Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: newbie need advice....please help

Feedback Score

newbie need advice....please help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I am new to this forum and seeking for some experts advice to implement planted tank....

Currently I have a common 3 feet tank with top filtering system, the tank is separated into half because of my 2 flowerhorns can not get along.

The question now is, I am interested to implement half of my tank(1.5 feet) to planted tank, of course I have to get rid of one of my flowerhorn, is that possible to do it this way, half tank rear flowerhorn and second half change to planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    firstly, overhead filters isnt too ideal for planted tank as the disturbance of the outflow on the surface.. but it can be modified.
    secondly, LH requires hardwater using coral... but in planted tanks, it limits the choice of plants, cause many plants require softwater or below pH 7

Feedback Score
    thanks for your reply...

that's mean the first thing I have to do is get rid of both my flowerhorns or buy a new set of tank.

although I can't switch to planted tank now, but I will still come to learn more from you guys to build my knowledge base about planted tank.

By the way, I see that some members mentioned DIY CO2, actually how to do this?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    colim98,

the Aquatic FAQ section of the forum has some general articles on DIY CO2 as well as things that are needed for setting up a planted tank. The past posts on this Planted Tank section also has some extensive write-ups. Feel free to browse through these archives, and I hope the information will help give you a clearer idea of what's required. But everybody's situation is unique (whether tank size, location, concept, budget, type of plants etc) so please post any additional questions here for the forumers to address. To help us answer your queries, it's best to provide as much information as possible about what kind of setup, budget, maintenance level etc you have in mind.

Agree with the rest that the requirements for luohan and planted tanks are very different, so it's best to have a separate tank.

----------------
    On 12/17/2002 4:05:08 PM

that's mean the first thing I have to do is get rid of both my flowerhorns or buy a new set of tank.

----------------
    Oh, what are you going to do with your unwanted luohan? Are you going to steam it or BBQ it with sambal?
    Another quality, non aquatic-related post from mrs budak!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi colim98, to add on to Simon advise, the overhead filter is also not suitable for planted tank as it will block the light from the the light supply so some of your back ground plant will not get enough lighting.