Singapore

Queries on planted tanks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Bros,

I have a big question for planted tank.

1) Do i really need a canister for planted tank?
    2) Beside a canister, for budget constraint any other alternative?
    3) Corner filters can do the job or HOF?
    4) Whats the diff between soil and gravel? I have seen some bros mix soil with gravel as in top layer is sand and lower layer is soil. If thats the case, thats no way that they can clean the gravel or separate them if they wanted to.
    5) Wood or stones in planted tank does not makes a diff rite? If yes coral stones and wood, which is better?
    6) When setup the planted tank, do i have to buy all the plants i wanted to plant and setup at one go or i can increase bit by bit? Reason for the question is that it really takes time to source for plants.
    7) If we cant source for all the plants within a day and say maybe 2 weeks. Where and how can we keep the plants if is better to setup everything together?
    How do i know how much CO2 needs to be release into the thank? Any criteria or any ways to determine? Trial and error? Depends on tank size or depends on how heavily planted the tank is? Or depends on the types of plants?
    9) What plants are recommended as in maintenance free that i dun need to trim frequently.
    10) I love Riccia can i have one whole foreground full of riccia with no moss?
    11) Some bros commented that shrimps prefer moss and is better to have moss than riccia.

By the way, I have one BIGGEST question of all the above!!! Dun know did anyone face this kind of issue as me!!! For a starter and a noob like me, initial question seems to be straight forward and as the more we read and the more we listen, more and more question surface. Worst, those initially you thought that was not a question now becomes a question and it reach a stage of stuck and phobia... like dun know how to begin...

Hainz......

Thats all for tonite...

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh, let me kick start with your questions but don't take my words too seriously for i'm not exactly that good with starting a tank. Do correct me if any bro find mistakes with my half truths.

1) Do i really need a canister for planted tank?
    No. Canisters have filter medium that houses bacteria that can help cycle and filter the water effectively. Whether you need it depends on the size of your tank, flora and fanua mass. And your budget.

2) Beside a canister, for budget constraint any other alternative?
    Other filters in the market can do the job as well, but again subjected to the factors as mentioned above.

3) Corner filters can do the job or HOF?
    Refer to (2)

4) Whats the diff between soil and gravel? I have seen some bros mix soil with gravel as in top layer is sand and lower layer is soil. If thats the case, thats no way that they can clean the gravel or separate them if they wanted to.
    Once the substrate is inside a filled tank, you dont really clean it as it will cloud the tank water leading to all sorts of problem.

5) Wood or stones in planted tank does not makes a diff rite? If yes coral stones and wood, which is better?
    Wood or stones depend on your design concept. Wood will leech tannic so you need to treat them before adding to your tank. Stones are much heavier, and increases the load on the cabinet or frame. Coral stones are from salt water sources? Probably not suitable for a fresh water tank?

6) When setup the planted tank, do i have to buy all the plants i wanted to plant and setup at one go or i can increase bit by bit? Reason for the question is that it really takes time to source for plants.
    Unlikely you will get all the plants at one go, unless you only use one type of plants for a minimalist scape.

7) If we cant source for all the plants within a day and say maybe 2 weeks. Where and how can we keep the plants if is better to setup everything together?
    For a new tank, it is usually advised that you plant heavily to cycle the tank. But along the way you can always add plants here and there

How do i know how much CO2 needs to be release into the thank? Any criteria or any ways to determine? Trial and error? Depends on tank size or depends on how heavily planted the tank is? Or depends on the types of plants?
    You can use bubble counter and drop checker to determine the amount of Co2 you need for the tank. You might want to check out some of the thread already posted on this.

9) What plants are recommended as in maintenance free that i dun need to trim frequently.
    Ferns and mosses are good to start with

10) I love Riccia can i have one whole foreground full of riccia with no moss?
    Yes. Check out Salphur's scape http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=43626

11) Some bros commented that shrimps prefer moss and is better to have moss than riccia.
    Not too sure about that, but i don't think its a problem

Don't worry too much. If all else fail, stuck or having phobias, use your "instinct loh" (sorry, can't resist the pun )

cheers
    Bern still suck at Water Chemistry + Plant Names

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I am not sure what are the websites that you have read, but have you gone through the stickies in the Beginners' Corner?

This website, http://www.aquatic-plants.org/articl...ges/index.html, is highlighted in one of the stickies, and provides answers to some of the questions you are asking. I would suggest to read it, and read it well, once, twice, maybe more. Make sure you go through all the sections of the website at the bottom of the page, water, filtration, CO2, light etc. IMHO, this is one of the easier to understand and well written basics of planted tank.

Perhaps, after which, you would like to post your answers to your own questions. I think, this way, it's easier to know to provide feedback to your doubts based on what your answers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks...

Will try to read... but i am sure it will take my ages... hianz..

Thanks