Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Horny CRS behaviour

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently one of my CRS became berried (first time expectant hobbyist). I noticed that the social behaviour of the rest of the 10+ CRS became bizzaire. They no longer quietly hid in the usual places. A group of females started surrounding the berried female which took up position near the coral chip, and 2 to 3 males started swimming up and down and eventaully succumbing to exhaution and up the lorry. All lasted for about 1 week. CRS colouration remained bright red and snow white. I don't seem to remember reading about this fatal horny behaviour happening in this manner in the literature. What's happening?

I do not measure water chemical parameters. Water is chilled at about 26C. Moderately planted 4 feet tank with CO2 injection, alternate day sechem fertiliser regimen (unchanged). Recently uprooted some fast growing water wisteria.

Also like to find out if I should remove the berried CRS or wait for the shrimplets to appear before saving them from the 100+ hungry neon tetras?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i would advise you to let nature take course.as you take out also headache unless you got another planted tank that have the same parameter as your current tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Unless you have another tank prepared with the same condition as your current tank, else will not suggest you do the change. There is a high probability of ending up with a dead pregnant female.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    No Wonders my berried cherries kept dying!!! Horny Till death?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the advise. Unfortunately, they started dying one by one. Could be ammonia spike from dead bodies? Had pulled out over grown water wisteria (one super biological filter) to improve water flow to contain the BBA acouple of weeks ago. Finally 20% water changed (search and recovery of hidden dead bodies) and cleaned the filter. Now all CRS are in a better place RIP. The best looking cleaning crew I had. Will surely miss them. Need to employ a new cleaning crew.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    CRS are super-sensitive. Don't try anything or else you would see more dead coming. I believed that your clearly of water wisteria had resulted in your CRS death. They don't die immediately, you could notice them up the lorry starting from 6 hrs to 3 days, some took longer and and some much faster regardless of their size.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 4th Aug 2008 at 16:50. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    DSC_0047 copy.jpg
    Berried female in happier times gathering around the coral chip with her hen party
    DSC_0051 copy.jpg
    Menacing neon tetras eyeing the juicy shrimp rolls

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh no! tetra will feast the CRS shrimplets, suggest you split them into two different tank, one for fish, one for shrimps.