Images
    Country
    Singapore

my ricca floats...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i've tied my ricca on a piece of mesh and after a month it starts to float it isnt much there's still some gaps in the mesh how do i make the mesh sink or should i tirm the ricca?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ahhaha it happened to me once... all i did was burst all the bubbles then it sink back.. but after awhile as it produces more bubbles it floats again[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Cardinal,

Riccia is a floating plant called a liverwort. They are often a favorite among newbies because they are really beautiful when they pearl. For myself? I avoid the plant as it is really messy. So here are some points about riccia

1. It is a floating plant
    2. It does not put down roots... at least in the conventional sense
    3. It will not spread horizontally. Where you put it is where it stays
    4. It will grow upwards vertically
    5. As it grows thicker, you will need to trim your riccia so that the bottom layer still gets light. If you don't, the bottom layer will rot, and the entire top layer will come floating up (and then u need to retie).
    6. You will need to constantly scoop floating bits of riccia from your water surface.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 12/17/2002 1:47:19 AM

i've tied my ricca on a piece of mesh and after a month it starts to float it isnt much there's still some gaps in the mesh how do i make the mesh sink or should i tirm the ricca?
    ----------------
    Simple, tie weights on them... or place some pebbles on them to keep them down. Alternatively, tie them to bigger stones or bogwood.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr site

Feedback Score
    For me, I find gravel most effective. Just sprinkle some on top and it will be fine. Cheers

Feedback Score
    Yah...gravel and regular trimming[]

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Best solution... be like Allen and me... don't have them at all...

Just kidding.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i hazard a guess that next year, the so-called Big Riccia (actually Pellia endiviaefolia) will take over the normal riccia in the "where can I get this plant free" category. what i read in one magazine (practical fishkeeping i think) is that the European suppliers are waiting for a major trade show early next year to officially launch this liverwort.... so that's probably why stocks are hard to come by at the moment.

unlike riccia, Pellia sinks naturally... and doesn't need bright light.... only thing is you need to invest in a chiller or at least good fans.... I find that above 28 C they turn brown and die. Otherwise it's a great groundcover plant or for tying to wood for a nice staghorn effect.

I saw it before at Pet Safari at "wild" prices. Bioplast also has it, but not sure if they will sell.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Only problem I find is that pellia doesn't pearl like Riccia... or if it does, I haven't seen it... iin which case it doesn't look as nice and won't be as well liked as riccia.
    Allen