Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching between Canon and Nikon?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Switching between Canon and Nikon?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just wondering after launching of the Nikon D700 and most of Canon user had jump over to Nikon. Does Canon really that bad that Nikon can beat their DSLR in term of pricing and quality?
    Corydoras & Pleco Community Biotope Tank Planted Tank Journal
    Keeping fish as pets can be a rewarding hobby.
    Designing and maintaining your aquariums is a wonderful creative outlet.
    Watching your fish swim around is both relaxing and fun.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    most canon users? is that true? Anyway I don't see the point of this brand comparison... there are people who use Olympus/Pentax and take fine photos so....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    When you mentioned "most of the canon user"? who are those users?

If you are a serious photographer using a particular brand, very unlikely for someone to switch camps, especially when you are familar with the system and not unless there are certain reasons for the change. However, it is not uncommon for many photographers with 2/3 or even more system.

example: Canon has the MPE-65, great for super close macro 5:1, Nikon hasn't have anything to match that range, I know a few Nikonians who bought a Canon DSLR to use with the MPE-65. But the reverse is seldom seen, since the majority of the lenses offered from both camps is almost similar.

Whatever is offered in the body of a DSLR (in terms of function/features) is not comparable or the determinant of the quality of the output, as to what the quality of the glass will make in terms of overall result.

At the end of the day, what makes a photograph good really lies on the photographer and his equipment, give the best to the worse photographer will still yearn the same awful result. Give the worse to a better photographer probably gives you a photograph with good composition/framing but lack the essential elements to make it a great photograph.

I wouldn't mind getting a nikon if their FF is cheaper than Canon's.. provided I can get a DSLR + a desired lens = Canon 5D

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I recently switched. I bought a Voigtlander system. Muhahahaha! I now have full frame with 49 MB file output and I can use lenses from any brand!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    heheh age old canon-nikon talk. I think the latest nikon DSLR from D300, D3 and now D700 are all very good cameras. They really have caught up with Canon in terms of technology and gone even better in some areas. But to say most canon users have jumped ship is overstating it. There will always be people who have the cash and like to try out the latest stuff. But for many of us, the significant amount invested in the lens of a particular brand makes it a pain to switch camp. You stand to lose quite a significant amount in order to build an arsenal of the same range that you had previously. I myself do not see anybody switching camp entirely at all around my group of bird photography friends. Some have gone on to get the latest Nikon and use two systems. It's a technology race and sooner or later, Canon is going to catch up again (hopefully). And what to do then? Switch back?
    If a few generation of equipment has passed and Canon has really lagged behind alot, then yes, probably there will be higher percentage who will switch, especially from the hobbyists' point of view. For most hobbyists out there, I believe whatever Canon has at the moment is more than enough to satisfy their requirements. At the end of the day, I agree that all systems have their good and bad, it's highly up to the photographer's skills and ability to master whatever system they are using. Just my two cents.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    I recently switched. I bought a Voigtlander system. Muhahahaha! I now have full frame with 49 MB file output and I can use lenses from any brand!!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!

Cheers,
    Isit? Benny...can use with my 600mm? Then I can crop alot alot!!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Careful here, you don't want to start a Nikon vs Canon war. Anyway, I think a lot of people here uses Canon and most of them aren't switching. But seriously, I don't care which camera you use as long as you can provide good results. People who keep saying the brand they are using is better than the other is probably trying to convince themselves that they've made the right decision choosing a particular brand. For me, every brand have their edge and their limitations. Choose one you like and get on with it. Be good at using what you have. And if you have lots of time and money, get a second brand and be good at that too.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well said luenny. Self justification is a big component of the perceived brand loyalty. If you don't need to justify it, then it doesn't matter so much.

Anyway, I have said it upteen times before and I repeat myself again..

It's not the camera, it's the technique. It's not the settings, it's the setup.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by quix View Post
    Isit? Benny...can use with my 600mm? Then I can crop alot alot!!!!
    Not with your 3.5kg 600mm monster!!! My camera will be more of a rear lens cap than anything else.

Options for me includes 1000mm f/11 at only 1.8kg.

http://www.cameraquest.com/crflen.htm

But I'm not shooting birds with rangfinders. More family and documentary.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Spot on Luenny,
    Don't think many people will switch brand on a wimp, like a new release with new and better features. If that is the case the merry go round will never end. Just learn your system well, get the best of it.
    Richard
    Canon 20D 100mm Macro EF-S 18-55mm EF-S 55-250mm EF-400mm f5.6 Speedlite 550EX 2x420EX ST-E2
    http://www.trident.smugmug.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Guys,

Wah I just never check for a few hours so many reply already..
    Ya i know that to get a good photograph is not just the camera itself and also the person behind it.

