but as it gets lower and lower , it has green leaves than at the bottom i saw a leave without and pigments at all !!! its like transparent !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Chia Nice to see your tank.

Anyway, this is my exp - betta may go after your small shrimps - mine did. Have some baby cherry chrimps, so had to keep him in a breeding tank. Otherwise, I should worry more for your betta where other fishes are concerned. Bettas tend to get bullied and fin-nipped by other fishes. []

Ram cichlids may go after your shrimps - big or small, so think twice. If you wanna, why not keep some neon tetras first? they're much more hardy and won't go after your shrimps. Just a suggestion. Otherwise, keep your betta in a breeding tank.

Feedback Score
    thx for the info anakin. i was thinking of tetras too. sad man , i think my tank is too screwy for any living things except plants. found 1 dead shrimp today man tml i will have to comb the tank for the rest of the buggers. everytime i on the light , they scurry their way into the tall plants. hard to find them at all ! the dead guy was dead in the big open foregrd space. hopefully there are no other dead shrimps. do shrimp eat dead shrimp ? else how would u know if u have a dead shrimp in the backgrd ?
    i was thinking of introducing another 20 more shrimp but after today , i think i will wait , add SAE first. abt 5 SAE , do i need to feed them normal flake food or those veg flake food

but can anyone please tell me , must i measure for kh ? what else do i need to measure for other than ph ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    chia:

PH, KH, No3... more advance is PO4, FE

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/16/2002 1:29:26 AM

thx for the info anakin. i was thinking of tetras too. sad man , i think my tank is too screwy for any living things except plants. found 1 dead shrimp today man tml i will have to comb the tank for the rest of the buggers. everytime i on the light , they scurry their way into the tall plants. hard to find them at all ! the dead guy was dead in the big open foregrd space. hopefully there are no other dead shrimps. do shrimp eat dead shrimp ? else how would u know if u have a dead shrimp in the backgrd ?

i was thinking of introducing another 20 more shrimp but after today , i think i will wait , add SAE first. abt 5 SAE , do i need to feed them normal flake food or those veg flake food

but can anyone please tell me , must i measure for kh ? what else do i need to measure for other than ph ?
    ----------------

Do try some of the cheaper tetras that are more hardy... Neons are pretty weak nowadays, dunno why, mebbe too much inbreeding... I find that rummy nose and glowlights can survive better, looks nicer in a planted set-up too...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site