Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Malayan and Cherry shrimps dying, but CRS and Tiger shrimps are fine!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Malayan and Cherry shrimps dying, but CRS and Tiger shrimps are fine!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've have a tank with 2 Malayans, 1 RCS, 2 CRS, 3 Tigers. However over the past 2 days, my 2 Malayans and RCS died but CRS and Tigers are fine. Not sure why but I suspect it is the acidity of the water.

Did not take any measurements but here are the specs of the tank:

9 x 9 inch Five Plan tank
    1 HOF with sponge media and AC
    Fan (Temp @ 26-27 deg)
    1 mini sponge filter
    Hornwort
    Spiky moss on DW
    Flame moss on DW
    GEX soil (Green Packaging) 1 inch
    Inert Black Quartz 1 inch

Tank Cycled 3 weeks with water from 6 month old matured tank and 2 matured filters and media.

I've always thought that CRS and Tigers were much more sensitive than Malayan and Cherries. But also maybe that the Malayans and RCS were put in one week after tank setup whereas the Tigers and CRS only 3 weeks after.

I believe both are ok with acidic water but maybe different thresholds. Are Malayans and RCS not able to take the level of acidity that CRS and Tigers thrive on?

Thinking of getting Sakuras to comm with the CRS but not sure now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    were the shrimps bought from the same LFS?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nope... Malayan & RCS were bred by myself in my 'Factory'... Tiger and CRS were bought in the same LFS but at different times. Tiger was moved to this tank from the Malayan & RCS 'Factory' tank. CRS was directly from LFS into the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    anyways i doubt its the acidity of the water.
    my CRS+BDS and Sakuras are surviving in the same tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My worry is that if CRS can take up to perhaps down to ph 6.5 and maybe sakuras to 6.6. If my water is 6.5, it would mean that I would be stressing the sakuras.

Prob not acidity causing the problems now that I think over... think Tigers would also go if too acidic.

Maybe because I put the Malayans & RCS in before fully cycled to test water and the effects probably only taking its toll weeks later. I normally get my RCS or Malayans to test water before starting up with my intended fish or shrimp.

Also the RCS & Malayans were moved from a 30 deg tank to a 26-27 deg one. I've got a few tanks next to each other but all different temps... think evaporation rate causing this... have one that is abt 26 without fans.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I see.
    well, its the same case for my gf's dad tank. gave him 200+cherry/sakura +otto + 3 snail. from my defunct big tank.
    was working real well until recently.

his tanks now have lots of matano blue,3 malayan, 3 borneo sucker 1 otto,(15 grade A crs went heaven le),3 snails.

The RCS are dying like flies now. one day i can see like at least 5 corpse.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 7th Aug 2008 at 17:05. Reason: Please kindly refrain from SMS abbreviations: 'ic'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Matano Blue Dot surviving but RCS, CRS, Malayan dead? Probably ph too high. The Matanos thrive in Alkaline water.

I wouldn't keep any fish (except ottos but only maybe) in an A Grade tank and also wouldn't put Matanos and CRS in the same tank (Different parameters).

Mine should all be ok in acidic water but the supposedly hardiest died and the sensitive ones survive. But then again, it could be that the RCS and Malayans had to go through the stress of a partially uncycled tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    nopes. the ph is 7.5 max. so its not too high.i'm pretty sure its not the alkalinity but rather some form of bacteria/pathogen/parasite.Malayans are fine like lil russian tanks rushin in pushing away the rest for food.

my guess is that its the malayans' introduced some new bacteria. cause this malayans were not bought from the usual LFSs i go to.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Are your Matanos breeding? Thinking of starting up a tank for them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    not mine,but my gf's dad's. i thought i saw one berried.
    however they are even more sensitive than crs. Dies like flies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm, does this mean that the malayans carry some pathogen that the cherries cannot handle? I seem to be having the same problem too and I happen to buy both packets of shrimps from the same LFS.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm not too sure if you're implying that ALL malayans carry some pathogen that are lethal to cherries but i have about 6-7 malayans with 5-6 cherries and tons of mixed shrimplets from these 2 species in a 1 footer.

i think for TS maybe its the wrong acclimatisation technique, causing pH (and maybe temperature?) shock for the cherries and malayans since they were the last to be introduced in a lower pH tank.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 11th Aug 2008 at 17:35. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I came back last night from Y618, the uncle there was telling me that there is a problem of keeping malayans with the other shrimps, for some reason or the other, the others do die with the introduction of malayans. This could be with the new batches of malayans, because I did have success of growing them and breeding them together before. Can the gurus shed more light on this matter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by antitrust View Post
    i'm not too sure if you're implying that ALL malayans carry some pathogen that are lethal to cherries but i have about 6-7 malayans with 5-6 cherries and tons of mixed shrimplets from these 2 species in a 1 footer.

i think for TS maybe its the wrong acclimatisation technique, causing pH (and maybe temperature?) shock for the cherries and malayans since they were the last to be introduced in a lower pH tank.
    Nope... the Malayans and Cherries were first in the tank. 1 week after cycling. I normally use them as sacrificial lambs to test water conditions before I introduce the intended species. However they conked off a few weeks later. Tigers were introduced a few days later followed by CRS.

The tank now only houses Tigers and CRS... which was the main intention. I didn't care much about the Malayans and Cherries dying as I have tonnes of those... just concerned as I intend to introduce Sakuras which would be akin to the cherries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle-mania View Post
    I came back last night from Y618, the uncle there was telling me that there is a problem of keeping malayans with the other shrimps, for some reason or the other, the others do die with the introduction of malayans. This could be with the new batches of malayans, because I did have success of growing them and breeding them together before. Can the gurus shed more light on this matter?
    My Malayans and Cherries are breeding happily together in a tank that only houses these 2 species plus bumble bee snails. 1st gen has bred about 5 rounds already and I think the 2nd gen is starting to breed as well. However, I have Cherries that have grown to about XL size and died after labor... so far none for Malayans... think zero malayan deaths in this particular tank so far. But I can't really be sure as I don't count.... too many.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 13th Aug 2008 at 01:04. Reason: Merge posts