Luenny,
    No i'm not going to start a war between this 2 brands and if really does it had happen long ago. This 2 brands had been mention a thousand times.

Benny,
    What is that camera? Any picture of it? I think i am abit mountain tortoise first time hear a camera can mount any brand of lens.

budak & Simon,
    I dont wanna mention their name/nick. Not from AQ is from CS. I know that in AQ most of us are Canon user/supporter. While you read all the post/thread in clubsnap you may come across some of them using canon jump over to nikon buy selling all his lenses. If you ever come across in the B/S thread you will know.

Simon,
    I know that bird shooters equipments are very highly cost and if they plan to change to the dark side will be at a loss.

All,
    I start this thread is that when the Nikon D700 and so many people are talking about it and wanted to get it. Just curious to know that is it that This D700 have some function that has highly/better functions than Canon? Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe that D700 also a FF so i think Canon 1D MK III can compare with it. I never used a FF before and currently holding a crop body and trying to master it by keep shooting every week.

When i start photography and choose to get Canon is because my first digi cam is Nikon and the battery always flat very fast like half a day the battery flat. So my 2nd digi cam is Canon and it wont give me that problem and long lasting. Thats why i choose Canon. Any slogan for Canon? Like Nikon they call the Dark Side!! Just kidding...

If this thread is necessary any mod can just close it for me.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Nikon has D3 and D700 as full frame, on Canon side there are 5D and 1Ds MkIII (not the 1D MkIII which is 1.3× crop).
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    Nikon has D3 and D700 as full frame, on Canon side there are 5D and 1Ds MkIII (not the 1D MkIII which is 1.3× crop).
    ok noted.. thanks choy..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Not saying that you start a war but just to be careful that's all. Anyway, I used to use Nikon a long long time ago where everything was manual. I even had a camera that can work without battery. Then I threaded all that for Canon and regretted. So I'm back to Nikon. It's a personal preference. I won't go pin point why I don't like Canon.

Anyway, people may jump ship because of their own reasons. D700 is a FX and it's cheap compare to other FX. That may be one reason. D700 has good noise control like D3 and it's more affordable compare to D3, that may be another reason. Basically, you need to weigh the pros and cons yourself and ask yourself is it better to stay or jump. Or is it better to buy 2 if you can afford it. That way no matter Nikon or Canon ends up on top, you still win.
    - Luenny

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by luenny View Post
    Not saying that you start a war but just to be careful that's all. Anyway, I used to use Nikon a long long time ago where everything was manual. I even had a camera that can work without battery. Then I threaded all that for Canon and regretted. So I'm back to Nikon. It's a personal preference. I won't go pin point why I don't like Canon.

Anyway, people may jump ship because of their own reasons. D700 is a FX and it's cheap compare to other FX. That may be one reason. D700 has good noise control like D3 and it's more affordable compare to D3, that may be another reason. Basically, you need to weigh the pros and cons yourself and ask yourself is it better to stay or jump. Or is it better to buy 2 if you can afford it. That way no matter Nikon or Canon ends up on top, you still win.
    wah.. like that i got to spend more on Nikon and Canon lenses.. Hmm.. I think people who choose either Nikon or Canon had their own reason. Its right that Nikon FX is cheaper. But 1 thing is Nikon ISO can go very high. Is that good?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    only the D3 (and perhaps the D700/D300) have very good high ISO. in fact I should say to-die-for high ISO. previously all their DSLR ISO performance had been quite abysmal.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think calling people Canon or Nikon 'supporters' is meaningless. Most people just use whatever brand they started with, unless there's a really compelling reason to switch (e.g. Canon's MP-E 65 mm for extreme macro). Outside AQ I know plenty of people who take great pictures with Nikon and there's no reason to compare systems at all. Don't let those people who hinge their opinions on single so-called 'features' and simplistic statements (e.g. this brand high ISO low noise) bother you. Nice photos are really about knowing how to use your system than chasing capabilities.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by budak View Post
    I think calling people Canon or Nikon 'supporters' is meaningless. Most people just use whatever brand they started with, unless there's a really compelling reason to switch (e.g. Canon's MP-E 65 mm for extreme macro). Outside AQ I know plenty of people who take great pictures with Nikon and there's no reason to compare systems at all. Don't let those people who hinge their opinions on single so-called 'features' and simplistic statements (e.g. this brand high ISO low noise) bother you. Nice photos are really about knowing how to use your system than chasing capabilities.
    budak,
    Thanks for the advise. Thats a good point!! I will remember it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by budak View Post
    Most people just use whatever brand they started with, unless there's a really compelling reason to switch (e.g. Canon's MP-E 65 mm for extreme macro).
    Not me. For 35mm format, I've gone from Canon FD to Minolta to Nikon (yes, the FM2 and F801) to Canon EF to many others.

Cheers,

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Benny, budak said: "Most people".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast